Thread: Most revolutionary year in video game history?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Most revolutionary year in video game history?

I have to go with 2001.

I really believe that Grand Theft Auto 3 and Halo brought gaming to the masses moreso than anything previously and anything since.

I also dont know for certain but I believe Gran Turismo 3 was one of the highest selling games of all time. It was one of the first console games I am aware of that looked photo-realistic.

It was a good year in general obviously for gamers what with the releases of the Game Boy Advance, GameCube, and Xbox but the games is what people talk about more than anything.

This was also the first year where the current 3 relevant console makers first started competing against one another. The landscape hasnt really changed much since Sega started going third-party. I guess other than Sony introducing a competitor to Nintendo's portable.

The only other year I can think of is 1995 just because of the release of the PS1, a console that did everything right at the time and completely dominated the market henceforth thereafter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (07-11-2019)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Here are some years that stand out as revolutionary:
    1972. Pong and original Odyssey.
    1976. First plug-in cartridge system (Channel F).
    1977. First SUCCESSFUL plug-in cartridge system (Atari VCS).
    1980. First third party game maker (Activision)
    1981. First online video game (Game Line)
    1983. Video game crash.
    1986. Revival of video game market with NES (in 1985, the NES was NYC-only) and competition with Sega Master System and Atari 7800
    1989. Handheld video games reach quality comparable to TV video games (Game Boy)
    1993. First mainstream, polygonal 3D (Star Fox) and beginning of 32 bit generation
    1995. Beginning of real 32 bit generation, launch of PS1 (and Saturn)
    1996. Super Mario 64 sets standard for 3D platformers
    1998. Beginning of Sony's nearly uninterrupted dominance of the home console market (N64 was in the lead in 1996-1997)
    2000. Launch of PS2
    2001. The things you mentioned, plus Xbox was first console with hard drive
    2002. Launch of Xbox Live, first centralized online service with widespread success
    2006. Launch of PS3 and Wii, Xbox 360 still new, online capable consoles come to the forefront.

That's 16 years. I'm going to have to vs. them against one another to get them to 8, then to 4, then to 2, then to 1.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WelcomeToTheNextLevel For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (07-13-2019)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I would rank them:

1. 1986
    2. 1995
    3. 2006
    4. 1980

Here's the "tournament":
    '72 vs '76: 1976. The original Odyssey wasn't fully a "video game" the way we see it, more of a video game-board game hybrid with all of its overlays, extra game pieces, etc. Plus while PONG may have come out in 1972, it wasn't in the home until 1975, and 1976 spawned a whole slew of PONG clones. Plus, the Channel F's interchangeable cartridge idea is the same idea that consoles use to this day (with discs or flash memory)
    '77 vs '80: 1980. As beloved as the Atari VCS (2600) is, it wasn't a totally new idea. Third party games, again, was a new concept.
    '81 vs '83: 1983. Sadly. The Game Line and Play Cable services available in the early 80s didn't catch on.
    '86 vs '89: 1986. That grey box brought back video games as we know it, and brought a console manufacturer in that is still healthy today.
    '93 vs '95: 1995. The PS1 was HUGE from day 1.
    '96 vs '98: 1998. The PS1 was starting to get a lot more serious, adult oriented games during this year.
    '00 vs '01: 2001. Beginning of the current 3-manufacturer race with Microsoft entering and Sega bowing out, first console with a hard drive (Xbox) that was designed from the ground up for online.
    '02 vs '06: 2006. At this point, nearly photo-realistic graphics were common, and motion controls also became mainstream (for a while).

'76 vs '80: 1980. Can you imagine gaming without third-party games?
    '83 vs '86: 1986. The revival beats the crash itself.
    '95 vs '98: 1995. '98 owed its status to the PS1's release, and the massive changes of '95.
    '01 vs '06: 2006. The beginnings of the online-capable, photo-realistic graphic, multifunction console era we're in now.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Damn you put a lot more effort into this than I did.

I think all those years you mentioned were relevant to gamers but I think none of them captured mainstream attention except the year that the NES was released, and maybe the year Pong was released. How many non-gamers were turned into gamers because of these products. Id say Pong would be the easiest answer, but NES is up there too, from your list

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (07-11-2019)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

1986. Revival of video game market with NES (in 1985, the NES was NYC-only) and competition with Sega Master System and Atari 7800

this

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bb_hood For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (07-13-2019)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

1996 felt pretty revolutionary to me. Sure, the Saturn and PS1 were already out in '95 (earlier yet if you go by Japanese release dates), but the Saturn was a flop in the US, and the PS1 didn't hit the US until September '95, so it didn't exist in the US in '95 for very long. And a lot of those early PS1 games were old-fashioned and/or limited in one way or another, by still using 2D, or being prerendered, side-scrolling, on rails, etc. It wasn't until '96, and especially with the launch of the N64 and Super Mario 64, that we really started seeing the full potential of 3D and felt the industry shift in an entirely new direction.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm going to say what I think has revolutionized video games the most is Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo bringing indie gaming to the forefront of the industry. Indie gaming was big thanks to Microsoft with Xbox Live Arcade, with both Sony with the PS4 and Nintendo later with the Switch giving a big push towards indies during the launch of each console.

The reason it's so important that indies are mainstream is because the major publishers are pushing out fewer games than ever, and the industry has become so cookie cutter. Without indies, we'd have little variety now days. I will point out that as a major publisher Namco Bandai has picked up in the west from their past releases both releasing a high amount of quality games in many different genres that aren't just exclusive to Japan like they would have been back in the day.

Unfortunately indie games are such a wide reference so I don't exactly know when the first indie game was developed for consoles, the first I know of personally is Alien Hominid on the PS2 in 2004, which was originally posted on Newgrounds(which had all sorts of indie games.) According to Google the Xbox Live Arcade launched on the original Xbox in 2004.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Also going with 1986. The NES brought video gaming back to so many people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

1996 was also the year Nintendo did a double whammy- one with the aforementioned Super Mario 64 but with hardware that made SM64 what it was-the analog joystick. While we had analog before, the N64's analog sticks became an industry standard.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    1996 was also the year Nintendo did a double whammy- one with the aforementioned Super Mario 64 but with hardware that made SM64 what it was-the analog joystick. While we had analog before, the N64's analog sticks became an industry standard.
    Awful controller design though. I wish Nintendo would re-release a modernized N64 controller. I know theres The 3rd party brands but I mean, theyre third party..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Awful controller design though. I wish Nintendo would re-release a modernized N64 controller. I know theres The 3rd party brands but I mean, theyre third party..
    I'm probably one of the few who loved the design. Using it for many games felt like I was shaking hands with the controller-very natural. I can't say my hand cramped using it. Playing the THQ wrestling games was also comfortable.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i'd have to say 1994

reason being that consoles that used CDs cam out this year (late) that made them stick.

sure there were cd add ons for other systems but Saturn and Playstation made it mainstream and i think it was the realization across the industry that they could do games on something other than carts in a home console market

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

3DO came out in November 93 I believe.

And the CD-i was around the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Absolutely 1986 as a few others have already stated.

Many industry firsts or standards were set that year by Nintendo.

When the Nes arrived it not only revived the home console scene, but it also revolutionized the controller with its D-Pad. Here in the states, before Nintendo, everyone followed Atari's arcade footsteps and every home system used joysticks. It's hard to imagine the impact of the D-pad if you weren't there when the transition took place.

Probably in part to the D-pad, there was also a transition in gaming. I am aware there a plenty of exceptions, but in large, before Nintendo, most console games were simple high score arcade games. The Nes brought us Super Mario Bros. which really created a genre "the side scrolling platformer". This was a new concept beyond anything on the Atari, Intellevision or Colecovision. In the arcades we had things like Pac Land and there are glimpses of the platformer on other systems, but Super Mario Bros really brought everything together and set the template that others would follow. It was unlike anything before it.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1993, the year John Carmack & Id Software released perhaps the most seminal video/PC game in history. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout, boys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
    1993, the year John Carmack & Id Software released perhaps the most seminal video/PC game in history. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout, boys.
    Yep....I downloaded Doom on my girlfriend's PC over Prodigy Dial-Up. Tied the phone lines up and her sister was trying to call home to get picked up from somewhere. Oops!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Can't say I've ever remotely cared about Doom (or first-person shooters in general), but then I'm not one of the "boys" either.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

well i am a "boy" (last time i checked) and it wasnt something that blew me away when i played it either so...

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I love Doom but was much more impressed playing Wolfenstein for the first time.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

So nobody agrees with "2001" huh