Thread: Games that made you say "I give up!"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Games that made you say "I give up!"

I honestly try to beat every game I like. But I tend to give up after X amount of tries. Either a game sends me back too far to the last checkpoint for me to want to subject myself to pain over and over, or I hit a roadblock and just cant continue. Here are a few games where I just had to say "enough is enough"

Road Rash 2 - love the game but it just becomes unforgiving at level 4. Any time I get some speed, I cant keep it on the road and I either crash and get busted, or totaled. And you need to drive fast at these stages.

Castlevania - I made it to Frankenstein I believe. It didnt seem terribly difficult but in the leadup to the battle I just lose a ton of health

Circle of the Moon - I made it to Camilla and Im surprised I made it this far. The boss battles in this game are tough but this one might just have me say "f*** it"

Toki - I got to the last boss a few times and just couldnt beat him. I dont want to have to replay the entire game every time I want to face him

Joe and Mac 2 - facing every boss before the final boss is just sadistic. I can usually fare pretty well but then I can only beat Gorks first form.

Metroid 2 - I got lost in this game. No idea where I was supposed to go. My battery died and I lost my save.

Donkey Kong Land - I missed some of the bonuses, no idea where they are. But I sure as hell tried.

Contra - I cant remember how far I got and its been a while since I played it but I dont think I beat it. This one seems doable if I go back and try to replay it.

Ghosts and Ghouls - its a tough game but I like it so may give it another shot

Battletoads - I can get to the boss of Intruder Excluder. It doesnt seem terribly hard but at that point Ive lost so many lives, especially from the fight with Blag. Some day Ill go back and try to beat it.

What amazes me is some games I expected to be hard, I was able to easily finish- Gargoyles Quest 2, Monster Party come to mind, but commonly beaten popular games Ive struggled with.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Go back and beat Contra.. its a pretty easy game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Ghost'n'Goblins really !? It's a terrible port to begin with since it was done by micronics.For GnG,it's best to stick to playing the arcade original and it's far more playable compare to the nes version.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I was referring to the version of Capcom Collection on original Xbox

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Games rarely make me quit because of difficulty alone. If they do, I probably wasn't that seriously trying to beat them to begin with. For example, I've never beaten Rad Racer because it gets tough in later stages, but my playing of it has always been pretty casual. Same deal with Batman on NES. If I do have serious intent to play a game to completion, then what makes me quit is usually a combination of difficulty and dislike for the game. I had wanted to beat Road Runner's Death Valley Rally, even referring to Nintendo Power for help and trying to hit every flag in all the stages, but eventually I threw in the towel because, on top of it being a fairly challenging game, I just couldn't stand the controls, level design, and audio. The graphics are kinda good, in that they're representative of the license, but also really bland and repetitive, so all in all, there was basically nothing in the game I was enjoying. I've pushed myself to beat plenty of bad games, but even I have my limits sometimes.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Games rarely make me quit because of difficulty alone. If they do, I probably wasn't that seriously trying to beat them to begin with. For example, I've never beaten Rad Racer because it gets tough in later stages, but my playing of it has always been pretty casual. Same deal with Batman on NES. If I do have serious intent to play a game to completion, then what makes me quit is usually a combination of difficulty and dislike for the game. I had wanted to beat Road Runner's Death Valley Rally, even referring to Nintendo Power for help and trying to hit every flag in all the stages, but eventually I threw in the towel because, on top of it being a fairly challenging game, I just couldn't stand the controls, level design, and audio. The graphics are kinda good, in that they're representative of the license, but also really bland and repetitive, so all in all, there was basically nothing in the game I was enjoying. I've pushed myself to beat plenty of bad games, but even I have my limits sometimes.
    I got to Seaway Typhoon in Rad Racer. Its a difficult game, but still not as hard as Road Rash 2. At the time that I posted my score at highscore.com, I had the highest score and most people hadnt made it to that level to give you an idea of the relative difficulty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think I did that with "Metroid:Fusion" and one of the "Legend of Zelda: Oracles of.." games. Got to last boss, tried many times but failed. It was mainly because I had my fill of the game. I'm sure after some away-time I could have beat those games.

Now some more modern games I gave up on because I didn't care for them. Unfortunately one has to slog through a chunk of it to get past the tutorial side of things and get to the meat of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

On the Goldeneye remake on the Wii I got to the very very last part where waves of enemies keep coming at you. I repeated the level dozens of times but could never manage to get past so I just decided to quit and never cared to try again.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I was referring to the version of Capcom Collection on original Xbox
    Ok you didn't say which version so i assume the nes one given how broken it is.I myself completed the arcade version years ago,it's not impossible it's just matter memorization of each stage for GnG.I do remember when i played ghost'n'goblins as a kid in arcades it seem to hard but as a adult it's not that bad.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If I give up on a game it's usually because I don't like it. It's not that I don't try to give the game a fair chance either as I do try to play atleast 5-10 hours which is a pretty significant amount of time. At some point I'll try to force myself to continue, but that can turn into me still quitting the game and then completely trashing it when I give my opinion. Awhile ago I actually quit forcing myself to finish games I don't like, why play games that I hate? That's when and why I started selling off games I don't like.

*edit* Depending on how short the game is, 5-10 hours may still mean completion.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-19-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I am going to go with Double Dragon 3 on the NES. To me that game was hard.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    On the Goldeneye remake on the Wii I got to the very very last part where waves of enemies keep coming at you. I repeated the level dozens of times but could never manage to get past so I just decided to quit and never cared to try again.
    This happened to me with the original Far Cry. A stunning, important PC game for its era, and I really really loved it, but about 2/3 of the way in I encountered a "tower defense" area where waves & waves of shielded, high level assault gunmen just kept comin' and a' comin'. Lost my will to continue. These 59 year old reflexes just weren't twitchy enough anymore.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This happened to me with the original Far Cry. A stunning, important PC game for its era, and I really really loved it, but about 2/3 of the way in I encountered a "tower defense" area where waves & waves of shielded, high level assault gunmen just kept comin' and a' comin'. Lost my will to continue. These 59 year old reflexes just weren't twitchy enough anymore.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
    Im just impressed youre still gaming. My dad is 65 and he despises video games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Im just impressed youre still gaming. My dad is 65 and he despises video games.
    Did your Dad always hate video games or did he at least dabble in his callow youth? I've been playing video games since the original Pong so it's become a lifelong thing for me. I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Origins and it's quite enjoyable and more my speed. I need things fairly easy these days and I just did a side mission in the game that rewarded me with a powerful sickle sword that's twice as powerful as any weapon I've yet encountered... but there's a catch - it's a cursed item, and it takes away 2/3 of my health while equipping it. But, hey, it does make things easier. lol.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
    Did your Dad always hate video games or did he at least dabble in his callow youth? I've been playing video games since the original Pong so it's become a lifelong thing for me. I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Origins and it's quite enjoyable and more my speed. I need things fairly easy these days and I just did a side mission in the game that rewarded me with a powerful sickle sword that's twice as powerful as any weapon I've yet encountered... but there's a catch - it's a cursed item, and it takes away 2/3 of my health while equipping it. But, hey, it does make things easier. lol.
    Always hated them. He was always into sports. Which is fine but it seems like he has to choose one over the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Oh man...THAT part...I hear ya. It took a few tries but I got through it. Wasn't Natalia there working on the computer and you had to protect her, or is that another level? What cheesed me off was that the bad guys were lobbing grenades and took me out, but Natalia was still standing, typing in the explosion ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Oh man...THAT part...I hear ya. It took a few tries but I got through it. Wasn't Natalia there working on the computer and you had to protect her, or is that another level? What cheesed me off was that the bad guys were lobbing grenades and took me out, but Natalia was still standing, typing in the explosion ...
    Yeah, that's it. You have to protect her from an endless swarm of enemies as she moves from computer to computer as they get destroyed. The rest of the game wasn't too bad but I never managed to get past that part. It's right at the end of the game so I wanted to beat it for closure but just said screw it because I was way past wanting to move on to something else. I did watch a gameplay video youtube afterwards to at least see the end.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...