Thread: Y's

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Y's

Any fans of Y's? I just finished the Y's 1 chronicles remake on mobile, going through 2 now. Earlier this year finished SNES 3 and 4 (translated). Haven;t played any the other remakes yet and still have the ps2 game sitting around. lol
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've bought a bunch of them, but I've only played through the first two so far, via Legacy of Ys on DS. Diehard Ys fans seem to pooh-pooh those versions, but I had fun with them. I haven't yet decided which should be my next Ys game. I don't have any of the original versions of Ys III, so I don't know if I want to track down a copy, or if I should just play the Oath in Felghana remake I already have. They're so different I should probably play both. I also have Ys Origin, so maybe I should go with that before any version of the third game.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

never played them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I've played plenty,in the ys series i been long time fan of the series going back to the TG16 version of ys 1&2.Last one id played was ys origin via PS4.I still haven't gotten around to Ys 8 wish i had bought a copy of the game when it was new.Now Ys 8 has gone out of print since,nisa sold copies of it for a short amount of time unless i buy the game digitally By the way if you're that curious to play the original Ys III either go with the TG16 version or Genesis and skip the SNES one it's broken.Also Ys 9 is out in japan all ready but there's no release date for the u.s yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w2zWTOGXwA

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'm excited for Y's on the TG16 classic too!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Ys not Y's. Eace.

One of my fave series and Ys1 is my fave game ever made. PSP/Steam version is great but TG16 version is the best.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I am a fan of the series. I own a lot of the games that made it to the states. I also did get reproductions of YS IV and YS for the Super Famicom. I also did get Nes reproductions of the first 3 YS games.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I always hated the "bump fighting" in the first Ys games, and wasn't able to get into any of them until the PSP. I played all the way through Ys VII, and loved every minute of it. Ys VIII on the Vita was also fantastic, though I only managed to get about 25% of the way in before I got distracted. I keep meaning to try out some of the middle games in the series, but just haven't found the time.

--Zero

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ys1 and 2 are good because the progression and the world design but I also don't care for the bump mechanic. The PSP games look amazing, but the problem with them is they are zoomed in a bit from the TG16CD version.

The third game is charming but it's garbage.

I didn't really get into the series though until the sixth game and the series at that point became its best imo. Oath in Felghana remakes the third game even better than the Ys6, Ys Origin is even better than Oath in Felghana. I will say that I actually don't care for Ys7 as much as those, although Ys7 is good. It's Ys4's remake, Memories of Celceta that takes Ys7 concept and makes it worse imo. The lack of platforming on 7 makes the game worse than the previous 3D games, but with the massive world with the constant rolling to get anywhere even remotely quick, the not so memorable bosses, etc. Yes, Memories of Celceta is good, but just a bit disappointing.

Ys8 though expands further on that style though. It brings back platforming, it brings back the verticality the series has lost since the seventh game. It removes the more open world from Celceta and changes it back to the way it's been in all of the past games where it's all about the linear but expansive areas with a larger focus on exploration. The game is amazing and easily one of my favorite games this gen. The game is also pretty large as well, being around 40 hours and not a long game like an Ubisoft game, but long because it's got just that many areas to progress through. I liked this game so much that I platinumed the game.

Another plus is how good the music is. Every game has excellent music, something that is consistent with Falcom games honestly.

Ys9 is a day one purchase.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I have the TG16 versions of Ys 1-4 (3 and 4 in Japanese unfortunately). I used to have the Sega Master System version of Ys 1 but sold it because I didn't see the point when the TG16 ver was more my style (well, that and I needed cash at the time). You can't go wrong with this series, at least none of the ones that I've played. I never did get to play any of the ones after Ys IV tho...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

The Sega Master System cartridge is labeled as Y's, but the box says Ys: The Vanished Omens.

I have a copy, I got it in around 2007. Y is my favorite letter of the alphabet and the Master System was my favorite classic console at the time. I still love that thing.

I was slightly disappointed when I found out it was pronounced as "Eece". I like to pronounce it as "Y's", the same as in the sentence "Syzygy has 3 y's in it."

I don't know how much I'd actually enjoy playing it, never fired it up for some reason. Though I do prefer 3D RPGs to 2D RPGs so maybe something like Ys 6 would be a good one for me.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've always pronounced it more like "ease" than "peace" without the "p", but I'm kind of a lazy talker and find the latter takes more effort to enunciate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (11-29-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I have the TG16 versions of Ys 1-4 (3 and 4 in Japanese unfortunately). I used to have the Sega Master System version of Ys 1 but sold it because I didn't see the point when the TG16 ver was more my style (well, that and I needed cash at the time). You can't go wrong with this series, at least none of the ones that I've played. I never did get to play any of the ones after Ys IV tho...
    3 came out in the US. I got mine when it was new, and still have it.