Thread: LevelHike's HDMI Cables for Dreamcast, PlayStation 1, PS2, TurboGrafx-16, and the Original Xbox

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default LevelHike's HDMI Cables for Dreamcast, PlayStation 1, PS2, TurboGrafx-16, and the Original Xbox

I have seen a lot of mentions of these HDMI cables by LevelHike lately. These include an article by Dreamcast Today and videos by people on YouTube such as MetalJesusRocks. What makes them special is that there is no requirement to internally modify your consoles before use - they use the standard A/V output port of a given console instead so the quality is limited to the maximal video quality possible via said port. The nice part about the Dreamcast HDMI cable from LevelHike versus using a VGA cable / box is that the audio is included in the HDMI signal so there is no need to use separate audio cable(s).

Have any of you tried these? How are they? And how do these cables compare to the HDMI cables for classic consoles by other third-party companies? I know I have seen them for sale on StoneAgeGamer, Amazon, and eBay already. It seems to me that the video output from the LevelHike HDMI cable is noticeably brighter / whiter than the standard output of a Dreamcast, so much so that the company recommends adjusting the brightness and contrast settings of your television before gaming.

Source:
    https://dreamcasttoday.wordpress.com...for-dreamcast/

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

240p looks like jittery garbage on these because the signal isn't scaling properly, which is typical of generic 'AV to HDMI' scalers all over eBay and Amazon courtesy of China. I can't imagine 480i signals looking any better than some other generic device you could get.

You're better off going with a Retrotink-2x which you could use with a variety of different systems rather than buy dedicated HDMI 'solutions' for each system.