Thread: gbpxl's GamePurist: a retro game review channel

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default gbpxl's GamePurist: a retro game review channel

I just uploaded my first video. They didnt upload in the correct order for some reason. I wanted the video with the scale to come right after the review, but whatever.

I know its nothing special but I searched for reviews of the game on Youtube and didnt really see anything similar to what I was doing with looking at the PCB, playing on original hardware, not showing any footage, so I thought maybe there will be a niche audience for what I am doing.

I dont have the charisma or the talent of the Metal Jesuses and Pat the NES Punks of the world but I play the games all the way through, I give my honest opinions, and just share my experience as an average gamer who isnt a speed runner or someone who has 10,000 ROMs and is going through and trying to beat every single one and then as soon as theyre done, never give the game another thought.

So as I produce more videos, I will add them here. I dont expect to have a ton of success with this, its more to connect with like minded fans of these games and to give the original carts the love they deserve and showcase them properly.

Here is Wonder Boy for the Sega Master System:
    https://youtu.be/4MaJkSDbXy0
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 08-08-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Changed title to match sub-forum's format style

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Just a friendly tip: if you are going to make videos about video games, dont just record your face talking about video games. No offense but nobody wants to stare at some dudes face for 10 minutes. Take some gameplay footage and talk over that. Furthermore, showing us the PCB is something 99.9% of people arent really gonna care about.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bb_hood For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (08-08-2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

None taken. I got the idea mostly from Films at Home, who does 4K reviews. He doesnt use any footage of the films itself. Its just him talking into the camera. Standing in front of a wall of movies.

I know in the case of films, there is the problem of licensing issues so it makes sense that he does that.

I know that Id get more views if I talked over gameplay footage but I am future proofing my videos for the inevitable day when all these videos get demonetized or taken down because they didnt have the rights to air gameplay footage. It may happen 10 years from now, or tomorrow, or never. I just think the writing is on the wall for those style videos.

I thought about what I could do besides just having a camera on my face for five minutes, and I drew a blank.

I have a friend who does exactly what you are describing, and his views usually average 0 to 5 per video. If you dont have the charisma like Metal Jesus or John Hancock, youre not gonna get views no matter if theres footage or not. Metal Jesus has a video where its just him and his friend on a couch, talking most the time and it has tons of views.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I discuss the Analogue Pocket in my new video

https://youtu.be/NEIGU7kYZuo

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

due to hundreds of requests from people wanting my brilliant insight into one of the greatest and most beloved video games of all time, I present to you my review of Pat Riley Basketball for Genesis

https://youtu.be/c8QfdmNU0Fc

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

first video for 2020 is up

https://youtu.be/5KsJeNeV5KU