Thread: What do you think of new games released on dead consoles?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default What do you think of new games released on dead consoles?

Im sure this topic has been asked before in the 15 year history of this forum and it may get merged so this topic starter may get lost in a sea of other comments when that happens but...

while I do appreciate the efforts to keep games going on Jaguar, Dreamcast, Genesis, I havent seen anything of the caliber that id actually want to play. The exception to this is Slave for the Dreamcast which I still have a deposit on.

Generally speaking I dont see the level of attention to detail and care put into these games or the packages that usually are a result of finite resources and money. Id much rather spend my money on some games I havent played on retro consoles that actually have great box art, full manual, non-broken gameplay, etc

the last one I did was 40 Winks on the N64 and I know it doesnt fit the same category but the game plays like a broken Banjo Kazooie and the packaging was awful. Piko really needs to step their game up.

Sydney Hunter looks quite good actually but as I am typing this I am not sure what format its on

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

and follow up question- what are some of the better "released after console death" titles that come to your mind?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If you're talking about homebrew it's neat though i only a have a few games out of it.It's one way to get more use out a console i see homebrew can be very active for the 2600 after picking up one again i did order draconian.I though i all ways wanted to get into it for the neo-geo,for what ngdev team offers but it's very expensive period.Still this is all i have for homebrew currently.

Dreamcast
    Gunlord
    Strumwind

Genesis
    Pier Solar

TG16
    Mysterious Songs

Currently the only other homebrew i like to pickup is xenocrisis for the genesis.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5plBroywh0

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron 2.0 For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (11-16-2019), WelcomeToTheNextLevel (11-16-2019)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I think it's cool and interesting. My favorite ones are the ones that really push system hardware, for instance Princess Rescue on the Atari 2600.

There can be some ambiguity on recently discontinued consoles, for instance the games released on the Dreamcast between mid-2002 and 2007. At that time, there were new "official" releases coming out in Japan, while homebrew releases were also coming out. Personally, I would say anything after May 3, 2002 would be considered for a "dead console" for Dreamcast, as that's when PAL (European) releases ended and it's within 3 months of when the last USA release was (February 14, 2002). I like to have a solid "dividing line" so I can make sense of games released on a dead console vs. a commercially viable one. Personally, I'd say once a year has gone by between "commercially licensed" releases and the console itself is discontinued, it's considered a "dead console" and is in that "afterlife" where it's competing in the classic arena, not against current-gen consoles.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.