Most games could be bought by simply going to a department store, electronics store, etc. But what about games that either were pulled from shelves right away, or maybe only a few stores carried them? Or maybe they were only available via mail order?

The first that comes to mind is the Panesian NES games. How would you have gotten these? Sex shops? Mail order? I cant see Target selling those games.

Stadium Events, I dont remember the full story behind, I just know there was some kind of licensing dispute.

TurboGrafx16 I had never seen in stores as a kid. To this day, Ive never seen one for sale in person. I bought mine off pricecharting.com

Urban Yeti could only be bought via mail order from what I am gathering. Wonder how many other games were like that?

Super Noahs Ark 3D? What store would have even carried that?

Basically what this boils down to is rarity I suppose but its not just artificial rarity in the way of people just tossing the game or hoarding it, making available copies hard to come by, but games that were destined to be obscure from the start