Thread: Best Download-only Wii U Games on the Nintendo eShop

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Best Download-only Wii U Games on the Nintendo eShop

I figure I might as well download while the downloading is still good! After all, just like with the DSi, DS, and Wii, eventually Nintendo will kill off most of the online options for Wii U including buying and downloading from its eShop. While I don't want to pay for downloads of games that I can buy physical copies of instead, I would like to know what download-only games are worthwhile for Wii U. Thanks for your recommendations, everyone!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I figure I might as well download while the downloading is still good! After all, just like with the DSi, DS, and Wii, eventually Nintendo will kill off most of the online options for Wii U including buying and downloading from its eShop. While I don't want to pay for downloads of games that I can buy physical copies of instead, I would like to know what download-only games are worthwhile for Wii U. Thanks for your recommendations, everyone!
    Fast Racing Neo is good if you like F-Zero like racers. It has a unique color flipping mechanic where if you match the color of your exhaust to the strip on the road, it will boost you. As far as I know, it's an exclusive

I also got Pushmo World. It's a cool puzzle game with a unique block pushing/pulling mechanic that basically makes it a puzzle/platformer. That's a Wii U exclusive but there are other Push Mo games on 3DS.

Then there is Mario vs. Donkey Kong Tipping Stars. I'm not sure if it's my kinda of game. I played it a bit, but I haven't gone back to it in a while, but that's another Wii U exclusive (but I think there is a similar game on 3DS).

I also bought the hard copy of Axiom Verge from Limited Run games, but otherwise it is digital only (but it is multi-platform, so you can pick it up elsewhere). Still, it's great game if you like Super Metroid style games.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pr3tty F1y For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (08-30-2019)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I've been thinking about buying Fast Racing Neo. It looks like a cool, fast, fun racer, but I'm not sure if it is worth $15. Is it?

I own one of the Pushmo games for the 3DS, and that series really just is not my style. While I have heard good things about Axiom Verge and I do own a lot of Metroid and Castlevania games, I am not a big fan of Metroid-alikes so I will pass on that one.

While I own a number of the Mario vs. DK games, they are not really my thing either. By the way, if you buy Mario vs. Donkey Kong Tipping Stars for Wii U or 3DS, then you will get a download code for the remaining platform too, so you can play on either or both if you choose.

Thanks for all of the recommendations, PF!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mostly semi-exclusive or multiplatform, but I prefer these versions on Wii U over others, I recommend in order listed:

Xenoblade Chronicles - You can play it on the Gamepad instead of just tv which is epic imo. Gotta get this even if you own it elsewhere!

Squids Odyssey - Really fun with touchscreen, also on 3DS and PC. Best most fun version.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - It's not really better on here "still prefer GBA" but just had to include it, you probably already own this. Actually the good emu
    NES, SNES, TG16, N64, GBA, WII titles vary a bit some better than others in the emu dept. whether it's sound, off-tv play, etc.

Unepic- Cool little Metroidvania like title, also own it on PC but enjoy it more here.

Zombie Defense - Decent little tower defense game, same as above.

I own so many, but tired now so there's a few I guess, may recommend some more later, btw i've heard Affordable Space Adventures is really good plus it's exclusive. I own it, just haven't played it, lol
    Last edited by BHvrd; 09-06-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Mostly semi-exclusive or multiplatform, but I prefer these versions on Wii U over others, I recommend in order listed:

Xenoblade Chronicles - You can play it on the Gamepad instead of just tv which is epic imo. Gotta get this even if you own it elsewhere!

I own so many, but tired now so there's a few I guess, may recommend some more later, btw i've heard Affordable Space Adventures is really good plus it's exclusive. I own it, just haven't played it, lol
    Buying xenoblade chronicles digitally is moot at this point nintendo just announce there doing a remaster of xenoblade chronicles for switch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLEkwIvfOO4
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 09-07-2019 at 12:39 AM.