Thread: favorite Dragon Ball games?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default favorite Dragon Ball games?

Doesn't matter if its original, Z, GT, Super, Neko Majin, Dragon Ball AF or whatever.

So I wound up kinda getting the Dragon Ball bug again and wanting to either re-read the manga or rewatch the various anime (truth be told, I've read the Dragon Ball + Z manga volumes all the way through but I have not seen every episode of the anime or movies, and I haven't even tried to follow Super)....

.... and of course, video games.

I only own two of the SNES Super Butoden games, which have features I like but I wish they had a smoother feel. I remember playing Budokai 1 for the PS2 and liking it but not caring for its Namco-esque dial-a-combo special moves (though according to Some Call Me Johnny, this was fixed in Budokai 2 and 3 so that you no longer have to do the Kamehameha at the end of a combo).

And there's this game called Dragon Ball FighterZ which looks like the best thing ever and is reason #5 I'm finally getting a switch.

But yeah, across all consoles what are your favorite Dragon Ball games? Doesn't even specifically have to be fighting games, although I am wondering if there was ever a "perfect" version of the Butoden formula....

[tries hard--and fails--to resist imagining a scenario where Butoden evolves into a perfect form after absorbing other game cartridges.]

EDIT: Yeah, so I'm also into Dragon Quest/Warrior, which makes me wonder if there's something about Toriyama's art I happen to like (well, besides the fact that I keep seeing Hercule and Trunks pop up as characters in both franchises--Trunks is called "Angelo" in Dragon Quest 8).

Also what is with Toriyama and getting involved in things with "Dragon" in their title?
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 09-26-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Ive only played Legacy of Goku so its my favorite Dragon Ball game by default

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It was either Bodukai or Bodukai 2, either way it was hilarious because my buddies would try some technical thing or other and I'd just energy blast them in the face. Not the best reason, but even a stupid reason is a reason.

Also, Trunks is not Angelo, he is clearly Terry from VI. Angelo is the result of a bizarre temporal accident dumping Aramis from Three Musketeers in Dragon Quest game. We'll go with the Toriyama angle and blame Lavos.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Also, Trunks is not Angelo, he is clearly Terry from VI. Angelo is the result of a bizarre temporal accident dumping Aramis from Three Musketeers in Dragon Quest game. We'll go with the Toriyama angle and blame Lavos.
    Isn't Aramis supposed to be somewhat effeminate though? That doesn't seem to fit Angelo.

Last night I had a situation where I managed to get Angelo's tension maxed out, and at that point I'm like "yeah.... you're not even trying to be subtle, are you, Toriyama?" It sooo much looks like he's about to go Super Saiyan.

Sigh. Looking up prices on Dragonball/Z/GT DVDs (I used to own them but had to sell them sometime back) and its kinda reminding me of back in the day. Basically, since I was bad about scheduling, and also because I lived in North America where we got Dragonball stuff in a messed-up order, I wound up having to discover the saga pretty much piecemeal. One day I would rent a disc containing three Cell-era episodes, the next day I would read the manga volume which details how Goku defeated the Red Ribbon Army. I don't know why but this way of slowly discovering the saga actually did a lot to make the whole thing seem more magical and mysterious than it really was.

I wonder if anyone else had that experience?

(I remember Budokai being a part of that thanks to its story mode which efficiently summarized the first three story arcs).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ask me again after I play DBZ Kakarot. But for now, here's my current favorites.

Legacy of Goku 2
    Buu's Furry
    Budokai Tenkaichi 3
    Budokai 1
    Budokai Infinite World

So, I both really like and kind of don't like DBZ. I watched it growing up and I really like the story, but have you ever went back and tried to watch DBZ as an adult? The amount of filler episodes are ridiculous. There's no less than 347 episodes of Freiza and Goku before either one of them throw a punch(exaggeration.) It's a pretty painful watch now but I've always liked the Android and Cell Saga best, both of which still have great pacing compared to the remainder of the series. Still has pacing issues, but just far better than everything else.

As a fan of video games, I like the DBZ games with decent gameplay but follow the storyline closely better.

Legacy of Goku 2 has "okay" gameplay, but the main thing about it is how well it follows the storyline(with noticeable issues) from when the Z warriors return to Earth after Namek all the way up to the death of Cell. It's got an open explorable action adventure world and each character has a specific charge attack as well as special attacks that you'd see them use in the show. Watch this video below just as a comparison.

Here's a part that goes from Picollo fights 17, 17 gets absorbed by Cell's first form, and then Vegeta and Trunks finish their training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. There's actual DBZ music in the game(western music) so you'll be able to hear several pieces from Bruce Falconer(remixed of course.) However most is original, but does sound very DBZ like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0X5Ys8k6_Q

Buu's Fury is essentially the same thing as Legacy of Goku 2 but there's no charge attack anymore and your characters only punch or use special moves. They've added an equipment system with random drops, but if you equip weighted armor you gain more experience and the game becomes way too easy. However, just like Legacy of Goku 2 very explorable and follows the storyline fairly well.

Budokai Tenkaichi is when the series went into a more DBZ like combat fighting system. The original game though was trash. Gameplay on Budokai Tenkaichi 2 was a massive improvement, and then the third game was a slight improvement but the huge thing about Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is that it goes through major sections of the DBZ and GT storyline. You actually play through a lot of the battles somewhat similar to how they actually function in the anime itself. It's honestly really really cool how they do this. Now, if you want specifically the best gameplay in this game type, then buy Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast 2. It has a lot of content, it has a massive amount of character and the gameplay itself is the best the Budokai Tenkaichi series has ever been. The single player is just a lot of battles, but there's no story to it, there's honestly nothing to the game really other than a lot of unlocks.

Here's a video of the Goku vs Vegeta fight during the Saiyan Saga, I'll link the same video at multiple sections so you can see the different story segments that the player can branch into to essentially go through the battle if you're actually watching the anime itself. They even have the dialogue if Goku uses the Kaio Ken attack where Vegeta is surprised how high Goku's power level increases, right after that part the player goes into the third segment of the battle so keep watching.

https://youtu.be/thW--VvjHQU

https://youtu.be/thW--VvjHQU?t=140

https://youtu.be/thW--VvjHQU?t=216

Budokai 1 starts from the beginning of the Saiyan Saga and goes all the way to Cell Saga. Again, a lot of cinematics from DBZ. The best game in the series though is Infinite World. Infinite World has the best gameplay(debatable atleast.) It also goes through the entire DBZ story better than Budokai 3, but you might not like all the low budget mini games between battles. I like it, it's not really that great but it's cool running to the end of Snake Way, escape from Namek, etc. It's not exceptionally good extras, but it has a lot of charm imo.

//

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot seems to be the first game in awhile that might be both good and follow the storyline heaivly. Gameplay does look pretty rough around the edges and I really don't like the open world oh, and "side quests" which are really this day and age fetch quest garbage, but from what I've read and seen they're going to have pretty much every major scene and a lot of non major scenes within the game to go through the entire DBZ from Saiyan all the way up to the end of Buu. This may be the best DBZ ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qEuwskL8A
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Buu's Furry
    I know its wrong to highlight spelling errors but like, I would actually love to see a game or a romhack that runs with the implied concept of Buu knowing a Furry (or perhaps being a furry).

It would be the DBZ/MLP crossover we've long awaited.

So, I both really like and kind of don't like DBZ. I watched it growing up and I really like the story, but have you ever went back and tried to watch DBZ as an adult? The amount of filler episodes are ridiculous.
    I completely agree.

To this day I have actually never watched every episode of DB, Z, and GT in their entirety. I have experienced the DB/Z story beginning to end... via the manga, which proceeds at a much faster pace (though arguably is even more "The Goku Show" than the anime is). In fact I usually tell people that its better to read the manga first, and then only watch the anime if they couldn't get enough.

It also makes some things more internally consistent--Goku being reluctant to use the Spirit Bomb against Buu's final form makes more sense in the manga where the attack has basically never worked (at least not to the extent of being a battle-ender all by itself), versus the anime where, especially in the various movies, its precisely what Goku does to defeat pretty much every anime-original villain.

For a long time I thought my DB/Z phase ended there. When Super premiered... I didn't watch it, for pretty much the same reason I didn't give a crap about the new Star Wars movies: I don't care about what amounts to corporate-endorsed fanfiction. In Super's case it doesn't help that one of its storylines--a tournament spanning multiple parallel realities--is eerily close to fanfics and even concepts for the "Dragon Ball AF" hoax that I had seen back in the late 90s and early 2000s (pretty sure there's even a fan comic that uses this premise).

Pretty much I kinda dislike this current trend of old things getting new continuations, as a lot of them just make the thing worse, not better, and its intensely clear that whatever spark these things had died a long time ago.

(At least DBZ I understand the appeal of. I don't get why people were always so ga-ga over Star Wars. I mean its a franchise where the good guys are literally called "The Rebel Alliance" and the bad guys are just "The Empire." The empire of WHAT? Does it not have a name? And of course everyone wears either all-black or all-white... just, it seems like one of the most sterile properties in existence. It made for three fun action movies but I don't see a need for sequels, prequels, or any sort of expanded universe)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Personally I liked the original Dragon Ball manga right up until there was a time skip of a few years to get to the next tournament. At that point the manga basically started skipping over the adventuring to focus specifically on the fights, and this is where I got tired of it. I read all of the original Dragon Ball manga but never read Dragon Ball Z after that. I've seen various episodes of the animes on TV years earlier but not really that many.

Keep in mind various characters just disappeared from the story as well with no explanation which just left me irritated. No further mention of Launch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Keep in mind various characters just disappeared from the story as well with no explanation which just left me irritated. No further mention of Launch?
    I know, right? You'd think her more psychotic half would be a fan favorite or something. Apparently Toriyama is bad about forgetting characters (fellow mangaka Echiro Oda said his favorite DB villain was Taopaipai, and Toriyama was like "who?")

One of the benefits of the anime is that the anime writers actually try to still include the lesser characters--early DBZ anime actually explains where Launch went (she's living with Tenshinhan now).

I've heard that Toriyama also oversees the manga of Dragonball Super... which apparently still has a problem of forgetting characters. Me personally I just kinda dislike that Super probably removes GT's interpretation of Pan (who I honestly liked) from existence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Isn't Aramis supposed to be somewhat effeminate though? That doesn't seem to fit Angelo
    Maybe just a bit effeminate, but really more of the straight-up wine, women, and war, with a thin veneer of piety and deep cynicism fits both of them very well. Though if you want scary, the sequels turn Aramis into an eerie resemblance of Marcello. I'd swear that's well the character ideas came from.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.