Thread: Sonic Mania's Original Version to Receive a Physical Release in 2019

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Sonic Mania's Original Version to Receive a Physical Release in 2019

SEGA is releasing the original version of Sonic Mania physically to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Listings for all three appeared on GameStop’s website priced at $19.99 for a November 5, 2019 release (UPDATE: some stores are now carrying it). It does not appear that this release will have any bonuses, like an art book or a Mega Drive/Genesis reversible cover. The content from the Plus release is not on disc, though should be available as DLC at an additional price.

It’s possible SEGA is doing this to fill the void of no new Sonic game in stores this Christmas season, and is piggybacking off of the recently released Mega Drive/Genesis Mini. Mini consoles and a budget priced Sonic Mania would make for great holiday purchases. We’ll share more info as we hear it!

UPDATE: Readers have spotted this release at retail, specifically Walmart, priced at $19.93.
    I think this will be worth a significant amount of money in 20 years. So few copies will be sold thanks to a lot of contributing factors. This will result in there being only a few copies available for sale which collectors will pay a premium for in the future. Look at the prices of certain low-run items from the 1990's to see what I mean. Yes, some of them aren't the grandest games or the finest collector's items, but their rarity combined with their association with a popular or once-popular franchise makes their prices high now.

Source: http://segabits.com/blog/2019/10/17/...sical-release/

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I tried Sonic Mania. If anything it just made me want to go back and play the originals.

Someone made an unofficial Streets of Rage game with all the levels from 1-3 in it that kind of reminded me of this game

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nice price point. I don't know if it'll be worth more later on, considering everybody is looking for the future's high-value rarities these days (which means the ones that actually will end up pricey will be the ones that slip under everybody's noses), but I'm tempted to grab a copy regardless. I don't know which platform I'd want it on, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I don't see the point for this release a few weeks ago i pickup sonic mania plus so i'm good.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Nice price point.
    If only it was $19.91 then it would lits be the year Sonic came to be.