Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default ? about Mega Man Legends end credits

So at one point the credits have a section for

"BREATH OF FIRE III
    Special Rescue Team"

The only person(?) listed under this header is "Sound Ring."

Ummm.... why the heck is BOFIII even being mentioned here? Or does having a finished MML save unlock something in BOFIII?

If it does I may need to pick that one up (I remember trying BOFs 1 and 2 and not liking them so I ignored the series after).

Thanks in advance.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I don't have any real information on this, but I think it's worthwhile to note that the Japanese release date (per MobyGames) of BoF III was Sep 11, 1997 while the release date of Rockman Dash was Dec 18, 1997. Given that Rockman Dash came out over 3 months after BoF III, I would doubt that a complete Rockman Dash/MML save file would be incorporated into anything in BoF III. If anything, it would likely be the reverse (if such functionality exists) where a BoF III save would affect Rockman Dash/MML. However, I don't think that's the case.

Additionally, the 'Sound Ring' credit does exist in the Japanese Rockman Dash (at around 4:25 in the video). Using Google Translate on the header for the 'Sound Ring' credit doesn't actually state BoF III Special Rescue Team. Google's crude translation comes out as:

Studio echo
    Central recording

So I'm not sure if it's an 'in joke' that this entity helped with BoF III (probably audio), but that would be my take away from this.
    Last edited by Pr3tty F1y; 07-21-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That would be a very bizarre way to reveal one game or the other recognizing the other's save files, so even though I haven't confirmed it myself, I would guess that's extremely unlikely.

I would take the credits at face value. Since the Japanese release dates are only a few months apart, it's fair to assume there was overlap in their developments. The staff behind MML probably ran into some issue, and a group that had been working on BoFIII must've been brought in temporarily to help resolve the issue, hence being identified as a "Special Rescue Team" and being listed under "Special Thanks" rather than having their individual names listed as a part of the regular MML staff.

I'm not sure if "Breath of Fire III Special Rescue Team" is intended as a header. In the Japanese credits, things are listed either side by side, like "Bug Check" on the left, with a list of names on the right, or with headers in double carets like "<<Special Thanks>>". So I think Breath of Fire III Special Rescue Team is just one individual entry under Special Thanks, and the studios listed after that and "Sound Ring" are their own separate entries under Special Thanks. So the nature of the Special Rescue Team's involvement isn't clear. But if they do have any connection to the studios and Sound Ring, I too would guess audio, probably voice acting specifically.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Breath of Fire Special Rescue Team may have been a group of temps that stayed around longer than projected to help work on the Mega Man game. Just a wild guess.