Thread: SolSeraph, A Spiritual Successor to ActRaiser

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default SolSeraph, A Spiritual Successor to ActRaiser

Granted, this was being released by Ace Team and SEGA as opposed to the original publisher Square Enix (or just Enix at the time if you want to be super accurate). I’m sure that has a lot to do with the decision to go with a different name. The connection to ActRaiser, however, is unmistakable. Not only does it fuse action with town building, it also boasts music by Yuzo Koshiro. While Koshiro is typically known for his work on other titles such as Streets of Rage, the composer also did the music for the original ActRaiser. SolSeraph may not be ActRaiser in name but it is definitely ActRaiser in spirit. Then again, while imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery, it also must be done right to satisfy fans of the original. So is SolSeraph a true spiritual successor or just a pale imitation?
    Read the full review at https://www.rgj.com/story/life/2019/...le/1683421001/

IGN Video Review:

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

IGn has no clue what they're talking about, as usual. I watched a minute in and they stated that the village creation system is too limited compared to its inspiration. ActRaiser's village system is incredibly limited, no depth at all. This game is indeed very reminiscent of ActRaiser, but man, IGN needs to stop throwing comparisons out when the dialogue they've written alongside those comparisons paint a clear picture that they have no fucking clue what they're talking about other than the most limited knowledge about the game they're comparing it to.

I've never played this, and I did enjoy ActRaiser, I'm just saying journalists need to get out of this industry with the constant false bullshit they're spewing out of their mouths. It's a common technique writers use to try and get the reader to relate to them, but it doesn't resonate well with me when you're trying to make me relate to your opinion based off false information. Especially in this review where the guy states "I'm such a huge fan of classic Castlevania" explains some bullshit story about how he's played all of them, such a huge fan, etc, then proceeds to shit on the classic games throughout his entire review. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/c...onicles-review

#FuckGameJournalism
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-11-2019 at 04:51 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's strangely comforting to check these forums after a long absence and see that kupomogli is still the dumbest poster imaginable.
    Last edited by Kid Fenris; 06-24-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Can we please stick to the topic at hand rather than immediately launching into off-topic tirades about games journalism and insults?

Anyway, I think the game looks pretty cool, but I wish it was handled by a Japanese team. It throws me off seeing a game that is both heavily reminiscent of ActRaiser while also having a Western aesthetic that I don't at all associate with ActRaiser. I also wish Koshiro was more involved, as he's only doing the main theme for this.