Thread: Atari Lynx

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Atari Lynx

Finally got some batteries for it.

Have a bunch of games but the only one I came across that had a password was Bill and Ted. What a dumpster fire of a cash in that game was.

I like Chips Challenge, but sometimes I need some more action in my games.

Gates of Zendocon is ok. No password though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I kind of like Bill and Ted. It's not great though.

Most of the games are arcade ports and don't really require passwords. I think Crystal Mines II has them though. It's a decent Boulder Dash style game.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

If memory serves correctly, Todd’s adventure in Slime world has passwords in it as well. Honestly though I much preferred my Lynx to my Gameboy back in the day and I remember very much enjoying their take on Rampage as well as turbo sub and Zarlor Mercenary in particular
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Recently picked up my childhood Lynx, and got quite a bit further than I ever had in Turbo Sub (which still wasn't very far, but I'll take it).

I always end up spending most of my time playing the BMX portion of California Games.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Have a bunch of games but the only one I came across that had a password was Bill and Ted. What a dumpster fire of a cash in that game was.
    The Gameboy version of Bill and Ted was good, it was a 2D platform puzzle game similar to Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle and I beat it many years ago. As far as I know every other version is different and terrible.

I did have an Atari Lynx years ago and it was alright, but the games I had for it weren't that great so I sold it off. I can't remember if my system was having issues or not, or if I found another one later that had problems and I sold that one off too. This was all years ago. I'm more surprised I can't remember this all clearly anymore as I would usually not have any issues remembering what I found or owned and what I did with it.

I later found out about Dracula the Undead for the Lynx and I kind of wish I would have kept the console in case I ever came across this game, it's an exclusive that looks really good and I kind of want to play it someday. Assuming I can find the game and console at some point in the furture.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The Gameboy version of Bill and Ted was good, it was a 2D platform puzzle game similar to Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle and I beat it many years ago. As far as I know every other version is different and terrible.

I did have an Atari Lynx years ago and it was alright, but the games I had for it weren't that great so I sold it off. I can't remember if my system was having issues or not, or if I found another one later that had problems and I sold that one off too. This was all years ago. I'm more surprised I can't remember this all clearly anymore as I would usually not have any issues remembering what I found or owned and what I did with it.

I later found out about Dracula the Undead for the Lynx and I kind of wish I would have kept the console in case I ever came across this game, it's an exclusive that looks really good and I kind of want to play it someday. Assuming I can find the game and console at some point in the furture.
    I have Dracula the Undead, brand new. Im hesitant to open it up because of that but maybe I should. I usually dont sell my games anyways

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I used to play Warbirds linked up with a co-worker who I used to go to high school with. Damn, that was fun. He was a pilot (he took a couple of us up in his family's plane one day and tried to make me puke) so it was extra satisfying to shoot him down over and over.

I loved the Lynx. It was my first handheld, and ended up with the majority of the system's library. It forever put me off Nintendo's portables since they always seemed so antiquated and underpowered until the GBA came along.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post

I played Dracula the other night. I had no idea what I was doing, couldnt go very far and the controls werent the most intuitive. Then again, maybe I am just stupid so perhaps youll have better luck with it

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I played Dracula the other night. I had no idea what I was doing, couldnt go very far and the controls werent the most intuitive. Then again, maybe I am just stupid so perhaps youll have better luck with it
    From what I know it's an adventure game, there are various youtube videos that explain the controls. I think you move the character with the d-pad and choose the action to perform by using the menus.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Its definitely a point and click game. It reminded me of Syberia for the Xbox. Maybe I could give it another try but with a resolution of like 100 some odd pixels, its not always easy to tell where youre supposed to go. VG critics review was pretty on point. He gave the game an F.

If you really like Dracula and point and click games, its definitely a winner.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally got some batteries for it.

I like Chips Challenge, but sometimes I need some more action in my games.

Gates of Zendocon is ok. No password though
    I don’t understand what you mean by “No password”
    Gates of Zendocon definitely had codes that allowed you to start at any level.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rxd View Post
    I don’t understand what you mean by “No password”
    Gates of Zendocon definitely had codes that allowed you to start at any level.
    I stand correctef

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I stand correctef

I have Zaku for the Lynx which came out only a couple of years ago. Gorgeous graphics, hard as nails!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I played a round of Shanghai. Its the highest rated Lynx game on GaneFAQs. Boring as hell

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Currently my two best Lynx games are Ms. Pac-Man and Rampage. I think this version of Rampage is one of the best classic versions and it has a 4th playable character not in previous versions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Two great Lynx that I love and didn't mentionned:
    - BattleWheels: an fast and fun 3D combat car game (outstanding technology, and quite fun to play)
    - Rampart: a mix between shooting and strategy (kind of an ancestor for the Tower Defense genre)

I also love Gates of Zendocon a lot!
    Download ROMs of my games: https://drludos.itch.io/
    Support my work and get access to betas and prototypes: https://www.patreon.com/drludos

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I played a round of Shanghai. Its the highest rated Lynx game on GaneFAQs. Boring as hell
    I love Shanghai, and especially the Lynx version for some reason. The low resolution seems like it would make the tiles hard to read, but I never had any trouble with it. The game itself is kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing though.

Slime World is another favourite of mine, and it does some really neat stuff with the sprite scaling capabilities of the Lynx.

--Zero

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I love Shanghai too. Back when this forum had an arcade section, I used to play the version here often. Now if only I could figure out how to properly play real mahjong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Lynx is one of my favorite Atari systems. So many great games and LOTS of outstanding arcade ports.

Paperboy on the Lynx is not only one of my favorite Lynx games but my personal favorite version of Paperboy. I measure every other Paperboy against the Lynx port and have yet to find a better playing version.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?