Thread: Demo disc collectors?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Demo disc collectors?

Is there much interest here in demo discs? The only one I had as a kid was a demo of Legend of Legaia. I managed to get another copy later on. I dont remember how I got it to begin with. Its possible it was sent to us in the mail for some reason or my friend gave it to me. Where he got it, I would have no clue.

A friend of mine says one could get PS1 demo discs from Pizza Hut back in the day. How this worked, I am not sure

Id really like to get all the demos of the Dreamcast games. Air Force Delta demo rarely comes up on eBay. Would love to know the history of these discs. Special mail in things if someone had sent in a registration card im guessing?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

A couple people are saying the Dreamcast demo discs were available at Blockbuster. I wonder if they gave them away with purchases or rentals

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I absolutely love demo discs! They felt like exclusive first looks into upcoming games.

I've been trying to collect all of the demo discs that came with PAL PS2s early in it's life, and all of the PS1 Demo discs we got with McDonald's meals here in the British Isles.

I also love it when I get a console and it comes with a bunch of demo discs, as was the case with my Saturn, Dreamcast and Amiga CD32, always fun to try out all sorts of games!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I also like demo games, especially when they come in a sleeve with a mini version of the box art. I'd say the Christmas Nights demo for Saturn was the best demo of all time. It had hours of exclusive content. I also like the 3DO demo discs as you could really notice some of the changes that were made in the final versions. Games like return fire and Po'ed come to mind. I also have a soft spot for some of the PS2 PSP era demos.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The only demos I specifically seek out are ones related to games/series I love. Like how I bought the Japanese Tail Concerto demo. But I've ended up with a fair amount of demos over the years just by buying lots and what have you. Though it's still only a small fraction of what exists, I have a pretty decent sized collection of PS1 demos. They're pretty interesting from a historical standpoint, and they often capture the atmosphere of the time even more than a regular, full release does.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    .... they often capture the atmosphere of the time even more than a regular, full release does.
    Now that you mention it, some of those old demos for 3DO and Saturn SCREAM 90's (ironically one of them is called Sega Screams). The music in the menus, the gameplay videos. It almost has the same nostalgic feel as watching old commercials. That is a really interesting observation you've made. It's been ages since I've popped in a Dreamcast demo, now I am kind of intrigued.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

my faves were playstation underground with the import demos on them.

i'm trying to get those, its trickier than i thought

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

My favorites are the Official US Playstation Magazine demo discs. There were so many of them. My stepdad had a friend who would give him the demos after trying them but keep the magazine. I think 21 was the first one he had when he started getting them regularly. The early ones didn't have nearly as much content. I managed to get a burned copy of all of them from a torrent. My goal is to someday try them all to help me get started with ideas for expanding my collection.