Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Mega Man addicts unite!

Hi, my name is Moe Dantes, and I'm a recovering Mega Man addict.

I first got hooked on Mega Man when my mom innocently bought me Mega Man 3 from Wal-Mart as a kid. She didn't know what it was, I only vaguely knew, but little did I know that my first taste of that fruit would not be my last. For some reason MM3 and Mega Man X were the only Mega Man games I played as a kid, but as an adult I went back and rediscovered the series, and that is when the troubles began.

Playing Mega Man, watching Mega Man, reading about Mega Man, having dreams about Mega Man.

Here are the signs that you may be a Mega Man addict:

1. You own all the officially released games...

2. ...Even ones you don't own the actual consoles for.

3. You even indulge in fangames and romhacks, something you don't normally do for other franchises, because you just can't get enough.

4. You find said fangames and romhacks don't have that "kaizo" feel that a lot of others do, and are in fact only slightly more challenging than the base games.

And you know your addiction may be approaching critical mass if:

5. You think Cutman speaks with a Peter Lorre accent.

6. You can fluently say "Plug in, Rokkuman Ekuze, TRANSUMISHUN!"

7. You know who/what Dark Man is.

8. You know who/what CRORQ is.

9. You know who King is and wonder why he hasn't returned in subsequent games.

10. It's ever occured to you that you could make an anime waifu harem consisting entirely of different incarnations of Roll.

11. You think the prices for the US Saturn release of Mega Man 8 are reasonable.

12. You thought the Happy-Happyist cult in Earthbound was making fun of you.

Questions Mega Man Addicts Must Ask Themselves

Question 1 - Captain N: Okay adaptation, or abomination to never be spoken of again?

Question 2 - Between Mega Man Classic and Mega Man X, which is better?

Question 3 - Are Legends and Battle Network really Mega Man games or are they just games that happen to feature a character named Mega Man? (This isn't asking if you like them or not)

Question 4 - Is a Buster-only speedrun worth doing?

Question 5 - Why aren't there more Mega Man X fangames?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I could just never get into any of the Mega Mans from X going forward. The feel of the game was a lot different than the NES ones.

Mega Man 2-6 are easily the best games on the NES. I wasnt a fan of the first one

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I could just never get into any of the Mega Mans from X going forward. The feel of the game was a lot different than the NES ones.

Mega Man 2-6 are easily the best games on the NES. I wasnt a fan of the first one
    MM1 NES suffers a lot from the "first game in a new series" symptom where it feels like a rough idea and the sequels refine it. I still love it but 3 is my favorite, in part due to being the one I had as a kid but also being where the slide was introduced.

I need to pick up the Legacy Collections because I actually never got to play Mega Man 9 or 10. I missed those console generations entirely. I wish someone would just plain put those on an actual NES cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I also could never get into any of the Mega Man games, and I know it's for completely unreasonable reasons. When I first played them as a kid, I thought the jump he did looked silly. That combined with the fact that you couldn't shoot up made me never really give the series a fair chance. One of these days I plan to though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

For me I never played it BITD. I read about it but could never get my hands on it to rent back then, ever. A friend said he had it and we were going to do a round robin of play but then found he didn't have it. A friend of his was borrowing it.

When I did get to play any Mega Man game, I was underwhelmed. While this was many years later and I was pretty steeled against frustrating play, the game didn't do much for me. Compared to other games it felt a little dated, no scratch that, designed to be difficult for the sake of difficulty. As jb mentioned: you couldn't shoot upwards nor could you duck, basic staples of the genre. I never got far as the game didn't thrill me.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I love mega man.. 2 and 3 are the best ones in my opinion..
    Mega 1 aint horrible but it is a little rough/short due to it being the first in the series (and a fairly early nes title).
    And the mega buster cant shoot up, but every mega game has at least 1 weapon that can shoot up.