Thread: 2019 is shaping up to be the year of butchered classics

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default 2019 is shaping up to be the year of butchered classics

From recent memory:

Sonic the Movie (almost universally panned)

Streets of Rage 4 (mostly negative comments)

Battletoads 2019 (99.9% negative comments)

I wonder what other classics they will decide to bastardize next. Joe and Mac? Comix Zone? Rock and Roll Racing? it seems that some classics should not be touched by todays game developers who dont know what makes a quality game. people dont want flash style games with juvenile humor or hideous animations. it seems like the trend now is to bring these games into the modern day for the very young gamers and maybe that has to do with the fact that these developers have kids themselves. I dont know if kids are going to latch onto these remakes but my God what a way to turn off the fans

I would be happy with a 16:9 Battletoads with save points in between each level and new levels, but same graphics and gameplay as the original. something along the lines of Mega Man 9. one of the few modern takes on retro classics that did it right

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

it amazes me with instant feedback and fan input they can still put out a title that is universally panned. at least the Sonic movie director listened to the criticism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Don't see how,SOR4 is consider a bad sequel when the game isn't even out yet.From what i've heard from the last playable demo from pax the response towards the game have been good.People that complain that SOR4 isn't using sprites need to get over it.You want sprites in you're beat'em up go indie and make you're own then

You want to see a butcher classic see what konami did with contra rouge corps.Clearly they didn't try hard enough or konami forgot how to make contra proper.Really they should just sell there ips if they don't how to continue them,heck the latest castlevania is mobile only.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 11-10-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    You want sprites in you're beat'em up go indie and make you're own then
    That's what Streets of Rage Remake was. Too bad it got shut down.

As long as the legacy of Bubsy isn't tainted I think we'll be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    That's what Streets of Rage Remake was. Too bad it got shut down.

As long as the legacy of Bubsy isn't tainted I think we'll be fine.
    Yeah i've heard of the sor fan remake to bad sega couldn't have endorse it.Though when,arc system works let wayfoward make river city girls as part of the kunio-kun series they did go all out on using sprites.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Don't see how,SOR4 is consider a bad sequel when the game isn't even out yet.From what i've heard from the last playable demo from pax the response towards the game have been good.People that complain that SOR4 isn't using sprites need to get over it.You want sprites in you're beat'em up go indie and make you're own then

You want to see a butcher classic see what konami did with contra rouge corps.Clearly they didn't try hard enough or konami forgot how to make contra proper.Really they should just sell there ips if they don't how to continue them,heck the latest castlevania is mobile only.
    I iust dont like the flash look of these games. it looks cheap and dated. and honestly the sound effects in these retro sequels seem to be off in most cases.

incompetent game developers who are trying to capitalize on the retro craze

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Revivals have always and probably will always be a mixed bag. 2019 has seen some good ones too, like Trials of Mana and Romancing SaGa 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I iust dont like the flash look of these games. it looks cheap and dated. and honestly the sound effects in these retro sequels seem to be off in most cases.

incompetent game developers who are trying to capitalize on the retro craze
    I'm just sick of hearing the same complaint over and over again when sprites are not used.You seem to think if 2.5D animation is used either polygons,cell shading or flash animation then the game is ruined period.It's not all ways case,lizardcube who are behind animation&development for the remake of wonderboy the dragons trap did good by that game.Since they are involved with SOR4 i don't mind the style of animation they are using.Yes i miss the sprites as well but for modern video games it's not all ways feasible it takes time and money to produce it.I remember when snk announced the latest samurai shodown and there was that knee jerk reaction,because it's animation was similar to SFV.Yet by the time samurai shodown came out it's concern wasn't a big deal since fans enjoyed it's game play.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Lizardcube did an amazing Job remaking The Dragon's Trap. SOR4 will be fine. People are just whining because of the art style. The game looks great. Some morons say it's flash. No it's hand drawn but they are too busy hating on something rather than look it up.

Also 2019 is not a year of butchered classics. Fans have responded well to the beta of Shenmue III. Fans of Medievil like me are happy with the remake. Vasara collection turned out well. We got a true return to form DMC game that is amazing. A great HD remaster of Metal Wolf Chaos. A really good (for mecha fans anyway) successor to Armored Core in DXM from AC3 staff. Bloodtained is a great successor to Castlevania. I found MUA3 to be the best in the MUA series. We got Trials of Mana. A truly great remake of Ninja Warriors Again. A great port of Tales of Vesperia. Xeno Crisis is a great Smash TV successor. Samurai Showdown is a great return for the series.
    Blazing Chrome is the best Contra game in ages. Game Tenoku got a remaster on PS4.

There is more but there is a ton of great remasters. Successors and sequels and remakes this year. Last year as well.
    Last edited by Ryudo; 11-11-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Lizardcube did an amazing Job remaking The Dragon's Trap. SOR4 will be fine. People are just whining because of the art style. The game looks great. Some morons say it's flash. No it's hand drawn but they are too busy hating on something rather than look it up.

Also 2019 is not a year of butchered classics. Fans have responded well to the beta of Shenmue III. Fans of Medievil like me are happy with the remake. Vasara collection turned out well. We got a true return to form DMC game that is amazing. A great HD remaster of Metal Wolf Chaos. A really good (for mecha fans anyway) successor to Armored Core in DXM from AC3 staff. Bloodtained is a great successor to Castlevania. I found MUA3 to be the best in the MUA series. We got Trials of Mana. A truly great remake of Ninja Warriors Again. A great port of Tales of Vesperia. Xeno Crisis is a great Smash TV successor. Samurai Showdown is a great return for the series.
    Blazing Chrome is the best Contra game in ages. Game Tenoku got a remaster on PS4.

There is more but there is a ton of great remasters. Successors and sequels and remakes this year. Last year as well.
    lol not sure why I am a moron for saying the graphics reminded me of cheap internet flash based games but whatever. to each his own. its a controversial art style, you cant argue that fact. and I have yet to see any data that points to a correlation between IQ level and visual preferences

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed Ryudo meant people who are saying it's literally flash, not that it just looks similar to flash.

Like the people who say Kemco RPGs looks like RPG Maker games versus those who say they are RPG Maker games. The former have a point; the latter don't know what they're talking about.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed Ryudo meant people who are saying it's literally flash, not that it just looks similar to flash.

Like the people who say Kemco RPGs looks like RPG Maker games versus those who say they are RPG Maker games. The former have a point; the latter don't know what they're talking about.
    oh so its ok to call people morons as long as theyre not forum members. got it. hard to keep up with the rules around here sometimes

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

1) I was giving my opinion, not speaking on behalf of the staff and the forum's rules and policies.

2) If a user is given a warning or infraction for something they've said, that's between the staff and the user receiving it. It will not be posted publicly, and third parties will not be made privy to it.

3) Anyone confused by the forum's rules should reread the FAQ: https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/faq.php?faq=basics

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

He's on ignore so outside of the first post I didn't see his other posts. It was not directed at any particular person here. If I am going to call someone out. Trust me I would call them by name directly. Yes, I have seen people call the game a flash game. Some posts on other places said it belongs on Newgrounds. It's like when people called Wind Waker. Celda. It's dumb and childish. If you don't like an art style fine. Just purposefully demeaning someone's hard work for something they have great intentions for is not fair and it is moronic. You can say it's ugly. You can say you hate it. That's fine, you're entitled to that opinion. But saying its flash is saying it's low effort. That is bullshit. It's very much not low effort.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    He's on ignore so outside of the first post I didn't see his other posts. It was not directed at any particular person here. If I am going to call someone out. Trust me I would call them by name directly. Yes, I have seen people call the game a flash game. Some posts on other places said it belongs on Newgrounds. It's like when people called Wind Waker. Celda. It's dumb and childish. If you don't like an art style fine. Just purposefully demeaning someone's hard work for something they have great intentions for is not fair and it is moronic. You can say it's ugly. You can say you hate it. That's fine, you're entitled to that opinion. But saying its flash is saying it's low effort. That is bullshit. It's very much not low effort.
    Well whatever someone outside of this forum said that you found to be moronic, maybe its more appropriate to take it up directly with them as opposed to directing your insults here. If someone walks up to the Mona Lisa and says "it looks like a child drew that" its a lot different than saying "a child drew that" so Id appreciate it if you keep the name calling out of here when I never once stated false information nor did anyone else.