Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon Quest ... what are the modern games doing?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The extra content in the Switch versions is to counteract the wait and the performance drop. It's not as much of a difference with PS4 vs Switch, but DQXI is also on PC, and if you have a powerful enough PC, you can run the game at a much higher resolution and better framerate than on Switch. Between PC and Switch, it's harder to swallow that downgrade for some extra content, since the game really does look beautiful on PC.
    It's common sense the Switch version came out later, it just fucking came out, and it's why I stated that's its entire selling point. In Japan, most people who wanted Dragon Quest 11 likely got it day one because of how big of a phenomenon it is over there, so because they announced it for the Switch and because it was delayed to be released such a long time later, they added many new features in the game that became selling points for people to double dip on a game they already bought. Yes, it's a plus for Nintendo Switch fans who didn't get it until later, but let's be serious, it's because they want to entice everyone else who bought it already by getting them to buy the same "Definitive Edition" as they so called it.

Seriously, you can't be that oblivious to the real reason they added it in. If they were releasing the same game on the Switch just because, there's no reason to add extra content. They literally added it because they wanted to get other people who already purchased it another reason to buy it. Do you think that Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls was rereleased with the extra content just because? Aside from it being a portable Final Fantasy that was one of the main selling points that they pushed, same with FF4 Advance, FF5 Advance, FF6 Advance. With both Final Fantasy 1 and 2 Anniversary Edition it was the graphics and music improvement, with FFTactics it was the new translation and extra content, with Tactics Ogre it was the completely reworked game, etc. They're not going to go out of their way and spend all this extra time, effort, and money, on releasing all this extra content unless they think that it will push others into purchasing it. Switch only owners in Japan who refused to get a PS4 but were desperate to play Dragon Quest 11 would have bought the game regardless, the extra content was to get people to double dip, plain as that.

Do you really think anyone who owns a Switch, GBA, PSP, etc, really gives a crap about extra content that they didn't know they were going to get in the first place? Of course no one is going to turn down extra content, but what I mean is they would have been satisfied regardless what version of the game they got if it was something they wanted to play. Nintendo fans are posting #Switcher3 this and Witcher 3 that, because they finally get to play Witcher 3. Does the game have extra content? Unless you call the DLC that was already released on the other versions and later Complete Editions of the same game, then no, so why would Dragon Quest 11 without extra content look any less appealing to someone who has never played and has wanted to play the game.

Here's other examples of console versions of games. When Capcom rereleased DmC Devil May Cry on the PS4 and XBO, not only did they include the DLC, but a selling point to entice people who already purchased the original 360/PS3/PC version, aside from the 60fps on consoles, is that Vergil now had a Bloody Palace, Gods Must Die, Hardcore mode, Turbo mode, red/blue enemies are now effected by any weapon, a lock on button along with an alternate way of doing Stinger style attacks since it was done using forward forward in DmC rather than lock on and towards. DMC4 on PS360 was already 60fps, so on PS4 they added Trish/Lady and Vergil modes as well as this PC only mode that added far more enemies. Resident Evil Origins added Wesker mode to RE0. Need I go on? Point is, these games had extra content on the PS4 and XBO so the same people may likely buy them all over again.

*edit*

So yeah, I doubt it, but if DQ11 ever rereleases on PS4 with the Switch content, I'll get it, if not, I'll get the Switch version. I always wanted to own the 3DS version, that was the one I was planning on getting first, but then Square Enix gave us the middle finger and didn't release it in the west. But thankfully we can now play it in some form. I'll also get the PS4 version of Chocobo Dungeon Every Buddy in Japan since it has English and I'll purchase the Switch version of WoFF Maxima multi-language since there's no retail PS4 version of it(but there's a retail version of the XBO version in the west which dropped to $20 in less than a month.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-30-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Uhhhhhhhhhh

Was it really necessary to get that hostile? Take a frickin' chill pill, dude. My post was not in response to you, nor was it intended as any kind of argument to anything. The point of my post was to express that the Switch version has its pros and cons. There is still good reason to play the PC version, in my opinion. Yes, any publisher that re-releases a game is hoping for some double dippers. There are people who will double-dip even with direct ports, just because they want a game on another platform. But even when not double-dipping, people will often complain if they have to wait longer and get nothing for that wait, or if the version they're buying is downgraded in some way and has nothing else to make up for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I also made it a sort of goal to try and play every mainline DQ/DW game (meaning the main series games, not counting X since that's just an MMO) and beat them. I'm on Dragon Warrior III (NES) now. I'm not currently interested in playing ports and remakes but I do own the GBC versions of 1-3.

What I don't have is Dragon Warrior IV, at least not a legit cart, so I'm considering my options there. Might be open to trade for it.
    If you're not too far into Dragon Warrior 3 I'd recommend switching over to the GBC version since you have it. The worse thing about the GBC version is that it has a smaller field of view, I think you can only view 10 spaces up and down while 16 spaces on the NES version. However everything else about the game is better, plus the game actually has a lot more to it. Personalities are a pretty cool addition if you want to try and min max your character based on its class as well.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If you're not too far into Dragon Warrior 3 I'd recommend switching over to the GBC version since you have it. The worse thing about the GBC version is that it has a smaller field of view, I think you can only view 10 spaces up and down while 16 spaces on the NES version. However everything else about the game is better, plus the game actually has a lot more to it. Personalities are a pretty cool addition if you want to try and min max your character based on its class as well.
    I actually kinda wondered what the "personalities" thing was, as I noticed early on you could change people's personalities with items.

I'm pretty much dead-set on playing the NES one first, but I am the kind of guy who might just end up playing both versions for comparison (I did it for the first game). Just now I almost had a TPK due to a mimic box. Freaking mimic boxes...

Another thing, getting back to my plan to play all the main series DQ games.... I don't have a Nintendo DS, which will be a problem when I get to DQ9 since that's DS exclusive.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Wouldn't that already be a problem by the time you get to DQ5? Unless you're planning to play 5 and 6 on mobile or in Japanese, or if you're planning to skip the official releases and play fan patches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Or 4 since you're planning on playing both versions of DW3, I'm assuming both versions of DW4 also.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Wouldn't that already be a problem by the time you get to DQ5? Unless you're planning to play 5 and 6 on mobile or in Japanese, or if you're planning to skip the official releases and play fan patches.
    Fan patches (altho I do actually have Japanese carts in case I ever feel like going full otaku).

@kupomogli - Ehm, playing both versions of 3 is just because I happen to already have them so its convenient, and even then it's not likely to be back to back (I get burned out way too easily for that).

Admittedly I do kinda want the DS re-releases of 5 and 6 especially since those are the only official translations and I keep getting mixed reports on whether the fan patch for DQ6 is buggy or not (I used to constantly hear that it would crash the game if you checked your stats, but then I asked here and people who played on repro cart never reported having that issue).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Because of my mistake removing super strong monsters on DQ11, I've deleted my 40 hour save file and started again. I recommend when playing Dragon Quest 11 you at the very least play it with super strong monsters by hitting triangle when choosing your name. This save data I chose super strong monsters, no fleeing, and weak enemies give half or even no exp.

The game is incredibly well balanced while still being difficult on super strong monsters, but the bosses, especially when you get to a certain point can be a brick wall of unbalance to where you may need to grind a couple hours(attacking twice a turn, some even three times.) Maybe the normal enemies on SSM are so well balanced because once you clear a boss you're likely powerful enough to deal with the next group? Who knows. Either way, as I stated not making the mistake of reducing the difficulty again.

Three hours in though, got the second character and defeated the second boss. My first three items that I crafted were perfect as well, so that certainly helped. Just want to say that despite playing 40 hours before that fateful mistake and despite the slow beginning, I'm really enjoying my playthrough and it just goes to show how quality this game is. Great gameplay, great (albeit super cliche) story,and best characters in a DQ by far. Knowing how other parts of the game plays and my continued enjoyment after this restart, will fully play through this game this time and might play Dragon Warrior 7 back to back to determine whether I think this is better.