Anyone else looking forward to this?

The demo is out now. "Medievil: Short Lived Demo"

Nostalgia hit for me.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I am interested in knowing how good the Medievil remake is. They have some promotional wall decorations about it at the local GameStop. How much does this remake cost?

I never owned the original Medievil, but I saw a lot about it back in the day in the magazines. I might have even played the demo disc back then. It was on a demo CD, right?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

This was one of my favorite series on the PS1. Interested to see what it will do to prices for the PS1 versions.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

69.12% at GameRankings.com

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The only thing I remember about Medievil is it had a pretty bad camera, could be the reason why it got such a low rating. But again, I really remember nothing about it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

It's great fun. One of the 3 PS1 remakes I wanted alongside Ape Escape and Omega Boost. They are very faithful to the original game and that's where opinions are mixed. The game is by no means bad. It's very well done..at being the exact same game with new visuals and music. There are some minor improvements but overall it plays like a game from that era.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Most pro reviews on 1:1 remakes are worthless. They go into them with the mindset that old games are inherently inferior to modern games, so they'll score remakes low if they aren't totally modernized. It was the same deal with the Secret of Mana remake. People will talk like the SNES game is a classic, yet also talk like the remake is trash, even though it's basically the same game with a new coat of paint.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Eh, I'm not so sure. Crash, Spyro, and CTR remakes all were received well. It really does have the problem of not having a spectacular base on which to make a remake unlike those three.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Most pro reviews on 1:1 remakes are worthless. They go into them with the mindset that old games are inherently inferior to modern games, so they'll score remakes low if they aren't totally modernized. It was the same deal with the Secret of Mana remake. People will talk like the SNES game is a classic, yet also talk like the remake is trash, even though it's basically the same game with a new coat of paint.
    To be fair, some games that are remade kind of don't deserve it and they really do need to be modernized as they weren't even that good when they released. As I've said the only thing I remember about Medievil is that the camera was bad, but I can't tell you whether I liked it or not because I've only played it once way back when and didn't even finish it. However, I've had the same opinion of Secret of Mana for the longest time. You know of this opinion because we spoke of it in a couple of threads prior to the remakes release. People aren't wrong about their complaints of Secret of Mana, they're right on point with their comments about the remake, but as you stated, these complaints are the same complaints they would have had back on the SNES except "bias"(not quoting you, this is actually my opinion here.) The reason people loved Secret of Mana wasn't because of the gameplay at all, and now that the game looks like a budget mobile game, or "people have finally played it" they finally are honest about this biased opinion they've held for years.

However, journalists wouldn't have to crap all over a game for having old mechanics if it wasn't for Sony bothering to make sure whether the games are even worth remaking in the first place. Look at Nintendo's remakes. Ocarina of Time's remake on the 3DS is very playable to this day, Crash Bandicoot is playable to this day and the only reason Sony finally proposed a deal with Activision is because the fans were begging for a long time. These games are actually good. However, Sony making decisions is is like a bunch of suits saying, "oh let's remake this old game because it sold well" over people who have been developing games for over 30 years and are like "let's remake this game because it's actually good." PS1 Classic vs the SNES Classic, people who have no about games and it's nothing but a business decision over a business decision based on actual knowledge of their games.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The last thing we need is to go back to the old days when hardware manufacturers were heavy-handed with third-party developers, telling them what they can and can't release. As I've said a million times, I don't expect the gaming industry to revolve around me and my tastes, so I don't think my tastes should determine what "deserves" to be made, nor should yours. If a developer wants to remake a game and chooses to do it 1:1, I say the more the merrier. I'd rather have the opportunity to give a game a shot and see if I like it or not than for it to not exist in the first place. Sales will determine if a release was a good idea or not for the publisher. With the Mana remakes, the green light for each project has hinged on the sales of the last. There wouldn't have been a Secret of Mana remake to begin with if Adventures of Mana hadn't sold well, and we wouldn't be getting both the first ever localization of the original version of Seiken Densetsu 3 and a remake of it if not for good sales on the Secret of Mana remake. So for that alone, I'm very grateful for the existence of the Secret of Mana remake, before I even factor in my enjoyment of it. People who have never liked Secret of Mana aren't of my concern here. The remake wasn't for them, so they only have themselves to blame if they bought a remake of a game they didn't like and somehow expected to like that version. It's the people who love the original but hate the remake who confuse me, unless their love for the original is entirely rooted in the graphics.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The last thing we need is to go back to the old days when hardware manufacturers were heavy-handed with third-party developers, telling them what they can and can't release. As I've said a million times, I don't expect the gaming industry to revolve around me and my tastes, so I don't think my tastes should determine what "deserves" to be made, nor should yours.
    I wouldn't mind if hardware manufacturers prevented developers from releasing games with loot boxes or gambling mechanics in them. Also preventing games from being released if they contain game breaking bugs or are unfinished would be nice, instead of just letting them get patched later like with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5. Small bugs ok, but large ones not ok.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It would be nice if all games weren't released until they were polished enough to not have significant bugs, but I would worry about how that would be defined and enforced. If there were a mandated amount of QA and the cost would presumably be on the publisher, the added time and expense could kill the viability of small, niche releases, games that might not even need as extensive QA as AAA games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

How hard is it to delay a game two weeks when you already have a day one patch in the works? Some games it feels if there's no QA whatsoever. With games that have millions of dollars put into their development, why does it feel like some are unplayable at launch.

Secret of Mana had a day one patch and it still crashed repeatedly. Every THQ Nordic game released has slowdown and glitches all over the place. Have you seen what This is the Police looks like? This game has massive frame drops every time a new event appears on the screen. Battlechaser's Nightwar has great gameplay but it's plauged by slowndown, crashes, and other bugs. Titan Quest can go into the single digits on consoles and just stay there when there's a lot going on screen. When you have a company with a succession of releases that all control as bad as they do, console publishers should force these publishers and devs to fix the issues like they did before, but everything about gaming now days is to squeeze every drop of money out of people that they can.

Yes, by Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft mandating something like that they could push the developer or publisher to another console. But do you think a publisher would want to lose an entire market? They'd likely put forth the money to do QA and then fix the issues compared to the amount they'd lose by not being able to sell the money at all, but again, the three major publishers are just as interested in the money as every other publisher. If they weren't they wouldn't allow some of the trash to make it on the system(Life of Black Tiger and that one unplayable Dark Souls indie game being on PS4. Little Big Planet 3, a Sony game crashed six times in an hour, and this is months after it was released, despite how good it may or may not have been I don't know, never touched it again.

I went back to play Darkest Dungeon the PS4 recently and I reinstalled it and attempted to play without the update. The game wouldn't load. Tried several times, reset the PS4, etc. Unplayable without the patch, game won't even load(apparently this is only the US version, someone else tested a PAL version and it worked.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-08-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Buggy AAA games and buggy niche games are two very different issues. Everybody knows how publishers of AAA games put making a release date before all else, putting programmers and QA staff through months of crunch where they're barely treated like humans. AAA games are often multiplatform, and, yes, the publishers will usually put up with whatever rules the hardware manufacturers throw at them in order to reach the broadest audience possible. But I don't see hardware manufacturers putting mandates in place that only affect big publishers.

With very niche games, sometimes the publisher can't even afford to patch a game at all. Exist Archive from Aksys crashes now and then but won't be getting a patch. Tokyo Tattoo Girls has a glitched trophy, making the platinum unattainable, and NISA has stated they have no plans for a patch. The latter has also crashed on me. Does it suck that these games are left in a state like this? Absolutely, but if publishers were forced to patch niche games like these, or forced to pay people's salaries an extra couple weeks for further QA, it's very possible these shoestring budget games wouldn't be localized at all. I can understand younger gamers having no patience for games that crash or what have you, but as a retro gamer, I can adapt. If an old school game was buggy, you just dealt with it because patches didn't exist and offers of replacement carts/discs (like with Turok: Rage Wars) were extremely rare. Occasional crashing didn't stop Star Ocean 2 from becoming one of my very favorite games.