Thread: so I'm giving Pokemon Blue another go

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default so I'm giving Pokemon Blue another go

(why Blue? Because it was the one I bought when it first came out and I like the color blue. Also Meowth).

So guys, tell me if this is a common experience:

Edmond had just bought a Magikarp, and decided that before going into Mt. Moon he was gonna level it up a bit using that grassy field to the south. For a long time Edmond thought that there was nothing but pidgeys and spearows there, which he didn't care about.

He was just about to call it a day, when suddenly "A wild Jigglypuff appeared!"

And then his Pikachu accidentally kills--sorry FAINTS--the Jigglypuff.

And then, to the dismay of the kids who happened to be watching him play, Edmond said "no, everything is on hold until I catch a Jigglypuff!"

And the same damn thing happened when I saw Clefairy...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You want to take weaker Pokemon with you to wear down other Pokemon.

That being said, I don't care for Pokemon at all. On a tournament level the game is great, but if you're going to be fighting some truly great players, you can't just level up a good team, you need to take hours and hours and hours and weeks studying and building the perfect team, you then need to breed them with Ditto(later games) and then get the perfect EVs and IVs(which doesn't necessarily mean the best, you may want the worst speed in some cases while the best in everything else.) After spending 40 hours building the perfect team, you get bored of using it in a few battles. If you want to build another team well, you're looking at another ridiculous time sink.

This is why I hate Pokemon. The single player isn't completely bad, I do actually like the dialogue when speaking with all the towns people, just the combat is braindead easy it doesn't utilize any of the games actual features, the multiplayer is too time consuming if you want to actually win. There's little true gameplay in the game. However, I'll end it on a positive note, Red/Blue are atleast the best of them that I've played becuse the single player is significantly better balanced than the other games, it's still easy yes, but not as easy as any of the future games I've played(I've never played Silver/Gold which I have heard is the actual best one but I can't vouch for that.)

Now. I'd personally recommend playing playing SMT Nocturne. The gameplay is excellent and it's got the best monster system in the series imo, and by best, it's easy to recruit monsters compared to other titles. The game itself is difficult and the only massive difficulty spike is Matador, but if you have a lot of monsters that can void or atleast resist wind then he's not as difficult until he starts using Andulucia.

Then if you like that game, I'd say go for Digital Devil Saga. It drops the monster collecting and allows you to go through class tiers, mastering and learning most of what is in SMT Nocturne. Even though you can change any and all abilities at any time, the game as well as its direct sequel are still very difficult, but yeah. You can equip a certain amount of skills at once and once finishing combat you can customize your skills. Now, you likely are still going to push people through specific class types to master the most powerful versions of each skill type, but you cn atleast dabble at the lower skill levels for most types so all characters can atleast have access to a little bit of everything. Amazing game though.

SMT4 is another good one but they have really stupid issues. Each monster falls in a certain category. High HP/low MP, mid HP/mid MP, and low HP/high MP. The high HP monsters generally are both strength and dex based, but the physical and gun skills now take MP to use, making high HP/low MP pointless. High HP would be great if physical skills still dealt a percentage of your HP. The game also allows you to carry over all skills when fusing a demon easily, so naturally you're going to just carry all the best skills or have various demons with set skills to feed into other demons to acquire those skills. I mean sure, it's nice, easier to make the ultimate demon, but yeah.

SMT4 has a direct sequel as well, and it's equally as good. SMT4 Apocalypse. It goes through the game as a different character and there are a few unique locations, but it goes throughout the world in a different order. SMT4 however does have a huge difficulty spike 10 hours into the game with Minotaur and Medusa, but I seriously advise you to push through it so you can see the next part. If you've ever played Dragon Quest 3, no spoilers, but the second half of the game will make your jaw drop(well, it depends, but in order to avoid spoilers I won't tell you why even if I did in another thread.) This is similar in SMT4. Now, they make the beginning of the game much worse to have this experience, but I thought it was pretty amazing to see the change within the game and maybe the game itself is better for it?

Persona Q is another one and this one you don't capture monsters, but you collect cards, much like the other Persona games. This one however has far better balance than any Persona game because each character can now have their main card and then a sub card instead of the main character having any of the available cards and each character only having their own card. Even though you actually hve characters on this one, it's still similar to capturing monsters to make each of those character play different.

I will say that SMT4, Apocalypse, Persona Q, and I'm assuming Q2, have some of the absolute best 3D on the 3DS. If you're into good 3D and JRPGs then I'd highly recommend them.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I prefer pokemon Red... Sandshrew is my favorite

Pokemon Blue was the one me and my brother had back in the day

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I would usually use a stronger Pokemon and hit the one I want to catch with a decent attack and then wear it down with weaker ones as someone mentioned

Its a fun, relaxing game but these days I just need quick action in shorts bursts. My Pokemon collecting evolved into real life collecting, so that side of the game doesnt interest me as much now and the combat is so slow going that I cant get into it much now

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I prefer pokemon Red... Sandshrew is my favorite

Pokemon Blue was the one me and my brother had back in the day
    Sandshrew is in the Blue version too, but I was a little confused when it didn't pop up until I got to that field outside of Cerulean... I swear I saw it pop up in the grass near victory road one time.

@Kupomogli, I've actually played SMT Nocturne. I liked it up until I got to this boss I couldn't beat (the Matador you mentioned?) but...

Well in the topic for Pokemon Sword and Shield I mentioned that games like this usually give me a "you're supposed to buy the guide" feeling, and SMT Nocturne was really bad about that. I'm thinking of going back to the older games tho since I assume they would be simpler.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Blue is one of my favorites because I started with it too. I usually play it on my Super Game Boy for the best visuals and color palettes, but also like how the 3DS virtual console version lets you transfer them over to the newer generation. I've got a modded 3DS so I can do stuff like copy my save file and convert it to work on the original Game Boy rom and write it to a real cartridge if desired or vice versa. Right now I'm playing every version of Pokemon one gym area at a time then switching to the next game when I beat that gym. The result is that I should reach the endgame of most games one after the other and then be able to start really collecting Pokemon from all generations including the new one that is coming out. I'm trying to get to gym 2 of X version so of course I have a long way to go. In Gen 7, those stones are equivalent to badges so I'll count by those.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

It's true - the games are pretty easy. But that's OK - they don't have to be ridiculously difficult to be fun. The fun is in collecting - exploring various locations and battling new trainers to try to locate all the rare Pokemon to complete your Pokedex.

There is the competitive battling thing vs. other players, but that's a whole different scene. I know there was some PC-based online battle software that would have a league and whatnot, just assign you max EVs so that you can skip that part and just battle; can't remember what it's called. Smogon.com is all about it.

I stopped playing a while back - too many promo Pokemon, it got tiring keeping up with the promotions, and there are a good two dozen promo characters now.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?