Thread: Best Wii U Games for $20 or Less (2019 Edition)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Best Wii U Games for $20 or Less (2019 Edition)

I just bought my first Nintendo Wii U this month. After all these years, the price for a used Wii U finally dropped to the $100 range online and at retail. That said, I'm eager to start playing Splatoon and other quality games for it. What are your recommendations for games for the Wii U that cost $20 or less?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Definitely Super Mario 3D World

I'd also recommend NES Remix if you like short/challenge games (it's basically remixed versions of NES titles, one level or area at a time).

If you get get Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for $20, get that, but Wind Waker HD is good too if you haven't played it on the Game Cube.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pr3tty F1y For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (08-30-2019)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

First off, I'm sorry you bought a Wii U. Unless you got it for $50 or less, you just threw away your money. Join the club, though, we meet every Sunday.

As Pr3tty F1y stated, Super Mario 3D World for certain. It'll come to Switch eventually though, just like everything else and give one less reason to own that pos door stop. Instead of providing you games that are less than $20, I'll just add a few games worth purchasing that are exclusive to the Wii U at this time, so be prepared for a very very very short list.

Splatoon... well, technically what's the point when Splatoon 2 is pretty much the same game but better?
    Super Mario Mak... oh yeah, I forgot about Super Mario Maker 2, the far superior version with the same game plus all the extra content.
    Super Smash Bros U.... oh yeah, yeah, Ultimate is on Switch, right, right, right. Come on, kupo, dig deep.
    Bayonetta 1 and 2... yeah, they're on Switch, but there's no way to get the second one at retail other than the Wii U.
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Persona #FE.
    Wonderful 101. I own it, never played it. Heard it was good though.

That's all I can think of tbh. The Wii U is a joke of a console. It's like taking a dump and wiping my a** with $300. That's what my purchasse of the Wii U feels like. Let's add another $60 since it doesn't come with a real controller and I bought the Pro controller. Great controller, 80 hours of battery life. I've never once had to charge it up because there was never enough game time to do so. I was either required to use the tablet(Splatoon 2) or... 80 hours is a long time, you could probably finish most of the games on that list in less than 80 hours.

*edit*

Oh yeah, the Pro controller doesn't work on the Switch, but Nintendo will sell you one that's near identical with the exact same USB. Fu** Nintendo.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-24-2019 at 04:28 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Well, I don't think it's that bad, but then again, I never had a Wii or Gamecube.

It's a great way to play Wii and GameCube via HDMI (if you don't mind hacking your console and using 'alternative methods' of acquiring GameCube software and using the Nintendont app) . Also, hacking your Wii U opens up lots of possibilities like cheats, various freeware games, the ability to back up/restore games and game saves, etc.

I own most of the first party Wii U games as well as the 'good' 3rd party games like Bayonetta 1/2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Zombi U, The Wonderful 101 and also having purchased a large collection of new-old stock and used Wii games that I planned to play through, but real life seems to always prevent that. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my Wii U, although did originally purchase it in January 2014.

These days, the switch is obviously the better choice, but I'm still planning to get thru my Wii/Wii U backlog at some point.
    Last edited by Pr3tty F1y; 08-24-2019 at 11:38 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The Wii U is a joke of a console. It's like taking a dump and wiping my a** with $300. .
    I kinda agree that the wii was poorly received, it lacked having a decent amount of quality games.
    But that being said, it wasnt a horrible console at release; I dont think 300$ was a reasonable price but there are a few things I liked about the console.
    Mario Maker was released on the WiiU... most people diddnt care about it because it was on the WiiU.. but now that its on the Switch (Mario Maker 2 is the same game with more features) everybody loves it.
    Also I was able to transfer all my VC console games from My Wii to my WiiU.

But yeah.. not much reason to own a WiiU over a switch.

I do like the design of the WiiU over the Switch. I think the design of the switch is just horrible.

But in terms of games under 20$.. idk cause I only ever owned Mario Maker... if you have amiibos you might wanna get that.. Mario Maker 2 on the Switch doesnt have amiibo support
    Last edited by bb_hood; 08-24-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

First off, I'm sorry you bought a Wii U. Unless you got it for $50 or less, you just threw away your money.
    If the purchase is for the sake of playing WiiU games only, then yeah, pretty much. The number of platform-specific games I would want for that thing rivals the same quantity I'd choose for the MegaCD.

But I have a MegaCD2 and 2 WiiUs....

Oh yeah, the Pro controller doesn't work on the Switch, but Nintendo will sell you one that's near identical with the exact same USB. Fu** Nintendo.
    Absolutely! I hate the hardware games Nintendo plays. There was absolutely no fucking reason for this. It was totally okay to allow all the controllers from Wii to operate with WiiU, but not okay for Switch to allow a controller from WiiU? WTF? The only thing they did right was finally ditch region locking. I'm not even inclined to say "better late than never".

The reason I'm content with my WiiU is because I never had a Wii. And there is definitely a good number of Wii titles I would like to have! With WiiU hardware I can play Wii on a large flatpanel over HDMI and not have that awful input lag with the wiimote (plus) that I felt with the original Wii when it was new. Star Fox Zero and Xenoblade Cross are my main stars on the WiiU side. I have to say that Yoshi Woolly World is pretty good. I found it more enjoyable than Yoshi Island on the SFC because there's no fucking crying to listen to, huge bonus right there of course, and some of the annoying traits of Yoshi Island did not carry over at all. The creativity of how the levels interact with Yoshi because everything is technically fabric and yarn is well conceived too. Coop multiplayer is also a very pleasant bonus.

The process and maintenance of bypassing region lock on Wii U is very irritating. My wife simply bought a 2nd WiiU of the NA region on purpose; the seller let go of it, all hardware, Pro controller, I think 4 wiimotes and a ton of skylanders/infinity shit bundled together with about 8 games. After dumping some of the games she didn't want from this bundle, she basically paid for an extra WiiU Gamepad controller and everything else was effectively a gift. So why not? A lot less annoying than the boot process to load a cross-region disc.

To chip in directly to the topic just look for what's worth having at all. But I do believe DK Topical Freeze should be at $20 or less now, and I definitely want a copy of that one myself. The first one on Wii was nothing short of excellent. My only complaint with it was that you could not ditch the fucking motion controls and use the pro controller.

Oh, the WiiU Pro Controller is an excellent controller, and works perfectly for my Linux gaming for those games that are a lot more comfortable with a controller than mouse/keyboard. The battery life is phenomenal. For this, there is naturally no need to consider owning the WiiU, obviously. Those who don't have a WiiU are unlikely to have experienced gaming with that controller though. The only downside is the shoulder triggers are not analogue whereas they are with the 360 controllers... and GC controllers... Wish I had more suggestions for WiiU, but my shelf is dominated by Wii titles instead.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks for the good suggestions, everyone!

While I didn't pay for a Wii U when the price was higher, for $100 I think it is worth it. (Finally after all these years, the price is right!) Why? For one thing, the huge number of "Switch games" that I can buy for $20 or less for the Wii U. For another, I can play games online without having to pay a monthly or yearly fee for it. Another reason is that I've been wanting to play Splatoon for years for both its single-player and multi-player content.

For a third, it's for the exclusive and formerly-exclusive Wii U games, particularly the Nintendo and SEGA ones. That's right, I'm a Sonic The Hedgehog and Mario fan, and I'm looking forward to adding "missing" games to my collection. Sure, I own Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Sonic: Lost World for Windows / PC, but despite the bad reviews, I still want to own and play Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (which arrived in the mail today).

For another, the Wii U is quite hack-able and it is possible to run almost every console game from 8-bit to GameCube to Wii on the thing as well as homebrew. Yet another reason is the downgraded games on the 3DS that were ports from Wii U. I personally believe Nintendo intentionally removed features from Smash 4 and Mario Maker for 3DS to make the more expensive Wii U originals look better and worth the cash while the 3DS was capable of almost everything that was removed from it such as certain modes from Smash or the 8-bit costumes and "direct level selection by codes" for Mario Maker levels that were included on Wii U.

And it is good to know that the Wii U Pro Controller works on Linux / PC. I'm thinking of buying a third-party controller from the Wii U's early days that works as a Pro Controller for both Wii and Wii U and, presumably, PC.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was just announced for the Switch during the Nintendo direct the day before yesterday. One of my recommendations. Almost the entire exclusive library is on Switch now.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've been in a minority of my opinion of this system for years and was one of the few who considered it quite innovative, fun and a direction I was glad to see Nintendo go as I loved Gamecube/GBA connectivity and this reminded me of that concept, but taken to the next level. I enjoyed mostly above all interacting with family and friends with these concepts and this mattered to me almost more than anything as I grew up in the arcades and social gaming always appealed to me more than what was considered "better". Though alot of these concepts are still fun by yourself they truly excel when enjoyed with others.

Regardless, there are still games worth playing and owning on the system as it's a unique experience you will not get probably ever again, despite alot of ports to Switch there is still alot to be enjoyed with the Wii U imho, even some of the ports will still be more fun on the Wii U to me, but mainly cause I just loved the concept of the Gamepad in general.

I'll try to be as objective as possible in my recommendations:

ZombiU - Must have. Sure it has gone multi platform since, but in NO WAY shape or form does it compare to the Wii U version! The Gamepad adds to the intensity of the survival when you are alone and makes item management intense and intuitive and the multiplayer mode with friends is second to none and fun as hell as one person uses the Gamepad to place zombies on a map while the other player fights to survive! IT'S A MUST if any of this sounds intriguing to you.

NintendoLand - You must own this for just the sheer fact that it demonstrates everything that could be possible with the Gamepad, a great showcase title, its ok alone but with multiple players it's outrageously fun! Plus it's a must own as there is no way this unique experience will ever be duplicated.

Wii Party U - Same as above, it's a showcase title and puts the Gamepad to great use, you just won't experience anything like this on any other system, ever. It's more in the vein of Mario Party.

Star Fox Zero - I'm sorry but I agree with noone on this game, it's awesome! Probably the best single player experience with the Wii U Gamepad, though it frustrated some, I enjoyed the hell out of it and to me it was like a new Pilotwings in alot of sections with Gamepad use and the boss battles.... man, I mean, it's worth owning the system for me, but again I seem to be in the minority but when I play this I feel like a pro and I like showing off this game to people as i'm good at it and can make it look awesome. The controls can be a bit to wrap your head around but once you do you can pull off some spectacular looking gameplay. I would honestly own the system for this game alone.

Star Fox Guard - This came as a pack-in title with Zero and it's great fun! Great by yourself and unique if you have chill buddies that like to join in and help by watching, A must!

Super Mario Maker - This is very subjective, but, this will remain better imo on Wii U when designing and testing cause of the Gamepad, I just love it, it feels so great, others will argue it isn't needed and it's a fair argument and will also argue the Switch sequel has more to offer content wise which is also a fair statement, but man, I just love the Gamepad that's all I can say. It's such a unique feeling.

Super Mario 3D World - This one is probably the most pure exclusive that still exists in general, fantastic game too OF COURSE, a classic, but oddly I wouldn't really consider it a showcase title as it uses the Gamepad very little and was more of a Miiverse showcase in general, but now that Miiverse is defunct that cute little bit is gone, but again, GREAT GAME! Get it for the sheer fact that Switch users don't have this one yet! Just use a pro controller with this game though, fair warning.

Pikmin 3 - Switch users want this one bad, just get it so you can rub it in their faces... j/k, get it cause it's a great game and will always be the best version as the Gamepad makes it unique. It's arguable that using a pro controller/mote/chuk is superior, but this feature will always be unique to Wii U, they can't take that away from us!

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - If Fatal Frame is a series you enjoy the Wii U is a must own system, the Gamepad makes it AMAZING! Some people will want the system for this game alone. You not gonna get this for $20 or less though....

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - AN ABSOLUTE GEM, MUST BUY, REALLY NOTHING ELSE TO SAY. It showcases the system BRILLIANTLY! Sorry being really subjective here, but this game is the type of game this system was made for.

The Wonderful 101 - Hilarious Gamepad use, very creative if not a bit cumbersome at times, kinda a mixed bag but the uniqueness of Gamepad use puts it over the top, this could be ported to Switch fairly easily I believe but it would lose SO MUCH charm, get it cause it's a showcase title and because Switch user will be envious

Yoshi's Woolly World - Another purist exclusive, play it with a pro controller and just use the Gamepad for off-tv play, aka, bathroom breaks . Not really a showcase title per se, but Switch users are still chomping at the bit for this one as Crated World was not as well received, but it's ours... for now

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - I'll never play this on any other platform, the Gamepad use here makes it so damn fun and unique. One of the best single player experiences on the system.

Lego City Undercover - Same as above.

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD - Beautiful update of a classic and the Gamepad is put to great use with the map and item selection, a must!

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD - Pretty much same as above though a bit more cumbersome. As with Wind Waker you can choose to use the pro controller if desired though I don't as it defeats the uniqueness of the system, oh btw if not already obvious this are both HD upgrades of 2 classic Zelda titles, Switch owners really want these and i'm sure they will get them but they will never experience the unique options of the Gamepad

Devil's Third - Ok, so, this game is rough and not so great but it's an exclusive from Tomonobu Itagaki and that in and of itself makes it quite unique. This is purely for collection purposes as it's doubtful this will ever be playable anywhere ever again, it's pretty crap but historical, ya get me. Kinda the CD-i Zelda of the system, i mean it's not all bad, but not really good, very subjective here and will probably be talked about in years to come.

I'm gonna stop here for now as i'm starting to mincing words and need to hit the sack but I do in fact have many more suggestions for the Wii U both physical and digital beyond this basic streamlined list, dozens in fact, games I enjoy with unique Gamepad features and or games I love playing with off-tv or with friends. The system imo is very versatile and that is my favorite thing about it and people can say all they like but the Wii U is going nowhere historically, it has many unique features that will sadly probably never be recreated which to me makes it a gem. I adore the Wii U and it is and will remain in my collection even when I decide to purchase a Switch which should be soon with all the awesome new game announcements "looking at you Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Xenoblade Chronicles DE" and the new revision.

The Wii U though will always be unique, they can't take that away from the system and that will imo always make it a curiousity people will always wonder about and tbh there are alot of good experiences to be had on the system in all honesty that are unique fun and deserve a spot along side some of the best consoles ever. Plus it still has some exclusives that make it worth owning contrary to popular belief
    Last edited by BHvrd; 09-06-2019 at 08:45 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BHvrd For This Useful Post:

Leo_A (09-15-2019)

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Star Fox Zero - I'm sorry but I agree with noone on this game, it's awesome! Probably the best single player experience with the Wii U Gamepad, though it frustrated some, I enjoyed the hell out of it and to me it was like a new Pilotwings in alot of sections with Gamepad use and the boss battles.... man, I mean, it's worth owning the system for me, but again I seem to be in the minority but when I play this I feel like a pro and I like showing off this game to people as i'm good at it and can make it look awesome. The controls can be a bit to wrap your head around but once you do you can pull off some spectacular looking gameplay. I would honestly own the system for this game alone.
    Good news mate. You're no longer alone. It's a masterpiece! Closest I've gotten to the Rogue Squadron series, just that it is Star Fox, not Star Wars.