Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game series I'm shocked are still around

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    The shock/surprise is generated from the fact that it HAS been dormant for so long and suddenly people thought to revive it.
    It could have been a cheap license that just happened to be available. Someone wanted to make a game fueled by nostalgia and it was one of the few licenses available within their budget, as anything remembered more fondly was too expensive or not for sale. It's still a bit surprising when it happens and gets announced, but it's still understandable as to why it happened.

To put it another way, think about jumpscares.
    Good horror films shouldn't have many if any jumpscares, psychological horror is far more meaningful. Jumpscares are just startling someone and you can be startled by anything even if it's not something actually scary. A lot of "horror" films are just lazy.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Again I kinda think you're placing the cart before the horse here. The shock/surprise is generated from the fact that it HAS been dormant for so long and suddenly people thought to revive it. One's own personal fandom or lack thereof have no bearing on what you can observe with your own two eyes.

To put it another way, think about jumpscares. Horror fans often say the most effective ones come in movies or games that only had one or two because you've gotten into a mindset that they're not gonna happen, so its more shocking when they actually do (vs stuff like FNAF where guys like Pewdiepie stopped reacting to the scares because they became so predictable). There's a similar thing at work here: Bubsy coming back is a shock because he's been dormant since the mid-1990s, whereas, say, a new Sonic game comes out every year.
    *shrugs* Maybe I'm just getting blase about things, but so many series have been revived after dormancy that I don't find it particularly shocking or surprising unless the revived IP was trash to begin with. If it's something good, my reaction is more like "It's about time." For example, Konami has a lot of franchises they've barely touched in a long time. If, say, a new TwinBee or Goemon were announced, I'd just say it's long overdue, rather than a shock.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

@Aussie2B admittedly I'm getting that way as well, except a bit worse... whenever I hear revival (tho moreso cartoons than video games) I tend to think they're gonna f--- it up somehow rather than being any sort of pleased.

Just in my experience, revivals always miss whatever it is you liked in the first place.

But most people aren't as cynical as I am or as informed (or conditioned) as either of us, so I can understand where shock is coming from.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I'm pretty pessimistic about revivals/reboots/remakes/etc. too. Newer isn't always better, or even as good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

And now I just remember the ending of the short story The Monkey's Paw.

Which kinda makes me wonder if there's any people here who were excited for a new game or a sequel in a series but then it wound up sucking?

I can only think of two, only one of them is a video game (the other is Quantum of Solace, the movie which made me stop following James Bond. I liked them all up until the Craig era).

The video game one is Chrono Cross, which I found such an offense I like to pretend it doesn't exist. There is no Chrono Cross.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I had a similar experience with Chrono Cross. As a huge fan of Chrono Trigger, I was super hyped for it (hard not to be when it was being promoted with its FMV intro, which both looked great and has one of the best songs used in a video game ever, in my opinion), preordered it, picked up the game on launch day with the preorder bonus clock and strategy guide, and started racing other people online I talked to to see who could beat it first. I started petering out around 20 or 30 hours in and stopped caring about keeping up with the others. I wanted to force myself to like the game, but in the end, I just didn't enjoy playing it. I love the music, art, and graphics, but the story and gameplay are a mess. Now I best enjoy Chrono Cross by pulling out my OST or artbook.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Mainly, I remember the gameplay being abysmal. Like, I don't recall all the specifics, but early game is like "If you attack while tapping your foot, you'll do an attack which has a high chance of missing but can instakill red-butted baboons. If you attack while doing a handstand it'll heal your party and force vampires to do a striptease. If you use magic A on a full moon it'll be much stronger against rules lawyers. Oh, and when you go shopping for items, you have to actually bring the store's damn inventory to them so they can make an item out of it."

It was kinda silly when one of the things that made CT so great was how straightforward it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I am surprise Baldur Gate 1/2, Neverwinter Night, Ice Wind and Torment got release for switch. I thought it was PC exclusive for longest time and most of the newer console gamers never heard of these title. Glad it did.

Also other game that make a surprise comeback would be the River City ransom with the newest entry River City Girls.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Sonic the Hedgehog.

Don't get me wrong, the Genesis games were fantastic, and every once in a while they accidentally make a decent one (like Sonic Colors)... but how is there still such a strong demand for more Sonic games? Is it all 40 year old men who remember the originals, or are there new young Sonic fans who inexplicably got hooked on Sonic Heroes or Sonic and the Black Knight?

--Zero

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    or are there new young Sonic fans who inexplicably got hooked on Sonic Heroes or Sonic and the Black Knight?
    Definitely. My 10-year-old nephew was obsessed with Sonic. Between the cartoons, toys, games, and so on, the franchise has been pretty good at attracting new fans. It also probably doesn't hurt that a lot of those 40-year-old men have kids of their own and will pick up new Sonic games for their kids just because they remember the originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The thing that annoys me about Sonic is that he's become the face of the Sega Genesis, one of my favorite consoles.

Like seriously, whenever you see people need a representative of "best of the Genesis," they almost invariably go to Sonic... because he's the only Sega Genesis character they know. Like, hello? Shinobi III? Splatterhouse 2? The Phantasy Star and Shining Force games? Nope its just Sonic Sonic Sonic. For these people Sonic might as well be the only game Sega ever released.

Super Nintendo doesn't seem to have this problem--you can discuss that without it all being about Mario. That kind of irks me.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The problem there is Sega hasn't been as good as Nintendo about keeping the memory of their old franchises alive. They've either been abandoned, evolved into something barely resembling the Genesis games (like modern Shining and Phantasy Star games), and/or the new entries just plain aren't very good.

That said, I think most people's favorites for SNES are pretty samey. It's almost always Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The problem there is Sega hasn't been as good as Nintendo about keeping the memory of their old franchises alive. They've either been abandoned, evolved into something barely resembling the Genesis games (like modern Shining and Phantasy Star games), and/or the new entries just plain aren't very good.

That said, I think most people's favorites for SNES are pretty samey. It's almost always Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.
    That's true but at least Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are non-core franchises that aren't constantly being milked, showing that people do remember even the non-core stuff.

Part of me wonders if this is why the TurboGrafx is rarely remembered at all--nobody remembers Bonk, and his major thing was the TG16/PC-Engine. Kinda sad really that nobody remembers that gem of a console.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The PC Engine is well-known and fondly remembered in Japan. But probably less so for Bonk (PC Genjin) and more for stuff like Tengai Makyo. In the West, the availability of the TG-16 was too limited to begin with to be remembered well. I don't think I even knew it had ever existed until the late 90s. I don't recall it being at any of the stores I went to, and I definitely didn't know anyone who had one. And since I wasn't getting any gaming magazines back then, I just never heard about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I learned about the TG16 because my uncle had a friend who had one. Seeing Splatterhouse when you're only like, nine or so years old is quite the experience I must say.

I wish I could talk to that guy and see if he still has his games (I think he had pretty much every hucard in North America at the time)

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Like, hello? Shinobi III? Splatterhouse 2? The Phantasy Star and Shining Force games? Nope its just Sonic Sonic Sonic.
    Yeah, but none of those games have recognizable characters... Joe Musashi is just a regular ninja guy, Phantasy Star and Shining Force don't have consistent character rosters, and Splatterhouse isn't a Sega property. Sega was all about the arcade games, and you never really got any story or character there anyways, so the closest thing you got to a mascot was Ax Battler. If anything, they were relying more on licensed celebrities like Michael Jackson and Buster Douglas.

They did make some more memorable characters later on that they could have done more with... like the Streets of Rage crew, Vectorman, Ecco, and ToeJam & Earl. They did try some spinoffs with the Eternal Champions characters, but those went pretty badly.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Yeah, but none of those games have recognizable characters...
    ... Not sure why that matters when the issue is people only recognizing one franchise. I mean, NES fans remember Tetris and that sure don't have recognizable characters.

For that matter, you mentioned Phantasy Star not having a consistent roster, but isn't that true for Final Fantasy as well?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I mean, NES fans remember Tetris and that sure don't have recognizable characters.
    I dunno about that. The L-Block won GameFAQs's most popular character battle years ago, haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I dunno about that. The L-Block won GameFAQs's most popular character battle years ago, haha.
    I always liked the straight line best. That set of squares has a sharp wit.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The thing that annoys me about Sonic is that he's become the face of the Sega Genesis, one of my favorite consoles.

Like seriously, whenever you see people need a representative of "best of the Genesis," they almost invariably go to Sonic... because he's the only Sega Genesis character they know. Like, hello? Shinobi III? Splatterhouse 2? The Phantasy Star and Shining Force games? Nope its just Sonic Sonic Sonic. For these people Sonic might as well be the only game Sega ever released.

Super Nintendo doesn't seem to have this problem--you can discuss that without it all being about Mario. That kind of irks me.
    this is true and with people waxing nostalgiacally in generally, 99% of the time the only game I will hear mentioned is "Super Mario Bros." thats not even an exaggeration