Thread: Original SEGA Genesis 6-button Controllers with the Mode Button Versus Other Controllers

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Unhappy Original SEGA Genesis 6-button Controllers with the Mode Button Versus Other Controllers

Where have all the original SEGA Genesis 6-button controllers with the Mode button gone? I see newer "SEGA" ones without the Mode button, and the official SEGA / Retro-bit ones with the Mode button, and unofficial Retro-bit ones without the Mode button, and other old third-party ones with or without the Mode button, and unofficial, unbranded ones without the Mode button on eBay and Amazon. However finding old original ones with the Mode button is proving to be quite a challenge, and even if you find one, the sellers want to be paid much more than for the rest.

Are these other, newer ones without the Mode button worth it? I've heard that many of these are too small (only 75% the size of the original or less) or they have really short cords (only 3 feet long) or they have buttons that shift or rattle or the X-Y-Z buttons are lousy or the D-pad is poor.

Which controllers are good and which ones should be avoided? Thanks.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

I don't see any Sega Genesis controllers for sale anymore, the ones I have I purchased years ago. I mostly just use the 3 button controllers anyway but the 6 button ones I have are the old official ones from Sega, I wouldn't trust 3rd party knockoff ones to feel right.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Those newer knockoffs without the mode button often peddled by sellers from China and HK are absolute total garbage. The cords are like 2 feet long, the buttons are dull, milky gray that don't quite fit the holes, and the responsiveness is atrocious. I'd rather not play at all than use those.

Keeper of the Terror Mask Dire 51's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I took a chance on the officially licensed Retro-Bit six-button arcade pad when I needed to pick up a second six-button controller recently. I'm glad I did. I don't know how they did it, but it's almost identical to the original. It looks the same, it feels the same, and I've had absolutely no issues with it at all. If you don't want to pay the ridiculous prices for an original, this is worth picking up.

http://retro-bit.com/sega-collaboration

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Where have all the original SEGA Genesis 6-button controllers with the Mode button gone? I see newer "SEGA" ones without the Mode button, and the official SEGA / Retro-bit ones with the Mode button, and unofficial Retro-bit ones without the Mode button, and other old third-party ones with or without the Mode button, and unofficial, unbranded ones without the Mode button on eBay and Amazon. However finding old original ones with the Mode button is proving to be quite a challenge, and even if you find one, the sellers want to be paid much more than for the rest.

Are these other, newer ones without the Mode button worth it? I've heard that many of these are too small (only 75% the size of the original or less) or they have really short cords (only 3 feet long) or they have buttons that shift or rattle or the X-Y-Z buttons are lousy or the D-pad is poor.

Which controllers are good and which ones should be avoided? Thanks.
    I have like 3 or 4 of the smaller genesis 6 button controllers with the mode button. I like the smaller size, cord size is ok, and D-pad is pretty good.
    The only function of the Mode button I know of is when starting up Forgotten Worlds, sometimes you need to hold it down.

I would avoid any 3rd party genesis controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Isn't there a lot of variation in D pad construction between official controllers? With some being more preferred than others?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...