Thread: Game of the Year 1979 - Vote Now!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Game of the Year 1979 - Vote Now!

Rules:

1. Compile a list of up to ten video games released during the year in the topic title that you believe were the best for that year, making it clear which title is your overall number one pick, nunber two pick, and so on.

2. I am going off of generally accepted release year. Wikipedia and its cited sources are usually accurate so if you are unsure, please reference that page. I am going off of when the game was initially made available to the consumers either in arcades or stores.

3. If you list more than one of the same title, I am not going to count your votes. If you can only think of one title for the given year, just put down that title, please.

4. Scoring will be as follows. Your number one pick is worth 10 points, your number two pick is worth 9 points, and so on. When voting ends, the game that receives the most votes will be crowned Unofficial DigitPress Game of the Year as Decided by Forum Members. We will see how much participation there is in this before I determine how long to keep voting open before going to the next year, but generally I am thinking 3-4 weeks per year, maybe longer if it takes a long time to get votes in.

5. I am going off your original, unedited post, so if you edit your post, I will not count your score, so please think carefully before voting. I do this because it creates extra work for me if I have to keep editing the rankings every time a single user changes his/her/their/its mind.

6. Games can be from any region and from any platform, but the game has to have actually existed and have been released in arcades or in retail stores, as mentioned previously. If a game is vastly different from one region to another, please specify which version you are talking about. Please dont enter the same title from more than one region (i.e. #1. Pac-Man (U.S.), #2. Pac-Man (Japan)). Please specify what platform the game is on.

7. Why did I choose 1979 as the starting year? There aren't a ton of releases prior to that, especially games that people still talk about in the modern era. Depending on how well this goes over, I may go back to the earliest years but for now I just wanted to start with a year whose games people are vaguely familiar with.

8. This contest is not endorsed by DigitPress in any way and is simply for fun. It will stay open as long as the thread is not locked by a moderator, so please keep any name-calling and flame wars out of this so that we can keep the contest going for those who are interested.

9. Why so many rules? So as to maintain the integrity of the rankings. If someone makes up a game that never existed and enters it ten times, the rankings become pointless.

10. I noticed that release years vary depending on the source. Go by whatever year the game first came out, regardless of region. For example, Galaxian came out in Japan in 1979, but not in the U.S. until 1980. So for purposes of this contest, that game is a 1979 release.

If you need a starting point for 1979 releases, here are some quick links for you:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_in_video_gaming

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...-01,1979-12-31

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/search.pl
    (Enter 1979 for year and software for type)

1979 Standings:
    Last edited by gbpxl; 09-23-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

1979 Releases; not a definitive list:

Akalabeth: World of Doom (California Pacific Computer Co., Apple II, North America)

Asteroids (Atari, Arcade, North America)

Deep Scan (Sega, Arcade)

Electronic Poker (Entex, Dedicated Handheld, North America)

Galaxian (Namco, Arcade, Japan)

Head On (Sega, Arcade, North America)

Lunar Lander (Atari, Arcade, North America)

Monaco GP (Sega, Arcade, North America)

Ozma Wars (SNK, Arcade)

Radar Scope (Nintendo, Arcade, Japan)

Sheriff (Nintendo, Arcade, Japan)

Star Raiders (Atari, Atari 8-Bit, North America)

Superman (Atari, Atari VCS, North America)

Tail Gunner (Cinematronics, Arcade, North America)

Temple of Apshai (Automated Simulations, Computer, North America)

Warrior (Cinematronics, Arcade, North America)
    Last edited by gbpxl; 09-23-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Is there any way to upload a table? Its easier typing a list on my computer in spreadsheet form and uploading it here and will look better anyways

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

No way that I know, but then my participation in BBS style forum has waned the past few years. I've either forgotten some of the advanced features or was never privy to any new ones that allow for that sort of thing.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I'm going with Monaco GP. It was really ambitious for 1979. It could pass for a Sega Master System game!
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Life!? ... What console is that on?