Thread: Should I get Minecraft on Switch?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Should I get Minecraft on Switch?

So, I've already got Dragon Quest Builders 2, which is a lot like Minecraft, but.... [and yeah I'm not sure if this should just go in the DQ topic, I'll let Aussie decide, but hopefully we'll discuss Minecraft more]

Thing is, at times I get frustrated with the "story" aspect of DQB2, like I just wanna build but the game keeps asking me to do all this other stuff and some abilities and conveniences don't exist until you reach X part of the storyline. At the same time though, sometimes I just ignore that stuff and build whatever I want anyway and when I do, I don't really feel all that constrained.

So like, I wonder... should I get Minecraft on the Switch, or does it have its own frustrations I should be warned about?

I'm asking because I thought I saw some anti-Minecraft people here and I kinda wanna know what their beef is.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So, I've already got Dragon Quest Builders 2, which is a lot like Minecraft, but.... [and yeah I'm not sure if this should just go in the DQ topic, I'll let Aussie decide, but hopefully we'll discuss Minecraft more]

Thing is, at times I get frustrated with the "story" aspect of DQB2, like I just wanna build but the game keeps asking me to do all this other stuff and some abilities and conveniences don't exist until you reach X part of the storyline. At the same time though, sometimes I just ignore that stuff and build whatever I want anyway and when I do, I don't really feel all that constrained.

So like, I wonder... should I get Minecraft on the Switch, or does it have its own frustrations I should be warned about?

I'm asking because I thought I saw some anti-Minecraft people here and I kinda wanna know what their beef is.
    I dont have a beef with Minecraft I just didnt know what I was supposed to do. I wasnt a fan of the graphics. Maybe I could try it again at some point, I just didnt "get it". That was the 360 version

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

My main beef with Minecraft is that it makes me motion sick. But beyond that, I find it boring and aimless. The reason I like Dragon Quest Builders but not Minecraft is besides DQB having way more personality with the art style, setting, characters, etc., it also has a sense of direction. But if you want free-form building, Minecraft probably will better serve you.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    My main beef with Minecraft is I find it boring and aimless. The reason I like Dragon Quest Builders but not Minecraft is besides DQB having way more personality with the art style, setting, characters, etc., it also has a sense of direction. But if you want free-form building, Minecraft probably will better serve you.
    Edited the post a bit, but this.

//

Being a PC game, you can add mods and have unlimited amount of textures, sure, but man does the game look like ass. If you finish Dragon Quest Builders though you have a pretty massive amount of different items and textured blocks that you can build. Dragon Quest Builders 2 allows you to add steps, allows you to add slanted blocks. It's not just squares.

I mostly don't like the aimless activities of many of these builder games which is why I like DQB, but, if I was to play something aimless though, I'd play something like 7 Days to Die. The setting, the idea behind it, etc. I have played the game but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would so I ended up selling it. I did crap all over it because of not only the aimless feel of it but it is actually one of those games where you really got to know what you're doing, what you should be using your time doing, what items do what etc, so honestly it requires a bit more of an extensive play time to actually get into and it was something that's not my playstyle. However, while I don't care for let's plays and everything, when watching others who do actually know what they're doing, this game does look like it could be good which is why I bought into it in the first place, I just didn't have the time to invest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaJ3l_fia4w
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You can quote portions of people's posts if you don't find the whole thing relevant to what you're saying, but I would ask that you refrain from editing quotes in such a manner that it changes what the person said and puts words in their mouth.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It didn't change what you said. I removed the part where Minecraft makes me have motion sickness and left everything else the same.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

My main beef with Minecraft is that it makes me motion sick.
    What if you change the camera view settings and disable the bobbing movement when moving? Or are these settings not present in the variant of Minecraft you are playing? Do other first-person games have this motion-sickness effect on you?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    What if you change the camera view settings and disable the bobbing movement when moving? Or are these settings not present in the variant of Minecraft you are playing? Do other first-person games have this motion-sickness effect on you?
    Yeah, first-person games in general are a problem for me. I can play stuff like dungeon crawlers okay, since the rigid, grid-based movement keeps me from feeling sick, but I largely avoid first-person games with free-form movement. Before I ever put any serious time into Minecraft, my husband spent a good amount of time adjusting the settings, turning off the bobbing and adjusting the view, since he gets motion sick from first-person games too and knows how best to set them up to minimize that. But it still got to me so bad after a couple hours of playing that I then spent basically the whole weekend lying in bed. My husband tends to power through his motion sickness, and through repeat exposure to a game, it becomes less of a problem for him. But I don't have the patience for that, to make myself feel sick over and over just for the sake of playing a game. I've got hundreds of other games I can play that won't make me feel sick.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Apparently the switch version of Story Mode got a physical release, so you can still get it.

That said, until recently I was confused as to what Story Mode even *was* (I went and asked on a reddit and they set me straight). The title is just bad as calling it "Mode" makes it seem like an expansion to the main game, not a separate product. That said, Minecraft always seemed to me like basically.... my mind keeps wanting to compare it to Simcity, in the sense that while there is some gameplay (its possible to tick off your citizens) you're mostly just screwing around and doing things you wanna do. Building blocks. Likewise with Minecraft yeah you can die or be killed but its mostly just "build stuff."

I don't see what the point of a Story Mode game would be really, because nothing suggests Minecraft has a deep lore... it would be like having a storyline for Simcity. In that sense, Dragon Quest Builders almost works better for that purpose since the storyline involves you directly using (and in a lot of cases learning how to use) the toys you're given, and its attached to a franchise that already had lore to mine and craft from before it became a minecraft-type game (hell the two DQB games are direct sequels to the first two DQ games).

And yeah I take one look at Minecraft's world of block people and think "yeah there's no way this has an actual story."

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Yeah, first-person games in general are a problem for me.
    What if you change the camera in Minecraft to a 3rd person perspective? Or is that not an option on the consoles? It works in Java Edition.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Edmond, you should get Minecraft. It is a lot of fun when you approach it the right way. You can either play Survival Mode or Creative Mode.

In Survival Mode, enemies will exist in dark locations and they will try to attack you. This Mode is good for when you want to make your own adventures or goals while playing. As long as you have the required crafting materials, you can build whatever you want. The game even includes Achievements and a "recipe" guide book now. However, I'd still recommend that you use a Minecraft wiki while playing to reference crafting recipes whenever you want to build something until you memorize things.

In Creative Mode, there are no enemies and you have unlimited blocks to build whatever you want. You are invincible and can even fly around the skies!

The Nintendo variants of Minecraft also include Super-Mario-themed content.

The PC variants, especially Java Edition (the original game), allow for the use of a lot of cool modifications that can add, enable, or disable certain content or other things. If you go this route, then you should try the Technic launcher which makes it simple to add and launch mods with Minecraft.

You might also want to play Minecraft: Story Mode Seasons 1 and 2. They can be difficult to find or play these days what with the bankruptcy of Telltale Games. If you want, then you can watch videos of playthroughs on YouTube or Twitch. However while the Minecraft: Story Mode seasons don't play like MC, they can help to establish the world and lore of Minecraft - or at least give you an idea of some of the things that can be found out there in Minecraft's world.

You can also play Minecraft online with other people. This can be accomplished either by running your own server or paying for Microsoft's private servers which are called Minecraft Realms.

Some variations of Minecraft even include mini-games!

I like to listen to podcasts while playing Minecraft with the game's music disabled and the sound effects dialed to quiet. That way I can enjoy playing Minecraft while keeping the rest of my brain entertained with talk programs (usually talking about retro games). You might be amazed by all of the things I've built in Minecraft over the years while listening to podcasts!