So I just got a Switch (YAY!) and went looking up games for it (I only have Dragon Quest Builders 2 right now) and... well...

It made me realize some things I thought were dead somehow still live.

It's not necessarily that these are bad... its more I always thought they were so niche and unprofitable that surely they would be something only an old man like myself would vaguely remember.

Nobunaga's Ambition, for example. I remember a time when these were the NES games I most wanted to play, and everyone else I talked to--both IRL and online (this being back near the dawn of emulation)--were like "Dude what the hell even is that?"

Somehow the series has a new installment on the freaking Switch. Also there was a crossover with Pokemon, apparently?

I mean what's next, a version of Blaster Master where you can opt to play as Shantae well speak of the devil .

Another shocker that I saw when I was looking for Switch games is there's apparently a Raiden V. You guys remember Raiden, right? Those arcade shmups that are arguably the grand daddy's of the danmaku genre? I used to have the first on the TG16 of all things. Somehow, each generation has a Raiden. And yet its a series I almost never hear anyone talk about, despite its undying nature.

And yeah I know lately crowdfunding has led to a lot of banking-on-nostalgia revivals of old brands, but I'm more shocked at the things that seemingly never went anywhere in the first place despite it logically seeming like they would... and more importantly, sometimes they seem to be getting more prominent.

Like how many people remember the original Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes? I had a friend who is playing its distant sequel, Trails of Cold Steel, and was shocked that the franchise not only began in the early 90s but its actually a spinoff of a longer franchise.

Anyway, you guys got any personal examples of "wow, that's still around?"

nb4 someone nominates Bubsy.