Thread: Mega Man addicts unite!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Mega Man addicts unite!

Hi, my name is Moe Dantes, and I'm a recovering Mega Man addict.

I first got hooked on Mega Man when my mom innocently bought me Mega Man 3 from Wal-Mart as a kid. She didn't know what it was, I only vaguely knew, but little did I know that my first taste of that fruit would not be my last. For some reason MM3 and Mega Man X were the only Mega Man games I played as a kid, but as an adult I went back and rediscovered the series, and that is when the troubles began.

Playing Mega Man, watching Mega Man, reading about Mega Man, having dreams about Mega Man.

Here are the signs that you may be a Mega Man addict:

1. You own all the officially released games...

2. ...Even ones you don't own the actual consoles for.

3. You even indulge in fangames and romhacks, something you don't normally do for other franchises, because you just can't get enough.

4. You find said fangames and romhacks don't have that "kaizo" feel that a lot of others do, and are in fact only slightly more challenging than the base games.

And you know your addiction may be approaching critical mass if:

5. You think Cutman speaks with a Peter Lorre accent.

6. You can fluently say "Plug in, Rokkuman Ekuze, TRANSUMISHUN!"

7. You know who/what Dark Man is.

8. You know who/what CRORQ is.

9. You know who King is and wonder why he hasn't returned in subsequent games.

10. It's ever occured to you that you could make an anime waifu harem consisting entirely of different incarnations of Roll.

11. You think the prices for the US Saturn release of Mega Man 8 are reasonable.

12. You thought the Happy-Happyist cult in Earthbound was making fun of you.

Questions Mega Man Addicts Must Ask Themselves

Question 1 - Captain N: Okay adaptation, or abomination to never be spoken of again?

Question 2 - Between Mega Man Classic and Mega Man X, which is better?

Question 3 - Are Legends and Battle Network really Mega Man games or are they just games that happen to feature a character named Mega Man? (This isn't asking if you like them or not)

Question 4 - Is a Buster-only speedrun worth doing?

Question 5 - Why aren't there more Mega Man X fangames?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I could just never get into any of the Mega Mans from X going forward. The feel of the game was a lot different than the NES ones.

Mega Man 2-6 are easily the best games on the NES. I wasnt a fan of the first one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I could just never get into any of the Mega Mans from X going forward. The feel of the game was a lot different than the NES ones.

Mega Man 2-6 are easily the best games on the NES. I wasnt a fan of the first one
    MM1 NES suffers a lot from the "first game in a new series" symptom where it feels like a rough idea and the sequels refine it. I still love it but 3 is my favorite, in part due to being the one I had as a kid but also being where the slide was introduced.

I need to pick up the Legacy Collections because I actually never got to play Mega Man 9 or 10. I missed those console generations entirely. I wish someone would just plain put those on an actual NES cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I also could never get into any of the Mega Man games, and I know it's for completely unreasonable reasons. When I first played them as a kid, I thought the jump he did looked silly. That combined with the fact that you couldn't shoot up made me never really give the series a fair chance. One of these days I plan to though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

For me I never played it BITD. I read about it but could never get my hands on it to rent back then, ever. A friend said he had it and we were going to do a round robin of play but then found he didn't have it. A friend of his was borrowing it.

When I did get to play any Mega Man game, I was underwhelmed. While this was many years later and I was pretty steeled against frustrating play, the game didn't do much for me. Compared to other games it felt a little dated, no scratch that, designed to be difficult for the sake of difficulty. As jb mentioned: you couldn't shoot upwards nor could you duck, basic staples of the genre. I never got far as the game didn't thrill me.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I love mega man.. 2 and 3 are the best ones in my opinion..
    Mega 1 aint horrible but it is a little rough/short due to it being the first in the series (and a fairly early nes title).
    And the mega buster cant shoot up, but every mega game has at least 1 weapon that can shoot up.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm assuming we can post in this thread if we're not Mega Man addicts?

Mega Man 3 is my favorite in the series, but I like all of the games. Mega Man 9 is my least favorite because I don't think cheap deaths every two seconds equals difficulty, but then 10 and then 11 after it imo are the best games in the series.

I actually don't care for the Mega Man X games much at all. I like the original Mega Man X, it's pretty well done, while the other ones I think are merely average. So many other SNES and PS1 games I'd rather play over them. Even though Mega Man is slow as molasses in Mega Man 8, atleast it's a far more enjoyable experience. I actually at one time favored X6 over the others, but after replaying it lately and the impossibility to collect everything without massive trial and error of not only getting all the equipment but also using the correct characters. It's impossible for X to even complete a few stages because he can't jump far enough or he's not fast enough. You have to use Zero who's faster or Zero/Falcon Armor to have enough range to actually get past certain areas. It's so stupid that you hit a brick wall simply because the game is so poorly designed that you can't play through as just standard Mega Man. Once you finish all the areas in the game to defeat Gate, if you can't do an air dash or double jump upwards, you can't get past the beginning. So use the Shadow Armor who can climb spikes to still progress, whoops, once you get mid way into the stage there's a jump that is too far for Shadow Armor to make, back to Zero, Falcon, or the Ultimate Armor. The X games are just barely above mediocre as far as I'm concerned.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm kind of odd in that I've played through a number of Mega Man games, but I've never beaten any of the NES games. I've never come across them at a price I'm willing to pay, so I don't own any of the NES carts, and I haven't bothered to pick up any of the collections yet either. What I have beaten are Mega Man X, the first two Game Boy games, Mega Man Xtreme, and all three games of the Mega Man Legends spin-off series (1, 2, and Tron Bonne). I really love MML and am still disappointed about the cancellation of MML3, but I don't have the same fervor for the rest of the Mega Man franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Once you finish all the areas in the game to defeat Gate, if you can't do an air dash or double jump upwards, you can't get past the beginning. So use the Shadow Armor who can climb spikes to still progress, whoops, once you get mid way into the stage there's a jump that is too far for Shadow Armor to make, back to Zero, Falcon, or the Ultimate Armor. The X games are just barely above mediocre as far as I'm concerned.
    I haven't owned X6 in years but I do recall actually making the jump you describe using the shadow armor. You have to be hanging from the VERY bottom of the one ledge (your feet will be dangling in the air) but it IS doable.

@Other posts - I'm not sure why one would be turned off by the inability to shoot upwards. It's not like shooting up was a common thing in NES games that weren't Contra.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Yeah and even in games where youre not "shooting" most your projectiles are side to side; Castlevania series, Mario. Though in Metroid you can shoot up

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

MegaMan X is one of the best snes games, i feel.
    I think that X2 and X3 are good games but not nearly as good as Mega X.

As far as mega games im not crazy about, i think that Mega Man 8 and Mega Man 6 are not fantastic. Also Mega Man soccer is a cool concept but Ive always found it kinda boring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So I'm not sure what protocol is here but I decided to revive this topic to be safe.

My Megaman Addiction took a bit of a turn as now I'm laser-focused on a certain PS1 trilogy. A rather "Legendary" set of Mega Man games you could say.

Yes, I own physical copies of all three Legends games. Funny thing is I actually got Misadventures of Tron Bonne brand new from a Sam's Club that had like ten copies (that weren't selling). If I had known how sought-after that game would become I would've stockpiled. As it is I keep lookouts for second copies out in the wild.

I'm not selling my main copy tho. I love the game too much.

It's funny but I hadn't re-played any of the Mega Man Legends games in over a decade. Largely just because I was afraid I wouldn't like them anymore--which for me and adventure/action-RPG type games is a common issue.

As it happens tho, well... I loved revisiting Legends 1. As for Tron Bonne (a game I hadn't played since originally owning it and had never beaten before two nights ago).... I have to say this: the last time I played a game beginning to end in an 11-hour marathon session was high school. Which for me was two decades ago. So it says a LOT that Tron managed to make me do that again.

That said, I didn't do every single mission, nor did I train up every Servbot (those training games are kinda tedious)--I basically laser focused on just doing the main quest, though I did do all three levels of both the Rob the Bank Mission and that first-person dungeon crawl, simply because those seemed to have their own mini-stories I wanted to see all the way through.

.... As for Legends 1, I was honestly thinking of doing a video called something like "ten reasons MML1 is better than Zelda Ocarina of Time." Which it so clearly is. My last session with OoT was me just getting annoyed with the game but putting up with it, MML I genuinely wanted to continue, which is why I'll be finishing the trilogy later tonight.

Too bad about Legends 3's cancellation, but to be honest I kinda wonder if the Capcom of 2013 would've made the MML3 that fans would've wanted. I feel like Legends 3 has to be a fan-made product or it just won't work.

EDIT Two things I wanted to add.

One... in addition to MML I've also been addicted to watching playthrus of Phoenix Wright. I swear its like every time I get a major game addiction, it turns out to be Capcom. I almost wonder if I shouldn't just become a Capcom fanboy (I used to not even like them... hell for fighting games, I like SNK's King of Fighters more than any of the Street Fighter games).

Two... clarifying my statement on MML3, part of what made MML1 and 2 work for me is they did things different from other 3D games at the time, something I might elaborate on if I make that video (particularly I feel like they had the perfect controls and camera), but I feel like anything made today would probably follow modern gaming trends, and also probably lose everything I liked about MML1-2 and the action bits of Misadventures. The ideal MML3 would be a game that feels like something that would've been a late PS1 or early PS2 game.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 07-24-2019 at 01:20 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmond Dantes For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (07-24-2019)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Everything that came out about MML3 looked good to me and very much in the spirit of the MML sub-series. It did look roughly like a PS2 game, which is about as advanced as anything can be on 3DS, given the weakness of the hardware compared to its contemporaries. I think it could've been great, but there are no guarantees of course. Even at the height of the sub-series, I think they still took some missteps. I had pretty mixed feelings about Tron Bonne when I finally played through it for the first time last year. I enjoyed some aspects of it, but it was frequently frustrating and overall made for a disappointing experience with a game I was looking forward to playing through for a long time (as the last MML game I hadn't played). And as much as I like MML2, I still like the first game more. So every MML game I've played I've liked less than the one before it. It would've been a shame if I liked MML3 even less than Tron Bonne, but on the flip side, if I liked it more than Tron Bonne, it would've been a better way to cap off the sub-series for me (since I would have no expectation of getting a MML4 too).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

It seems like a lot of people wind up liking MML2 less than the previous games. I'm halfway through it now and I'm getting burned out, altho a lot of that is that I stopped to grind (something I barely did in MML1. Hard to say if I did in Tron Bonne since you know the whole goal is to get lots of money). I might be having fun if I just speedran the game.

I think I see one issue tho, one I remember the Mega Man Home Page citing--the first game felt more "personal." In that you felt more connected to Kattlelox Island and everything going on there, whereas MML2 is just "here are some places." And why exactly did Glyde and/or his Birdbots kidnap that girl on Calbania Island? I also could've done without the needing to take a quiz on real-world trivia to earn an item--it should've been a race or something like that, something which challenges skill rather than patience.

But mainly I just feel like some of the new elements don't help and the game design was a little too stubborn. If main quest dungeons are now gonna ask me to bring along a drill to access secrets, the game should've allowed me to carry two sub-qeapons that I could switch between rather than being forced to run back to Roll just because I saw a crack in a wall. I'm at the water dungeon now, which.... yeah, water dungeon. Always a good idea.

MML2 could use a remake, because a lot of its ideas could work, they were just poorly implemented the first time around.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've actually always felt like the odd one out for preferring the first one. When I encounter other MML fans, they virtually always prefer the sequel. It seems to be mainly on the basis of MML2 being longer, as a lot of people think more content is automatically better, especially when the first game is fairly short.

Part of my preference is from the more personal feel, yeah. I feel more attached to the characters and setting of the first game. There's also the fact that the world is literally more connected, with how the dungeons are linked. MML2 is more disjointed. It can mostly be ignored, but the side content in MML2 is pretty annoying. I don't even want to know how much time I wasted on the quiz or the races. I remember putting in a ridiculous amount of time into the races, practicing endlessly, to beat Mad Mossa's top times, since the game made it out as if you'd get something for doing so, only to get jack squat.

Don't get me wrong, I still like MML2 a lot, and I certainly like it MUCH better than Tron Bonne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    starkreality

This is a great thread. I love Mega Man..... My first Mega Man game was Mega Man 2. When I knew I wanted to get into the series as a whole, I counted my change jar with my Dad who took me to Toys R 'Us specifically to use the money to get Mega Man 1. From that point forward, every Mega Man release was a big deal. I loved the X series but fell out of everything around Mega Man X2, until the new games were released on the Playstation. Now, when I dig through my collection I am realizing that I've bought the various "Mega Man Collection" and "Mega Man X" collections several times. I've got a sealed PS2 Mega Man X Collection next to me as I type this.

Aussie28 mentions Tron Bonne above - I never played Mega Man Legends 2, but I've got the first one and Tron Bonne on PS1 disc here as well. I have fond memories of the Tron Bonne game, but I don't know how well it would fare if I were to play it right now. A lot of my Mega Man games basically sit in my collection as archetypes of fun and important stuff in gaming history. They basically just need to be there....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

We've got a perfect trifecta here--one person played Tron recently and was addicted, one played it recently and wasn't big on it, and one hasn't played it recently.

We need a tiebreaker my man and you are it!

I just finished the Legends trilogy with MML2, finally getting a little burned out, but there are some things I kinda wonder.

First... are Roll and Mega Man actually in a romantic relationship, or are they really close bro and sis (not biologically related but still seeing each other that way)?

Second tho.... now that my memory is refreshed, I kind of wonder how MML3 would've worked. I know I said that before but now I'm talking from a story.

See, Legends 2 felt to me like it was meant to be the conclusion of the story, and the "cliffhanger" feels more like a joke than anything (and honestly its a really easy situation to solve). Like it feels like all the mysteries have been solved and there's nothing left to explore. MML3 would have to invent retcons I think.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't think it would've been too hard to introduce a new plotline with new mysteries to solve, but I agree with you that MML2 ties things up pretty neatly. I've never understand all this "cliffhanger" talk, with people acting like the ending of MML2 is proof the developers had planned to continue the story and that the story desperately needs a conclusion or something. I guess some people are too accustomed to "and everybody lived happily ever after" conclusions. I mean, yes, MML2 ends with an unresolved situation, but the ending is presented in such a way that the player is assured it will be resolved and will just take some time. It's not necessary to time skip ahead to show that situation solved, and it definitely doesn't require another whole game to show it.