Thread: Why is a loose Super Mario/Duck Hunt worth close to $10 now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default Why is a loose Super Mario/Duck Hunt worth close to $10 now?

...And a lot of super common NES games?

Back in the late 2000s, if you paid a buck for a loose SMB/Duck Hunt cart, you overpaid. The idea of such a common cartridge with production numbers in the tens of millions going for even $5 was crazy. Other stuff like SMB 3 was dirt cheap too. Check out this comment from March 1, 2008, it implies that SMB 3 was going for about $2 at the time. (https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...46#post1331546). It's quadrupled in value in a little over 10 years. Price Charting says the average NES game was about $6 in 2008-2009. (https://www.pricecharting.com/console/nes). Now, only the cheapest games are around that price. What happened to the $2 or less NES game?
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not sure how we can hammer down an exact secondhand value for 20+ year old games. Typical ranges, sure, but the exact dollar amount will vary from seller to seller. I spent $3 for a Super Mario Bros. 3 cart in 1999.

Retro game collecting has gotten more popular, more sellers are aware that retro game collecting exists and want to take advantage of that fact, social media hypes up people on old games, and people who had the NES as kids have gotten old enough to get nostalgic about their childhoods and land decent, stable jobs that allow them to collect. I think that about sums up why NES games are more expensive than they used to be. And most collectors find that finds in the wild have dried up, leaving more people stuck turning to online marketplaces.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (11-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    Check out this comment from March 1, 2008, it implies that SMB 3 was going for about $2 at the time.
    I don't know about that, I remember regularly selling SMB 3 and other loose NES games for around $15 on eBay back then. A quick check on eBay now shows it selling for around the same or less.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

its basically been covered already but ultimately its just supply and demand. The economy is booming and there is actual interest in retro gaming now much moreso than 15 years ago. a lot of it I feel has to do with eBay though. because of shipping costs and seller fees, its rare to see a game for less than 3 dollars anywhere. i feel if eBay didnt exist, prices for games would be significantly cheaper albeit hard to find

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

$10 still isn't that bad considering that the games are actually good ones to play, I'm glad it isn't a $20 cart now. I remember game stores asking $15-$20 for Super Mario/Duck Hunt even back then, it was savvy collectors that avoided it at those prices but people who didn't know any better still paid that much back then at game stores.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've been hitting flea markets for games since probably around my DP inception date. Back then, I could leisurely get to a flea at 10am and find cheap/good games. I took a break for awhile from fleas, but hit them pretty heavy this past summer. You have to get there at 5 am or earlier and keep walking in circles in hopes someone puts out some games for good prices. Once they do, there are likely 3-4 other people there for the same thing waiting and you then have to grab the stuff as quickly as you can, because I have had someone come up behind me and start making offers on stuff I was holding. IF you can find anything older than PS2, you have to be at the exact right spot at the right time and make your deal as quickly as possible. Then you have to hope that the regular buyers don't have some kind of deal worked out with the regular sellers where they get first dibs on their games in the morning or something. That being said, the effort put in to find that SMB/DH cart for $2 now is much much harder than it used to be. Also mentioned previously, there are much much less people clearing their games out of the basement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

I have taken noticed of the price range being much higher these past couple of years with retro gaming being more mainstream. The hunt for rare treasures are becoming more scarce, and thankfully, I did all my collecting years ago. I still keep an eye out for good deals, just not as active like I used to

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.