Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Analogue Pocket - new handheld for GBA/GG/NGPC/Lynx

Came across this news article today: https://hardware.srad.jp/story/19/10/18/1622231/

Here's the overview: https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

Considering what it's built with, maybe the $199 initial price isn't so bad. It has HDMI support so does this mean there is finally a convenient way to play Game Gear games without emulation with a TV? I gotta wonder how it handles regions, since some GG carts behave differently based on the region of the GG it's running on, and the game content can really change as a result...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

This will be the be-all end-all for Lynx, GameGear, and NeoGeo Pocket Color. The Lynx is a battery monster, buttons are crap, screen is crap. GameGear wasnt a whole lot better besides the buttons. Cant wait for this. Hope the cartridge input doesnt have a death grip like Hyperkins products

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

this will be the first fpga clone i purchase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Neat this is definitely a cheaper alternative to a consolized gba.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

not really part of the subject, but i really wish analog could have done a genesis/snes combo system in that same price range...$250...i may have bitten on that, but i have a hard time justifying close to $300 for a snes or genesis clone

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    I gotta wonder how it handles regions, since some GG carts behave differently based on the region of the GG it's running on, and the game content can really change as a result...
    I never heard this before with Game Gear games, is there a list of the games that run differently? I thought portable games ran the same on all systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    some GG carts behave differently based on the region of the GG it's running on, and the game content can really change as a result...
    I've never heard of this either, and I've considered myself pretty deep into the GameGear over the years.

The ergonomics on the Analogue Pocket appear to be pretty bad. The buttons appear quite cramped, no idea about the shoulder buttons, and the edges are nearly squared-off = doesn't look like it will be comfortable or conducive to long play sessions.

Analogue never came through or updated what happened to the Game Gear adapter for the MegaSG.
    How long will buyers be waiting for the
    * Cartridge adapters required for Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Atari Lynx [ Sold Separately ].
    as they aren't shown to exist or function?...

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yes the Game Gear has regions despite having no region lock. I would be surprised if there is not already a list of games that are affected by the region of the GG they're running on. For example I was glad to play Tails Adventure with the JP cart, but because I have a US GG, the whole game ran in US mode. Couldn't muster any info on the topic of how to set the region of a GG either.

If I'm not mistaken someone on this very forum spoke of Ristar or some similar adventure game that had an entire game section missing unless you ran the cart on a JP GG.

Other carts are likely equipped in the same manner some Mega Drive carts were, detecting the region of the console and loading the ROM content accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if the GG Bare Knuckle games also do this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FoxNtd For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (08-15-2020)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncman071 View Post
    not really part of the subject, but i really wish analog could have done a genesis/snes combo system in that same price range...$250...i may have bitten on that, but i have a hard time justifying close to $300 for a snes or genesis clone
    A combo genesis/snes woud have been too clonish for my taste. Sort of a non emulation version of the Retron 5.
    These FPGA consoles are under $200, which seems pretty reasonable to me. In fact I bought 2 Analogue Super NT's and 2 Analogue Mega SG's myself. I wanted an American and Japanese version of each. The Mega SG plays Master System carts as well and also attaches itself to a Sega CD drive, making itself incredibly useful to me.
    I would have bought an Analogue Pocket no matter what, but when I saw that you could dock it and play games on an HD TV with regular controllers, I was ecstatic!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    A combo genesis/snes woud have been too clonish for my taste. Sort of a non emulation version of the Retron 5.
    These FPGA consoles are under $200, which seems pretty reasonable to me. In fact I bought 2 Analogue Super NT's and 2 Analogue Mega SG's myself. I wanted an American and Japanese version of each. The Mega SG plays Master System carts as well and also attaches itself to a Sega CD drive, making itself incredibly useful to me.
    I would have bought an Analogue Pocket no matter what, but when I saw that you could dock it and play games on an HD TV with regular controllers, I was ecstatic!
    I echo those sentiments. If they had released a 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 with a generic controller that can play all of those systems, my thought is "whats the point." The idea is to take the original hardware and modernize it.

The Pocket I understand because why would someone pay $200 for a console that can only play the 70-some odd Lynx games. I see the add-on as being something that most gamers arent even going to bother with.

I did hear them say "and other systems" so I wonder if that means the Game.com cartridges will be compatible. I dont know what other systems they could be referring to. WonderSwan?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I think it's a great idea from Analogue, given their product line. Granted I won't buy it as I'm original hardware only!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yes the Game Gear has regions despite having no region lock. I would be surprised if there is not already a list of games that are affected by the region of the GG they're running on. For example I was glad to play Tails Adventure with the JP cart, but because I have a US GG, the whole game ran in US mode. Couldn't muster any info on the topic of how to set the region of a GG either.

If I'm not mistaken someone on this very forum spoke of Ristar or some similar adventure game that had an entire game section missing unless you ran the cart on a JP GG.

Other carts are likely equipped in the same manner some Mega Drive carts were, detecting the region of the console and loading the ROM content accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if the GG Bare Knuckle games also do this.
    So I could just buy the JP version of Tails Adventure and its basically the same as the US one I owned as a kid? Okay, glad I know this....

Also one game I recall being affected by regions was, of all things, a Puyo Puyo game that never got localized, but if played on a US GG it has an alternate title screen calling it something like Wizard Kids or something, and english text. Which some speculate means it was meant to be released stateside and it just didn't happen for some reason.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I can't remember hearing this at all so it's new to me. It's been years since I've played any of my Game Gear stuff but I think the only console I still own is a Japanese version so it might be problematic, I might have to track down a North American version after all. I only own a few games at this point but I think they're pretty much all Japanese versions, I still haven't tried them out and I'm not even sure if my console is still working or needs capacitors changed. It would definitely be a plus if I could get them to play in English. Dealing with the console reliability issues is the biggest pain with the system.