Thread: My Android game inspired by QBasic Nibbles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Default My Android game inspired by QBasic Nibbles

I made this "snake" game inspired mostly by QBasic Nibbles. It's a modernized take on the genre featuring dynamic shadows with a minimalist design.
    It's out on the Google play store if anyone wants to check it out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cStudios.Shado

Gameplay video:
    Last edited by jb143; 07-30-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added video and reordered title
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I checked it out for a screen. The touch controls have delay (at least on ky Galaxy S8) that made it difficult to manuever but I did not try the alternate controls.

I liked the background music. It seemed to work well with the action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

There is a "delay" because movement happens on a grid. You tell it to turn, it'll turn when it gets to the next grid. It's technically the same on the old games like Nibbles, only then you didn't get the smooth movement between the grid.

The music I looked far and wide for something that matched the action. It was originally even in more sync but I slowed the game down a bit because some of my testers said the game felt a little too fast.

Thanks for trying it out and for the comments.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    There is a "delay" because movement happens on a grid. You tell it to turn, it'll turn when it gets to the next grid. It's technically the same on the old games like Nibbles, only then you didn't get the smooth movement between the grid.

The music I looked far and wide for something that matched the action. It was originally even in more sync but I slowed the game down a bit because some of my testers said the game felt a little too fast.

Thanks for trying it out and for the comments.
    Ahhh..ok. I only had a chance to play it once and I was figuring out when to swipe to do the movements. Knowing there's a grid, it makes sense now.

This grasshopper needs patience. I'll try later when I won't have my brood clamoring for play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I probably need to figure out a way to explain that in game. There really wasn't any other option to handle it, otherwise your "snake" would jump back to the row/column it just passed. I'll probably also add options for a virtual d-pad and an external gamepad at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I recently ran a promotion and have a few promo codes left over if anyone here wants one.

Just go to your Google Play account, click on "redeem", enter a code and it'll let you get the game ad-free

NB9TAM6SWQ5XMJBELLV730U
    RVCVBP5V74SLW7J4G72KB6L
    CLAV4AJ1KX3TFWY6Q6AAC88
    BSASJM1Z7U4AM87H9KZKNAE
    VXXDB6JF1M4H9FGFJU3YGGN

If you redeem a code (or if a code doesn't work) just post here and I'll update the list. Thanks.
    Game link: Shadō: The Minimal Arcade Snake Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I tried it again a little while ago. It's weird with swiping as I'm not used to that. I was able to get past the first level while grumbling at my slow swipe reflexes. I tended to circle a dot like the moon circles the Earth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I didn't mention it in this thread, but I've since added controller and keyboard support. There's also the taping options instead of swiping.

I've also been considering creating a PC version since this one is buried under hundreds of other games on the google play store.