Thread: Original SEGA Genesis 6-button Controllers with the Mode Button Versus Other Controllers

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Unhappy Original SEGA Genesis 6-button Controllers with the Mode Button Versus Other Controllers

Where have all the original SEGA Genesis 6-button controllers with the Mode button gone? I see newer "SEGA" ones without the Mode button, and the official SEGA / Retro-bit ones with the Mode button, and unofficial Retro-bit ones without the Mode button, and other old third-party ones with or without the Mode button, and unofficial, unbranded ones without the Mode button on eBay and Amazon. However finding old original ones with the Mode button is proving to be quite a challenge, and even if you find one, the sellers want to be paid much more than for the rest.

Are these other, newer ones without the Mode button worth it? I've heard that many of these are too small (only 75% the size of the original or less) or they have really short cords (only 3 feet long) or they have buttons that shift or rattle or the X-Y-Z buttons are lousy or the D-pad is poor.

Which controllers are good and which ones should be avoided? Thanks.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I don't see any Sega Genesis controllers for sale anymore, the ones I have I purchased years ago. I mostly just use the 3 button controllers anyway but the 6 button ones I have are the old official ones from Sega, I wouldn't trust 3rd party knockoff ones to feel right.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Those newer knockoffs without the mode button often peddled by sellers from China and HK are absolute total garbage. The cords are like 2 feet long, the buttons are dull, milky gray that don't quite fit the holes, and the responsiveness is atrocious. I'd rather not play at all than use those.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I took a chance on the officially licensed Retro-Bit six-button arcade pad when I needed to pick up a second six-button controller recently. I'm glad I did. I don't know how they did it, but it's almost identical to the original. It looks the same, it feels the same, and I've had absolutely no issues with it at all. If you don't want to pay the ridiculous prices for an original, this is worth picking up.

http://retro-bit.com/sega-collaboration

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Where have all the original SEGA Genesis 6-button controllers with the Mode button gone? I see newer "SEGA" ones without the Mode button, and the official SEGA / Retro-bit ones with the Mode button, and unofficial Retro-bit ones without the Mode button, and other old third-party ones with or without the Mode button, and unofficial, unbranded ones without the Mode button on eBay and Amazon. However finding old original ones with the Mode button is proving to be quite a challenge, and even if you find one, the sellers want to be paid much more than for the rest.

Are these other, newer ones without the Mode button worth it? I've heard that many of these are too small (only 75% the size of the original or less) or they have really short cords (only 3 feet long) or they have buttons that shift or rattle or the X-Y-Z buttons are lousy or the D-pad is poor.

Which controllers are good and which ones should be avoided? Thanks.
    I have like 3 or 4 of the smaller genesis 6 button controllers with the mode button. I like the smaller size, cord size is ok, and D-pad is pretty good.
    The only function of the Mode button I know of is when starting up Forgotten Worlds, sometimes you need to hold it down.

I would avoid any 3rd party genesis controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Isn't there a lot of variation in D pad construction between official controllers? With some being more preferred than others?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I have like 3 or 4 of the smaller genesis 6 button controllers with the mode button. I like the smaller size, cord size is ok, and D-pad is pretty good.
    The only function of the Mode button I know of is when starting up Forgotten Worlds, sometimes you need to hold it down.

I would avoid any 3rd party genesis controllers.
    Actually the mode button can be useful for other games.... my nephew had some Power Rangers game which behaved all wonk with a six-button, unless you start up while holding down mode (which puts it in 3-button mode). I've seeen this behavior in other games too, so I usually use 3-button unless the game specifically requires six.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    I took a chance on the officially licensed Retro-Bit six-button arcade pad when I needed to pick up a second six-button controller recently. I'm glad I did. I don't know how they did it, but it's almost identical to the original. It looks the same, it feels the same, and I've had absolutely no issues with it at all. If you don't want to pay the ridiculous prices for an original, this is worth picking up.

http://retro-bit.com/sega-collaboration
    i was going to mention this.

these controllers are pretty damn near the OGs

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Isn't there a lot of variation in D pad construction between official controllers? With some being more preferred than others?
    Having had a few over the years I'd say there are at least a few of them out there. Some of them have especially shoddy d-pads
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Yes, they gradually became worse over the life of the console. The best are the ones that first came with the system, these have red lettering. Later they switched to white lettering, and later they started shortening the cords on these. The overall build quality started to decline along with these more noticeable changes. From ones I've used over the years, the earlier the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Actually the mode button can be useful for other games.... my nephew had some Power Rangers game which behaved all wonk with a six-button, unless you start up while holding down mode (which puts it in 3-button mode). I've seeen this behavior in other games too, so I usually use 3-button unless the game specifically requires six.
    So am I the only person this kind of thing has ever happened to? Because nobody else has described anything like it and I even see a number of other posts claiming that 6-button controllers will work just fine with 3-button games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So am I the only person this kind of thing has ever happened to?
    There's a handful of specific older games, maybe a dozen out of the library of hundreds, that are not compatible with the 6 button controller unless you hold the mode button in when you power the system on (which sets it into 3 button compatibility mode). Off the top of my head; Forgotten Worlds, King of the Monsters, Ms. Pac-Man, and Golden Axe II were the ones I own that required that.

I guess if you're dying to play Ms. Pac-Man on Genesis but you only have a cheapo knockoff 6 button controller with no mode button, then you're SOL. Then again if you're in that situation you've probably died and woke up in some type of Chinese hell.

There's a few games where the mode button is actually used as a regular action button, or the equivalent of the SNES select button, but those are rare as hen's teeth. The only one I can think of is Fatal Fury 2 (and maybe Special) that used it as a taunt button.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

If its only older games then what was the issue with that Power Rangers game (I think it was just called Mighty Morphin Power Rangers... it was a one-plane beat-em-up like the SNES one, not a fighting game)? Cuz like I said, that one was glitching like a mofo until I tried holding in the mode button or using a 3-button controller.

Tho I have had a weird experience where games that wonk will work fine if they're on a chinese multicart. Not sure why that would matter.