Thread: Official Limited Edition SEGA Genesis and Saturn "Fight Cancer" Controllers from Retro-Bit

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Official Limited Edition SEGA Genesis and Saturn "Fight Cancer" Controllers from Retro-Bit

Take part in helping the gaming community take down a common opponent. Retro-Bit is partnering with Limited Run Games and taking its official SEGA controllers a step further. It has partnered with the NBCF to bring these officially-licensed and now translucent-pink-colored SEGA Genesis and SEGA Saturn controllers to raise money for charity. These will be sold only through Limited Run Games via open pre-orders during October 2019 for $20 each. Each kind is limited to 2000 copies of each. They can be pre-ordered from Oct. 18th - 31st, 2019. A portion of sales goes to the NBCF to fight cancer.

The available controllers are:
    1. SEGA Genesis controller (compatible with original SEGA Genesis hardware)
    2. SEGA Saturn controller (compatible with original SEGA Saturn hardware)
    3. SEGA Genesis USB controller (compatible with Linux, Mac, PC, Steam, PS3, Switch, Genesis Mini, and anything else that can use a standard USB controller)
    4. SEGA Saturn USB controller (compatible with Linux, Mac, PC, Steam, PS3, Switch, Genesis Mini, and anything else that can use a standard USB controller)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I wonder how much effect, if any, food and drugs have on increased incidence of breast cancer. It seems like it's more common now than it was 40+ years ago. Of course there could be many reasons for my perceiving that but lifestyles have changed a lot in the last several decades. Smartphone usage, hormones/RBST injected into cows, for example. I remember reading that the hormones that cows are injected with has led to girls hitting puberty quicker. Not to mention how many women I have seen shoving their phones in their cleavage. That cant be good for you.

Just all speculation though, I have not done any research on this at all.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Just FYI, the amount per each sale donated is 10%.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I bought a pink Genesis and Saturn controller from LRG with my last game buy. Frankly, I don't care at all about breast cancer, but the collector in me wanted pink controllers. The identical blue versions are at Amazon for 14.99 with free shipping. LRG kicked me in the nuts with shipping for the pink ones.
    "each sale donated is 10%" I guess LRG and Retro-Bit don't care at all about breast cancer either, Sheeesh!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I bought a pink Genesis and Saturn controller from LRG with my last game buy. Frankly, I don't care at all about breast cancer, but the collector in me wanted pink controllers. The identical blue versions are at Amazon for 14.99 with free shipping. LRG kicked me in the nuts with shipping for the pink ones.
    "each sale donated is 10%" I guess LRG and Retro-Bit don't care at all about breast cancer either, Sheeesh!
    At only $20 a controller, I can't imagine the profit margins are the highest on these things, so with that mind, I think 10% is expected. They may only be making $5 for every controller they sell, given the royalties they have to pay to Sega.

My only criticism is levied at people who claim they are doing their part in these types of causes. Come on, 2 dollars? If you truly care about breast cancer, youre more likely to donate $10-30 a month directly to the program without having to buy something you wanted to begin with.

As for not caring about breast cancer, its understandable that with hundreds of problems in the world, it is hard to donate or feel passionately about everything, but hopefully you or a loved one never gets it.

I just donated $20 directly to NBCF. That is the equivalent of buying 10 of these controllers.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's nice when part of a purchase you'd make regardless can go toward something good, but I've never much liked the idea of charity that's dependent on purchases. If the seller really cared about the cause, they'd donate regardless of sales. But maybe it's a little different with LRG since they always sell out of everything, so they basically know from the get-go how much they'll be donating. Although, on the flip side, by placing hard limits on the number of controllers available, they're also limiting how much can go to NBCF.

I'm glad they're not donating to Susan G. Komen, at least. I find them pretty sketchy with how much of their donations they spend suing other breast cancer charities for supposed copyright infringement. On that note, they've sued other charities for using the color pink alone, so it seems like a risky move to make these controllers pink.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm glad they're not donating to Susan G. Komen, at least. I find them pretty sketchy with how much of their donations they spend suing other breast cancer charities for supposed copyright infringement. On that note, they've sued other charities for using the color pink alone, so it seems like a risky move to make these controllers pink.
    That's something I always look at as well when there's something like this. They're also the one whose CEO has a ridiculously high salary compared to other charities.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I wonder how much effect, if any, food and drugs have on increased incidence of breast cancer. It seems like it's more common now than it was 40+ years ago. Of course there could be many reasons for my perceiving that but lifestyles have changed a lot in the last several decades. Smartphone usage, hormones/RBST injected into cows, for example. I remember reading that the hormones that cows are injected with has led to girls hitting puberty quicker. Not to mention how many women I have seen shoving their phones in their cleavage. That cant be good for you.

Just all speculation though, I have not done any research on this at all.
    Actually, according to the CDC statistics, rates have been in a slight decline over the past 20 years. And cancer deaths have been in even more of a decline.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I am a Sega collector but I am not sure if I want to buy any of them or not. Tempting, but I already have so much gaming stuff, and should be saving money. Regarding the charity, these controllers could have easily just have been pink sega controllers without having any portion go to charity, so I suppose any percentage given to charity is better than just another after-market colored controller. Sure someone could always "do more" like what was mentioned earlier. If you think about it; if nothing was being donated, the only real criticism would have been peoples disinterest in the item.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mailman187666 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (10-24-2019)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Well, 2000 controllers * $20 each * 10% = $4000 as a donation. That's good enough to pay one cancer researcher for one month. It might not seem like much, but it nonetheless is progress!

With regards to detected cases of cancer, I believe that parts of the numbers can be explained by 1) better detection (finding vs not, one cancer vs another, really cancer vs some benign thing or some other malady) and 2) better technologies, techniques, and treatments resulting in higher cases of better and less damaging cancer removal and less deaths.