Thread: Microsoft tries to out-stupid itself and names its new console "Xbox Series X"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Microsoft tries to out-stupid itself and names its new console "Xbox Series X"

Yep that's right. If you thought Xbox One would make things confusing, Microsoft tries to astound us even further by naming its console which will be released in 2020 the "Xbox Series X."

https://youtu.be/8TWSVWhy08s

I tried to think of a name that could be more confusing and I figured the only way itd have been worse would be if they had called it "Original Xbox" or "Xbox Original"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Xbox Series X? Really?

Sony's naming scheme is perfect. Boring, but perfect. Playstation 1. Playstation 2. Playstation 3. Playstation 4. Playstation 5 coming up.

Nintendo's names are pretty good too (except for Wii U).

I figure it's kind of hard to go from Xbox One. Where do you go? Xbox Two? That would still be better than Xbox Series X. That makes it sound like an upgrade or something, not a new console. At least Xbox Two would be consistent.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

What's next? Naming the 9th version of an operating system 10???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    The original Wii got a bunch of phallic slack too.

Maybe Microsoft will name their next console the Xbox 18.97366596².
    Last edited by fluid_matrix; 12-14-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Xbox Series Xbox. That should have been the new name if not Xbox One 360.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The future of console gaming, also known as a small PC tower.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    Xbox Series X? Really?

Sony's naming scheme is perfect. Boring, but perfect. Playstation 1. Playstation 2. Playstation 3. Playstation 4. Playstation 5 coming up.

I figure it's kind of hard to go from Xbox One. Where do you go? Xbox Two? That would still be better than Xbox Series X. That makes it sound like an upgrade or something, not a new console. At least Xbox Two would be consistent.
    well one of the problems for M$ is that their main competitor was already 1 number ahead of them when it came time to name their 7th gen console. they couldnt call it the Xbox 2 which competed against the PS3. So the simple numbering route was never going to work.

I generally dont like the numbering of console names because it immediately dates those products. Nintendo and Sega did it right by not going that route.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Even Sony has been goofy with naming sometimes. Like you got "PSX" as a code name for the original PlayStation, but then PSX was used as the name of a specific model of PS2. Then you've got PS One as a specific model of the original PlayStation, only for Sony to later refer to the entire system as the PS One, as in "PS One Classics" on PSN.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (12-15-2019)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Even Sony has been goofy with naming sometimes. Like you got "PSX" as a code name for the original PlayStation, but then PSX was used as the name of a specific model of PS2. Then you've got PS One as a specific model of the original PlayStation, only for Sony to later refer to the entire system as the PS One, as in "PS One Classics" on PSN.
    PS classics may be seen as a culmination of classics from multiple PS consoles, so PS One classics atleast makes it less confusing. PS One classics, PS2 classics, etc. While the PS One was released around when the PS2 was, maybe they thought people were too dumb to know the difference of the original Playstation and PS2, guarantees there's no confusion, it just happened to work perfectly with how they name their digital rereleases, unintentional at the time, no one knew digital releases were going to be big when PS2 launched.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kupomogli For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (12-21-2019)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't think it was a bad idea to name the redesign PS One. But they could've just as well called the PSN releases PS1 Classics, to keep the PS One name reserved for the specific model.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

a video I watched recently said that the new Xbox is supposed to just be called "Xbox" now. if I worked in retail Id be pissed trying to have to explain this shit to people

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Yeah, I agree that PS One Classics should be PS1, though at least it's not "PlayStation Classics" which would be confusing given that there already is a PlayStation Classic and "PlayStation Classics" could mean PS1, PS2, PS3, or any combination thereof, and even PS4 once the PS5 comes out. But it's not too bad.

If they name it just the "Xbox" that would be even stupider than "Xbox Series X". It's hard to think of a name for it. "Xbox X" could be confused with the Xbox One X (then again, so could "Series X"). "Xbox Two" would just be weird given that it's the fourth generation of the console. The series has gone Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and then there's the Xbox One X variant. Calling it the "Xbox 4" would be the logical choice but they have to compete with the PlayStation 5 and people may assume the Xbox 4 is on the PS4's level, not the PS5's. Hmmm... maybe "Xbox Delta", because it's fourth, and they could just continue with the 24 letter Greek alphabet? Maybe "Xbox Omicron", even though that's the 15th Greek letter, because that just sounds awesome.

Anyway the Xbox Series X or Xbox or whatever the heck they're going to call it is looking like a good console. Backward compatibility with Xbox One and continued physical disc game releases. I like it already. The Xbox One looked like it was going to be crap several months before launch. It's pretty awesome.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    a video I watched recently said that the new Xbox is supposed to just be called "Xbox" now. if I worked in retail Id be pissed trying to have to explain this shit to people
    Soon to be "The console formerly known as Xbox" with the name now written as a cryptic symbol.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Soon to be "The console formerly known as Xbox" with the name now written as a cryptic symbol.
    lol. what this reminds me of is how car enthusiasts name the different Corvette revisions C1, C2, C3, etc. It wont surprise me if independent retailers start calling it "The Fourth Xbox" or "Xbox 4" but even then most average people are still going to be confused. It will be like Led Zeppelins fourth studio album where its basically just called Led Zeppelin IV

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    lol. what this reminds me of is how car enthusiasts name the different Corvette revisions C1, C2, C3, etc. It wont surprise me if independent retailers start calling it "The Fourth Xbox" or "Xbox 4" but even then most average people are still going to be confused. It will be like Led Zeppelins fourth studio album where its basically just called Led Zeppelin IV
    I've been to the Corvette plant, and the museum several times. I'm a big car enthusiast and I went to college a few miles down the road from where Corvettes were made. I have to get to a Chevy dealer and test drive a C8, if I do it soon I can claim it as a 27th birthday present

Back to video games though, a bad name isn't going to hold Microsoft back too much if they deliver with a good product, but it will cost them some sales. Us gamers can make sense of the name mess-up, but it's non-gamers buying the console for a kid/grandkid/spouse/relative/good friend that may not be able to.