Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 😎My FIRST PLAYSTATION 3 !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default 😎My FIRST PLAYSTATION 3 !

If all goes as planned within a couple weeks I will be getting my first ever PlayStation 3, a slim series model with Custom Firmware even. I had the OG PlayStation and PS2 and loved them but was put off of PS3 launch price and somehow it just slipped by me since. I won this one in a contest though much to my surprise, not sure what I can do with the Jailbreak custom firmware besides load games to hard drive, I've no interest in online play with others or if I need and PSN account to do anything with it or what is risk of messing up the custom firmware etc? All new to me, I watched a video on the process of how it was modded, frankly not hard but many tedious steps involved, now I just want to get the most out of it but it's all new to me. Anyway I intend to research and learn as much as I can, might post back here in a thread for help or suggestions once I have received and set it up. 🍻
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Congrats on winning one! I'm in a similar boat. I've gotten every other Sony system while they were current gen, but I never picked up a PS3 while it was alive and still haven't done so, despite building up a small collection of PS3 games. I'll have to grab one sooner or later. It's a shame the PS4 isn't backwards compatible.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (12-15-2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I bought one from Circuit City in 07/08. I returned it shortly thereafter because there werent enough games I wanted to play and couldnt deal with the load times and install times

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I bought one from Circuit City in 07/08. I returned it shortly thereafter because there werent enough games I wanted to play and couldnt deal with the load times and install times
    Wow, Circuit City, that takes me back. A recession victim.

I got my PS3 for Christmas in 2006, it was the original model that was backward compatible with all PS1 and PS2 games. Mine was the 60 GB bundle. Although it seems like it would be the ultimate PS3, the slim and super slim models are more reliable and have a bigger hard drive. Anyway the PS3 got a lot of good games in its lifetime, should be a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WelcomeToTheNextLevel For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Congrats on getting one soon OSG.As for psn it's only needed if you want to play online or buy games digitally.By the way online play is free.Currently though,games for it on the second hand are dirt cheap at this point.I still have a 60GB model but it died years ago from ylod.All i use now is a super slim but mostly for netflik and youtube.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 12-14-2019 at 12:20 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tron 2.0 For This Useful Post:

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Alright, let's break this into several sections, it's quite hard to understand which PS3 is the best x worst to get.

First of all, you need to know if you absolutely need to run PS2 games on it with the most compatibility possible. If that's one of your goals you have 4 models to buy:

CECHA/CECHB, which have ALL the PS2 hardware inside (CPU/GPU/RAM/Bridge)
    CECHC/CECHE, which have only the PS2 GPU inside (as a cost reduction measure)

Games will run from original PS2 disc on those models, you just insert the PS2 game and it'll read and run as if it was a PS2. You'll be able to use the Suxaxis/DualShock3 wireless controllers.

HOWEVER those early PS3 suffer from the YLOD (Yellow Light of Death) syndrome, which in the past everybody and it's dog would tell you to "reflow/reball" the CPU and GPU, but that's not the case anymore. The YLOD is caused due to overheating, yes, but mostly by the shitty NEC TOKIN capacitors.

All PS3 after the CECHE will have only two USB ports in the front, no Card reader, and NO PS2 hardware. PS2 games will run via emulation, and will not run from original disc. You'll have to buy digital versions from Sony, and they do not run too bad, but it's not perfect.

So to make it short: you want to run PS2 games with maximum compatibility, maximum fidelity to original, buy a CECHA/CECHB PS3. You don't want to run original PS2 games, and don't want problems with overheating, buy the latest PS3, the Superslim.

NOW another thing to consider: Running 'backups', pir8ed games, homebrews:
    You have basically 2 methods: on older PS3s, you can have the CFW, which removes Sony's consumer version of PS3 Firmware, and replaces it with the firmware found on Debug PS3s. That way you can run games from all regions, can basically do whatever you want with your PS3. You can fully install games on HDD (and never use the physical disc ever again, even for PS2, even for PS1 games), you can run emulators, media players, etc.

The second method of "jailbreaking" your PS3 is using a HFW (Hybrid Firmware), which will patch the consumer firmware and adding the jailbreaking stuff on top of it. Not as compatible, doesn't do everything that the CFW can do but will work on ALL PS3 models.

So my reccomendations are:
    1) You want to run PS2 games and backups: find a CECHA
    2) You want to run orignal PS3 games only: find a Superslim
    3) You want to run backups/homebrew, but don't care about PS2: find a Slim model 2100 (because the first 2000s Slims have the NEC TOKIN that plague the Fat PS3).

Now about the elephant in the room: the absurdly high failure rate for FAT PS3s:
    As I said, they are not caused (only) because of the overheating: 95% of the times, it's caused by the NEC TOKIN capacitors, 8 in the CECHA/CECHB/CECHC/CECHE. All of them have to be replaced by standard SMD capacitors, each NEC TOKIN replaced by 4 standard SMD capacitors. This is very time consuming, but there are people around that do that. I have a working CECHA, and I still have to do this on it.

Also, to take care of the overheating, look for something called DELID.

Sony GLUED an aluminium block on top of the CPU/GPU on the PS3, and over time, the thermal paste gets dry, like any other thermal paste. So you have to remove this lid on top of both processors, clean it up, and then replace the thermal paste with a new one (nowadays with much higher quality than Sony's).

By doing the NEC TOKIN capacitor replacement, plus doing the DELID, it's guaranteed that your PS3 will last forever. And by adding the jailbreak method using CFW, you can have a much more precise control of the temperatures inside the console, thus making your PS3 live longer.

Feel free to ask me about all of this. I went quite ballistic about the PS3 a few months ago, and ended up with 7...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amazin For This Useful Post:

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I wonder if a CECHA with the NEC capacitors replaced and DELID and a larger hard drive would be the ultimate PS3? Because it would have PS2 hardware and the hard drive size that a Superslim might have, and the reliability problems fixed.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WelcomeToTheNextLevel For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (12-21-2019)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I bought my PS3 at launch, but because I didn't have any interest in a lot of the games during the release it was about two years before I actually played any PS3 games. As a platforming and JRPG fan, I had to play completely different genres to continue gaming.

You stated you'll post for suggestions, but I'm going to throw out one. Don't buy White Knight Chronicles, I'm not stating this because I didn't like it, it's actually a good game despite the bad reviews and when it actually was playable online it actually had thousands of people online before they shut the servers down. The reason I'm mentioning the game though is because White Knight Chronicles 2 includes the first game as well as the second plus all the quality of life improvements, no reason to buy the first game in that case.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kupomogli For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (12-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I bought my first PS3 a couple of weeks ago. I started hitting up game stores that had a "buy 2 games under $9.99 get one free" sale, and since the common games are now around $4.99 there I managed to build up a huge amount of titles really cheap. Here's the thing, though... it seems like PS3 games don't often tell you outright that they're online only. The Xbox 360's counterpart says right on the cover "online only". I bought Destiny and Destiny: The Taken King, got them home, and found out they wouldn't play. I saw the 360 version had the "online only" badge right on the front whereas the PS3 version has that in smallish print under the "T for Teen" rating. I have no interest in going online with the console, so this is very annoying. What I'm asking is, what games can only be played online? Which titles don't have a single-player campaign? This would really help me out in my game hunting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I bought my first PS3 a couple of weeks ago. I started hitting up game stores that had a "buy 2 games under $9.99 get one free" sale, and since the common games are now around $4.99 there I managed to build up a huge amount of titles really cheap. Here's the thing, though... it seems like PS3 games don't often tell you outright that they're online only. The Xbox 360's counterpart says right on the cover "online only". I bought Destiny and Destiny: The Taken King, got them home, and found out they wouldn't play. I saw the 360 version had the "online only" badge right on the front whereas the PS3 version has that in smallish print under the "T for Teen" rating. I have no interest in going online with the console, so this is very annoying. What I'm asking is, what games can only be played online? Which titles don't have a single-player campaign? This would really help me out in my game hunting.
    Well, Destiny the Taken King is the base Destiny game with an online voucher, so both games are essentially the same, that being said. There isn't much at all that's online only on the PS3 outside of Final Fantasy 14 and Destiny. I can't think of anything actually so you're good purchasing pretty much anything else. However, I would say to avoid the original Diablo 3 and get Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls which has some major changes to the game on the disc itself. Just remember that there's Diablo 3 Eternal which is pretty much the final version on the latest consoles only, not PS3, only on disc in the US, PAL versions requires an update. Another game to make sure to avoid is Ninja Gaiden 3 and only purchase Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge if you do plan on getting the title at all, as the difference between the two is either using the Dragon Sword exclusively or using all of the weapons seen in Ninja Gaiden 2, either way it's not a very good game, the first two are good though. Then there's XCOM Enemy Within which is essentially XCOM Enemy Unknown with a major expansion pack added to the core game. Other than those, games like Oblivion Game of the Year Edition, Skyrim Game of the Year Edition, Dragon Age Origins Game of the Year Edition, etc, are the only other games I can think of that has a second version with major updates in the way the game plays or the amount of content is offers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kupomogli For This Useful Post:

Steve W (02-26-2020)

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I bought my first PS3 when i got fired from a job, it was an earlier slim model with killzone packed in.
    Talk about a game i just couldnt get into. I waited on the PS3 because i saw the Fats cropping up with problems. I have several backwards compatible fat PS3's now, all of them are YLODs... someday i might fix them

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (02-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

All I have interest in playing at the moment is Unreal Tournament III. The original Unreal Tournament was one of the handful of indispensible Dreamcast games that were next to the console ready to go. I would just play the Capture The Flag games after setting it to Low Gravity and set the bots to Novice. I would fly around the arenas Matrix-style splattering bots left and right with a rocket launcher. A great way to unwind after work. Happy times.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve W For This Useful Post:

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've been thinking of getting a PS3 lately so I can finally play Demon's Souls and Metal Gear Solid 4 (plus possibly the HD Collection version of Peace Walker even tho I have it on PSP). But I'm just curious if there's any headaches I would have to deal with were I to buy it now?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmond Dantes For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I've been thinking of getting a PS3 lately so I can finally play Demon's Souls and Metal Gear Solid 4 (plus possibly the HD Collection version of Peace Walker even tho I have it on PSP). But I'm just curious if there's any headaches I would have to deal with were I to buy it now?
    Few years ago i bought the "metal gear solid legacy collection for PS3" on amazon,cost me about $29.99 new.Prices have really gone up for new copies unless you want it cheap buy it used then.Currently $20.00 plus on amazon but i don't know if it's cheaper on ebay.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Tron 2.0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Imo, the biggest headache of owning a PS3 is that so many games are ported over to the PS4. I exaggerate, but there really are a lot. If at all possible, I'd recommend to see if the games are later released on the PS4 or XBO so you don't later purchase the game yet again on a more powerful system. Even with that, the PS3 still has a lot of games worth owning that can't be purchased on later consoles... outside of PC of course. Example. I own more than 110 PS3 games, on my list of games I know I'm missing some, but there are many that are released on the PS4, only 79 of them aren't on the PS4. Three Atelier games in that 79 are on the Switch. There are also other games that I own but didn't have on my PS3 list that are also on PS4.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kupomogli For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Outside of winning or being given a PS4 it is unlikely I will ever own one so I plan to make good use of this PS3! On that note, the other day I received The Last of Us and Max Payne 3 retail games from a friend so I am definitely looking forward to digging into those when I can set aside some PS3 playing time!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Imo, the biggest headache of owning a PS3 is that so many games are ported over to the PS4. I exaggerate, but there really are a lot. If at all possible, I'd recommend to see if the games are later released on the PS4 or XBO so you don't later purchase the game yet again on a more powerful system.
    Tho in this case, I would need to purchase a PS4 or XBO as well...

Sadly, it seems like Demon's Souls is the one game in the Soulsborne series to remain locked behind previous gen. Metal Gear Solid 4 I could see potentially getting re-released, but probably not anytime soon since Konami and Hideo Kojima had that big falling out.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmond Dantes For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (02-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Tho in this case, I would need to purchase a PS4 or XBO as well...

Sadly, it seems like Demon's Souls is the one game in the Soulsborne series to remain locked behind previous gen. Metal Gear Solid 4 I could see potentially getting re-released, but probably not anytime soon since Konami and Hideo Kojima had that big falling out.
    Depends on when you buy a PS4 really, it's also not every game and most may never come to the system. As cheap as many of them may be, it wouldn't be much of a loss atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Outside of winning or being given a PS4 it is unlikely I will ever own one so I plan to make good use of this PS3! On that note, the other day I received The Last of Us and Max Payne 3 retail games from a friend so I am definitely looking forward to digging into those when I can set aside some PS3 playing time!
    The Last of Us deserves the high praise it gets. There's very few sections in the game that are really poorly and infuriatingly designed, a Naughty Dog staple it seems, but if you ever get to one of those sections, I'd say it's worth pushing past. Just remember it's a stealth game more than a shooter, and if you want the best experience, the harder difficulties don't have the see enemies through walls gameplay mechanic and there's less ammo that drops when you kill someone. The game tends to drop ammo the less you have though, so if you are stingy with ammo the game won't drop any, if you're usually out of it all the time the game will be a bit more generous.

If you like Max Payne 3, I'd really recommend checking out Stranglehold. If you have a 360 I'd recommend getting the collector's edition for that system, if not then I'd say go with the collector's edition for the PS3. It's the same size as a regular game, but there's an added bonus. The 360 version collector's edition includes a copy of the movie Hard-Boiled as a DVD, while the PS3 version includes it on disc, only accessible in the main menu through a PS4, cannot be watched as a Bluray. Now of course, you could always get the non collector's edition and buy the DVD/Bluray separately, but having a combination of the two together is pretty cool.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-27-2020 at 10:18 AM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to kupomogli For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (02-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. FYI yeah I am having a blast with the PS3 especially in light of finally getting some time to try out and test some features of this modded PS3, I posted elsewhere but will share here:

Installed and updated LAST OF US and Max Payne 3 onto my modded PS3 Hard drive (Thanks JAKE !) and after watching a tutorial video on Youtube I successfully transferred the game Silent Hill Homecoming (I had previously been playing it on PC in an PS3 emulator, playable but not idea with my PC specs) from USB stick to the PS3 HDD, everything running and working great! That will keep me going for sometime! After just starting the first level of Max Payne 3 it is clear I am going to have to get use to the controls, my reflexes are not what they use to be! So it seems a modded PS3 is indeed and wonderful thing to have.

HERE is a quick picture I took transferring a original retail game to the internal PS3 Hard drive, took like 45 min but I guess copying 40 gb from a BluRay is going to be like that. Well worth the end result though as the game installed and I was even able to update it once it was on the internal drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87721006_10158383030588109_1206250648937431040_o.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	10715

A modded PS3 is indeed a wonderful thing!
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

if what the news says is true it wouldnt be a big deal to skip PS4 if the PS5 is truly backwards compatible