Thread: Yahoo Groups is Deleting Almost All Content Including Video Game Console Groups

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Yahoo Groups is Deleting Almost All Content Including Video Game Console Groups

I am so sad to see the demise of the Dreamcast groups as well as other video game groups on Yahoo Groups. I used to be an active user on the Dreamcast browser groups where we'd chat mostly about cool discoveries with the Dreamcast Web browsers and the cool technical things like JavaScript scripts which people created to use in the browsers to give them new functionality. They'd make them available for all the members to bookmark as bookmarklets, use to improve their browsing, and to possibly improve with their own code changes. They were such nice communities!

Eventually most people's disinterest and the overly active spammers ruined any good chance at having a conversation. The spam buried the useful posts, but if one digs enough, then the information can still be found until Verizon (new owners of Yahoo!) deletes it all during December 14th, 2019.

I will miss the camaraderie we had in our groups. It is a shame that so much useful and valuable data will be lost when Verizon / Yahoo deletes it all.

I hope that the VMU files, the Dreamcast PVR's, and all of the other awesome video game data which was once created and shared there is archived somewhere. I mean, I just found some Street Fighter Alpha 3 VMU save files from the DCBG which are still as useful as the day they were first uploaded!

Now only Internet Archive's partial copies of Web sites such as "The Dreamcast Browsers Group: The only Dreamcast browser user group on the Web" in their Wayback Machine are the only way of knowing about these sites and groups that once were. It's such a shame that it will all be gone.

I guess such is the temporal existence of life... and modern digital commerce.

Sources:
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/16/...-to-shut-down/
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DCBG-Files/info

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Facebook is essentially taking over everything. Which is really a shame because they monetize people's private affairs, spy on people's private conversations, sell bulk data to whoever is willing to pay for it, regardless of their status as a hate group or hostile foreign power, and do little to stop the spread of misinformation.

One would think in our "woke" culture of today, people would gravitate toward more scrupulous companies such as Yahoo in order to get their social fix, but I guess people would rather support the evil empires of the world (Amazon, Facebook, etc.) simply out of convenience.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

"Woke" culture mostly applies to Millennials and Gen Z, and they are gravitating away from Facebook. They're mostly on Twitter and Instagram and such. Facebook is basically the territory of Boomers now, who were slow to adopt it and are slow to drop it.

I can't remember the last time I looked at a Yahoo Group. They were never something I got invested in. Honestly, you could tell me that they had already been deleted years ago, and I wouldn't have noticed. I'm still bummed that all of Japanese Geocities got wiped out a few months ago.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Everything is on Reddit.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    "Woke" culture mostly applies to Millennials and Gen Z, and they are gravitating away from Facebook. They're mostly on Twitter and Instagram and such. Facebook is basically the territory of Boomers now, who were slow to adopt it and are slow to drop it.

I can't remember the last time I looked at a Yahoo Group. They were never something I got invested in. Honestly, you could tell me that they had already been deleted years ago, and I wouldn't have noticed. I'm still bummed that all of Japanese Geocities got wiped out a few months ago.
    Snapchat is really popular as well