Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the Dreamcast (and its relevance in 2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I was kinda mad when they ported Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to the GameCube, leaving even fewer exclusives on the console.

Has anyone played Crazy Taxi or Sonic Adventure 1/2 on the GameCube? Or PS2 Crazy Taxi? How do the versions compare to the DC?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I was kinda mad when they ported Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to the GameCube, leaving even fewer exclusives on the console.

Has anyone played Crazy Taxi or Sonic Adventure 1/2 on the GameCube? Or PS2 Crazy Taxi? How do the versions compare to the DC?
    There are slight pro's and cons, though overall not much of a difference.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You're forgetting about the Dreamcast Collection for the Xbox 360, both Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure are on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast_Collection

Weirdly the later Steam version of the Dreamcast Collection adds Nights into Dreams into the collection as well, even though it's a Saturn game. Did they run out of decent Dreamcast games or something? Just very odd to add this game.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You're forgetting about the Dreamcast Collection for the Xbox 360, both Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure are on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast_Collection

Weirdly the later Steam version of the Dreamcast Collection adds Nights into Dreams into the collection as well, even though it's a Saturn game. Did they run out of decent Dreamcast games or something? Just very odd to add this game.
    I didnt even know that existed

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    They probably just thought they'd never have another chance to release Nights and shoved it in, because nobody ever thinks of the poor Saturn..

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

After watching MJRs review of Retro Fighters' N64 controller, Im not holding out a lot of hope for the DC controller.

It seems like most Kickstarter backed products fail to live up to expectations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

It's been maybe 5 years since I last had my Dreamcast hooked up. It was always a good time and I look forward to playing it again soon.
    The collection of import shoot'em'ups which trickled out toward the end of the systems life are all very unique and fun games. Sure most have been re-released on other platforms since then, but for me nothing beats playing them on the original console with the optical ASCii Stick with rumble - that's my favorite joystick ever and was never replicated on any other system since, so that will always provide a lot of appeal for the Dreamcast.
    Rez, Trigger Heart Exelica, Gunbird 2, Psyvariar 2, Zero Gunner 2, Ikaruga, Border Down, Shikigami No Shiro 2, Radirgy, Karous, Under Defeat, Trizeal, Mars Matrix, Giga Wing 2 ...along with Bangai-O, Cannon Spike, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Cosmic Smash, Lack of Love, Yu Suzuki Game Works - those games will always make the Dreamcast relevant in my opinion - throw in other guilty pleasures like The Lost Golem, Confidential Mission, Outtigger, Red Dog, Bomberman Online, Dynamite Cop 2, Rush Rush Rally Racing, Sturmwind, Pro Pinball Trilogy, Gunlord, etc = that's one heck of a tight collection of really fun games to play.

Coincidentally, the Milestone developed shmup Karous just got an English translation.
    I'd always hoped the Eldorado Gate series would see a translation... I wonder if that will hapen one day.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I had PS2 Crazy Taxi as a kid. I remember Dreamcast Crazy Taxi being slightly better, felt more natural with the controller.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    They probably just thought they'd never have another chance to release Nights and shoved it in, because nobody ever thinks of the poor Saturn..
    The Saturn should get more compilations released, sadly it gets less love than the Dreamcast for whatever reason.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GAmecube version is great, and since you can play it on the Wii, you are saving your DC from a bit of wear

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danny_galaga View Post
    GAmecube version is great, and since you can play it on the Wii, you are saving your DC from a bit of wear
    I mean granted, playing it on the Gamecube _also_ saves your DC from a bit of wear....

Though I kinda wonder why you'd even have a DC if you're not gonna use it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I mean granted, playing it on the Gamecube _also_ saves your DC from a bit of wear....

Though I kinda wonder why you'd even have a DC if you're not gonna use it.
    Metropolis Street Racer

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by danny_galaga View Post
    Metropolis Street Racer
    I have to legit ask how you can play that game? Using a wheel? Because the standard DC analog is simply garbage when it comes to racing games, that one in particular.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The Dreamcast homebrew/indie games have kept the console relevant to me. I've added a heck of alot of games to my Dreamcast library thanks to folks like Hucast Games, RedSpotGames, NG.DEV.TEAM, GOAT Store and JoshProd. The Beats of Rage game engine was used to make dozens of homebrew beat-em ups on the Dreamcast and many are now in my Dreamcast collection. I found English translations for Fire Pro Wrestling D and Frame Grid. I have Dreamcast ports of DOS and Windows games like Quake, DOOM, DOOM II, Jazz Jackrabbit, Heretic, Whispered Secrets, Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari), Day of the Tentacle and Divi-Dead. Plus Arcade games such as Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Golden Axe The Curse of Death Adder, Rush'n Attack and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But perhaps the ones I'm most grateful to have are the NEO GEO games ported to the Dreamcast. I bought many titles individually so I could have the case and disk art for each title and have practically the entire NEO GEO library. NEO GEO games look and play great on the Dreamcast and the single stick Dreamcast controller seems perfect for the single stick Neo Geo games. Plus the "arcady" nature of NEO GEO games seems like a great fit in the Dreamcast library. I finished off my Dreamcast hombrew collection with the collection of the unreleased Dreamcast games - Agartha, Geist Force, Half-Life, Hellgate, Propeller Arena and ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth.

I recently purchased a Black Dog Technology Dreamcast HDMI Kit. With it, I'm going to have the Caps replaced, Fan replaced, Controller Port Fuse Replaced, a removable Battery Mod and Region Free Bios installed - making it the most "revelent" Dreamcast console I own. For my unmodded Dreamcast consoles, I use a Beharbros Toro VGA adapter with the XRGB Mini or OSSC to play Dreamcast games using HDMI.

But the truth of the matter is that I've always thought Dreamcast games looked great just using S-Video.
    I've been collecting older HD TV's that have S-Video inputs for just that reason.
    And I also agree that lot of games that came out for PS1, N64 and DC look the best on the Dreamcast.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I just got my S video cable in the mail. It looks really good upscaled to 720p. I went from RF to that and RF is unplayable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I have to legit ask how you can play that game? Using a wheel? Because the standard DC analog is simply garbage when it comes to racing games, that one in particular.
    Mad skillz

Also, this might show you how much I like Crazy Taxi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I find FPS to be hard to play in general without a mouse and keyboard
    I took the liberty of correcting that for you.

In all seriousness though, I love how almost all of the Dreamcast FPS utilize the mouse and keyboard. I never had a big issue using the controller, but once I sourced a keyboard and mouse it was a revelation. Its how I played all the DC FPS from that point to now.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?