Thread: Game series that peaked with their first game vs. game series where the first game wasn't nearly as good as later ones

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default Game series that peaked with their first game vs. game series where the first game wasn't nearly as good as later ones

When I think of a series that peaked with its first game, I think immediately of Jak and Daxter. The first game was an easy to pick up and play platformer with bright and inviting levels and is still one of my favorite games ever. The later games took a dark turn. Perhaps that's why we don't hear from Jak anymore.

Most successful series go the other route, where game 1 often falls far short of the best game in the series. In an ideal series, game 1 would be the worst as games improved on one another each time. Super Mario Bros. is a fine game, but it pales in comparison to SMB 3. It's amazing how much they were able to cram into SMB 3 and how primitive 1 looks in comparison. SMB 3 just feels so much more fleshed out, so much more substantial. Super Mario would go on to maintain that high standard through future games. While Super Mario 64 was the first 3D game in the series, in my opinion it was the best of all. But then again, being born in 1992 may have something to do with that opinion.

Sonic the Hedgehog is another prime example. Rerez put it perfectly: Sonic is slow in Sonic 1 compared to later Sonic games. Sonic 2, on the other hand, is a masterpiece. Marble Zone just didn't work out (despite the kick ass music) and Sonic 2 had much more of an emphasis on speed. I feel like Sonic didn't do the 3D transition very well, the 2D games are the best, but at least in its early years Sonic was improving. I personally enjoy playing Sonic 2 more than any other Sonic, but they did continue to introduce good ideas into the series with 3 and Knuckles. The save system from 3 is something that they should have had all along, I like the graphical style in 3 and Knuckles more, and I always enjoyed playing with Knuckles in the Sonic 2 and 3 levels. It wasn't until 3D Blast that the main Sonic series went downhill.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Some random examples I thought of (kinda in a hurry or I would say more).

For me, Warcraft II is the best game in that series. Warcraft I showed promise but has an uncomfortable control layout (though you can get used to it) and balance issues, like how the summoned monsters basically break the game. While III radically changes how the game works. And I don't care about WoW.

I honestly thought the very first Bubsy was alright. Not great but hardly terrible. Bubsy II though? That was a slog.

I'm tempted to talk about Adventures of Lolo (although America never actually got the FIRST game in the series). Part of me also wants to bring up Ultima. But that'll be later.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Some games that are first in their series and I also think they're the best in their series (though I might still think the later games are very good):

Chrono Trigger
    Blaster Master
    StarTropics
    Tail Concerto
    Mega Man Legends (first in the sub-series, at least)
    ActRaiser
    Valkyrie Profile

I'm coming up with fewer of these than I expected, actually. I feel like I often buck the trend of thinking the latest game in a series is the best yet, but in many cases, I haven't played every last game in a series. I know I like Pikmin more than Pikmin 2, but I've yet to play Pikmin 3 or the handheld game. I know I like Katamari Damacy more than later Katamari games I've played, but I haven't played them all (mostly it's the mobile ones I haven't). So I can't honestly say I like the first best in those cases, even though I may suspect it would be the case if I played them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I'd say:

Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2 - I personally feel that the series peaked in #2, but some may feel that the first game was the peak as you actually get to play as Donkey Kong and it made the biggest impact from an industry perspective. However, I think everyone can agree that either is better than #3 (OK - I'm sure some folks like 3, but it's really not my cup of tea compared to 1 and 2 - It just looks, feels, and sounds different and all not in a good way).

As for another that peaked with the first game, you can look at something less notable like Die Hard Trilogy (which I personally love and gets kudos for actually being based on the only 3 Die Hard movies that matter) then there is Die Hard Trilogy 2 which a lame cash-in based on no movies and I fart in it's general direction.

Also, as far as 3D Mario platformers, I haven't played Odyssey, but I feel that Super Mario 64 is still tops despite some less than perfect camera angles (but then again, I'm someone who thinks Super Mario 3D Land/Super Mario 3D World are better games than the galaxy games).

Also, if we're delving into opinion - and why wouldn't we be, I agree the in the main-line side scrolling Super Mario Bros series, SMB3 is tops. I really do like SMW, but SMB3 pushed the NES and was a amazing. Same with Sonic 2 > Sonic 1. It's just a fact Additionally, I think Final Fantasy peaked at FF III/VI and that FF VII, while "prettier" was not better - and this is coming from someone who didn't play FF III/VI until after FF VII.

So, I think when you get down to it, it's probably close to 50/50 regarding game series that peak on their first outing compared to those who peak later, but very rarely do you have a series peak on the last game released (which - in our consumer driven society - make perfect economic sense).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Resident Evil

Ridge Racer

OutRun

Twisted Metal

Track and Field

Cruisn USA

it wouldnt bother me if none of those games had ever gotten a sequel. though I do like RE2 a lot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I was thinking of the first metal slug short and simple run'n'gun that holds up still but in some ways,it's sequels did out do it.Such as metal slug x and metal slug 3.Though after part three snk was never able to recapture the magic of the first three games in the series.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 11-20-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm thinking Tetris, not counting the various ports of the game as several ports were better or more popular than the original release. Just that none of the sequels were better than the original. Maybe Q*Bert as I don't remember the sequels being better, though I haven't played the updated PS1 version.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Resident Evil

Ridge Racer

OutRun

Twisted Metal

Track and Field

Cruisn USA

it wouldnt bother me if none of those games had ever gotten a sequel. though I do like RE2 a lot
    I would agree with the exception of Twisted Metal. The original Twisted Metal was good, but the series peaked with Twisted Metal 2. The graphics, gameplay, sound - everything got better. Then, when the SingleTrac/Sony relationship fell apart, the series just bogged down after that.