Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my experiences with the Switch so far

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default my experiences with the Switch so far

Since I've had this thing for four months now I figured I'd talk about it, especially as this is my first foray into owning a modern gaming console since the PS2 days.

So....

1. Advice: While I do think everyone should get a MicroSD card for additional storage... wait until you've used up the internal storage first. Because once you put it in the Switch defaults to using it, and you can't force it to use the internal storage first. This even includes if you download DLC for games that are already on your internal storage, and you don't want the data for one game to be split between two storage mediums.

On that note.... get a brand-new card, not a used or refurbished one. I kept having issues with mine "crashing" and deleting all the data, causing me to have to re-download stuff, and I got sick of it.

EDIT: fluid_matrix's post below also brought to my attention that fake MicroSD's were a thing, so I recommend following his advice as well. The one I got might've been a fake and thus that would explain the issues I had.

2. Lots of people say that the Switch convinced them to embrace having a digital-only library. I.... don't entirely concur but I do like having a mix of download games alongside games on cartridge, since if I'm bored of the cart game I can switch over to something else.

3. That reminds me.... okay, sometimes my Switch has issues connecting wirelessly, but I've noticed the times it acts up the most tend to be when I've got the joycons off, so I think the bluetooth signal is interfering with the wireless internet somehow. When they're on the system it tends to start working.

4. Twister Road is more addictive than it has any right to be, especially considering what a simple premise it is (basically, its an endless runner, last-as-long-as-possible game).

5. I wound up finding this cheap game called Kitten Squad, which plays like.... I guess like Smash TV but with talkie parts? One thing I didn't notice before buying tho... its co-produced by PETA, so of course all the missions and "real-world facts" are intent on selling you the horros of how animals are treated in the real world. It still seems to be a decent game if you don't mind it having a clear agenda.

6. So I actually bought Minecraft.... and wound up.... its weird, whenever I start a new game, Minecraft is generally captivating, however as soon as I hit iron the game starts to lose steam for me. I wrote a longer document -> here <-, but the short version is it commits a common sin of sandbox.... it succeeds at allowing you to do whatever by just being really, really shallow to the point where your decisions don't really carry any weight or meaning.

Needless to say, Dragon Quest Builders 2 is the better game despite the plot railroad.

7. Speaking of Dragon Quest, I was at Gamestop earlier today and saw an announcement that the player character from Dragon Quest VIII (mind if I insist on calling him Bippydoo?) is now a DLC fighter in Smash Bros Ultimate... along with Terry frickin' Bogard.

I hope I get a lot of Christmas money...

That's all for now. What have ya'lls experiences with the Switch been, if you had any?
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 12-18-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

To add to your #1... when you do decide to buy a MicroSD card, buy one from a reputable source. There are many fakes floating around that promise you tons of space for a fraction of the price. As the saying goes, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Also, I recommend running your new flash memory thru FakeFlashTest to ensure the card is authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    What have ya'lls experiences with the Switch been, if you had any?
    Don't own one. And at this point in time, have no intentions of getting one. My most current Nintendo console is the OG Wii.
    Last edited by fluid_matrix; 12-18-2019 at 03:31 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fluid_matrix For This Useful Post:

Edmond Dantes (12-18-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Thanks for bringing the issue of fakes to my attention, I didn't even know fake MicroSDs were a thing... that might explain why the one I got was so iffy...

I just ordered a second one from Amazon (not a marketplace seller, Amazon themselves) so hopefully my second will be much more reliable.

BTW, another experience: Switch was my first go-around with wireless controllers. Not just the Joy-Cons but also a thing by 8BitDo called the SN30 Pro Plus.... this thing .... and.... its honestly one of the best controllers I've ever used. I'm thinking of getting the adapters that let it work on NES and SNES to get more out of it (its too bad there doesn't seem to be an equivalent adapter for the PS2....)
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 12-18-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Buy the Shin'en Multimedia game The Touryst. The company that made it is great at squeezing all of the power they can out of the Switch, plus the game itself is fun and charming. Only about 7 or 8 hours long but easily one of my picks for Game of the Year:

They also have Fast RMX on Switch which is the closest we will ever get to an F-Zero on the platform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Glad you mentioned Fast RMX because I was actually wondering if there were any good racing games on the Switch that weren't Team Sonic Racing or Mario Kart 8.

There's so many games (on the eShop especially) that its hard to investigate them all. But mainly right now I feel like my library needs:

-A racing game (the afformentioned titles might end up filling this void)
    -a fighting game (dozens of choices including Neo-Geo classics, but I'll likely end up with both Smash Bros Ultimate and DB FighterZ)
    -some sort of Tetris-esque or Puyo Puyo-esque puzzle game (likely not Tetris 99 since that requires internet)
    -something turn-based and strategic
    -a golf game, preferably one similar to either Golf It or Tower Unite Golf (look those up on Youtube). It's seeming like 3D Minigolf or Infinite Minigolf are my best bets here.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Racing: Fast RMX
    Fighting: Smash Bros Ultimate
    Puzzle: Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Turn-based/strategy: Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pokemon Sword and Shield
    Golf: Golf Story

Golf Story is legitimately one of the best games on the Switch, and it is getting a sequel next year. It's made by an indie developer with a lot of talent. I've got to add that though its golfing mechanics are sound, it has a lot of traits of an RPG in it too and doesn't necessarily take itself seriously.

Did you pick up The Touryst?
    Last edited by Tupin; 12-22-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If you haven't bought it all ready id highly suggest,blaster master zero for switch.That was my first digital buy for the system back in 2017 and inti creates did right by that remake also there is a sequel as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

If I had a Switch these are the games I would want

Cuphead
    The Mummy Demastered

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Did you pick up The Touryst?
    Not yet. I did pick up the following (mostly due to insane sales):

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 and X Collection 2 (my focus was on the ones with games I didn't already own)
    Mega Man 11
    Dragon Ball FighterZ (insane sale, it was priced down to $14.99 from its normal $40 or so). I don't have any of the DLC just yet.

Also god damn this is the console for classic arcade games... Super Burger Time, Super Real Darwin (weirdest title for a shmup I've seen yet), and Outrun are all there, those are just the ones I bought. I found a golf game called Crazy Zen MiniGolf which is kinda similar to the games I've seen Markiplier and Mangaminx play on their channels but lacking some of their polish.

I also went ahead and bought the Switch port of Dragon Quest 1.... and while I see the aesthetic problems, honestly it seems pretty good. Somehow that it feels like I'm playing a flash game works given that DQ is supposed to be primitive. I also dig the new translation which fleshes everything out. And man I swear the EXP and gold payouts are bigger than even the Gameboy Color one.

Mostly right now I'm budgeting/saving for more expensive purchases like Smash Bros Ultimate.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I can't stress enough the importance of buying a Flip Grip if you're into Switch classic gaming and you play in handheld mode.

Being able to play all these classic vertical arcade games in their proper aspect ratio is awesome, and playing pinball games where you can actually see the table makes a world of difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I shall look into the Flip Grip. One thing I would like too is a device which would allow me to play with a controller (or even that controller-like holster for the joycons) but still clamped like onto the bottom of the console.

Also, found one slight issue with Dragon Quest's switch port.... okay, one reason I like that game is how much it depends on you being able to do detective work. For example one item you need is in a place you might visit but you have to search a specific unremarkable square, and there's someone in the game who tells you which square it is.

In the Switch port.... the spot in question is sparkling. Which makes the guy who tells you where to search completely pointless and removes part of the "detective" element. Like, just what the hell, Squeenix?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

One thing I would like too is a device which would allow me to play with a controller
    I don't know if this would be your thing, but the Hori Split Pad Pro is about as close as you can get to a "normal" controller (with a decent d-pad) when in handheld mode.

Definitely worth the steep price for me, as the majority of my Switch gaming is 2D stuff that requires a decent d-pad. It also makes it a hell of a lot more comfortable to hold.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Flip Grip is great and so is the split pad pro.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Another first, created a Japanese eshop account for an import download.

Was shockingly easy.

As for what I bought, well I found out the Japanese version of the Mega Man X Collections have content that the US download does not, due to licensing issues (namely, any game with an FMV intro or ending originally used a Jpop song. These are on the Japanese release but the US release will always use the US replacement music... even if you specifically tell it to play the Japanese version). To be honest if I had known this I would've bought the Japanese releases from the get-go instead of buying essentially the same game twice, but oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Another first, created a Japanese eshop account for an import download.

Was shockingly easy.

As for what I bought, well I found out the Japanese version of the Mega Man X Collections have content that the US download does not, due to licensing issues (namely, any game with an FMV intro or ending originally used a Jpop song. These are on the Japanese release but the US release will always use the US replacement music... even if you specifically tell it to play the Japanese version). To be honest if I had known this I would've bought the Japanese releases from the get-go instead of buying essentially the same game twice, but oh well.
    Does the japanese MMX collection play in english or is it japanese still ? The only other difference i know of is the u.s version was split up between physical and digital where's japan got it on two cartridges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    starkreality

But can you tap your toe to the J music? That's pretty cool though - I'm always in for Mega Man games of some kind.
    It's been a long time since I followed a Nintendo product. Does the switch have the same digital library that the Wii had? I remember some pretty great retro titles for the Wii - you could even download the SNES Indiana Jones game for example. Can you do that on the Switch?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nintendo eShops are unique to each platform. They have some games in common, but not everything. Unfortunately, there's a lot of WiiWare and Wii Virtual Console releases that haven't been released on anything since.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

§ Gideon § (01-08-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    starkreality

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Nintendo eShops are unique to each platform. They have some games in common, but not everything. Unfortunately, there's a lot of WiiWare and Wii Virtual Console releases that haven't been released on anything since.
    Ooookay, I see. I hate to say it, but I'd be most interested in a Wii then at this point primarily for the retro game access I remember it having. But even that's a deep dive investment because there are lots of ways to pick up those retro titles - from emulation to used game discs with 30 titles on them.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The Wii eShop was shut down, so there's no way to access its Virtual Console games unless you have a system with the games already purchased and installed or if you hack a Wii to put whatever you want on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Does the japanese MMX collection play in english or is it japanese still ? The only other difference i know of is the u.s version was split up between physical and digital where's japan got it on two cartridges.
    It actually gives you the option of whether to play the US versions or the Japanese versions (its kinda subtle... pressing Y on the game selection screen changes edition). Also if your switch is set to English as the default language then the collection's menus will follow suit, tho you can also manually change them if you feel like.

I do have one disappointment: Apparently Rockman 8 is still missing its Jpop intro song even if you're playing the Japanese legacy collection. I was surprised to see the US intro (complete with it reading "Megaman 8")... so I can only guess there were licensing issues in Japan as well. Oh well, I guess I have another reason to pick up the J Saturn release.

For the X games though every one I've tested (X4 and X6 were the first I booted up) they do indeed have Jpop music and Japanese intros. I've heard that X5 might still have some English voice samples for things like when X is at critical health, but that may only be if you bought the US version. I'll test this later.

(Oh BTW, English X5 via the collection did some minor retranslating, namely it no longer uses the Guns n' Roses names for the Mavericks).

Quote Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
    Ooookay, I see. I hate to say it, but I'd be most interested in a Wii then at this point primarily for the retro game access I remember it having. But even that's a deep dive investment because there are lots of ways to pick up those retro titles - from emulation to used game discs with 30 titles on them.
    Actually, one reason I'm really loving the Switch is its a haven for retro gaming, including games I never saw get a (legal) port anywhere else... I know Splatterhouse was included with the remake but now I can just get it on a collection of old games. I also now have pretty much arcade-perfect Shinobi (not sure if accurate port ever existed before), Space Harrier (existed on Saturn), Outrun (existed on Saturn but this version has a ton more music options), and Samurai Shodown V SPECIAL (for a long time was a Neo-Geo cartridge exclusive).

Then there's games like Super Burger Time, which I didn't even know was a thing. And of course my beloved X-Multiply (I know there was a port on the Playstation, but... it sucked).

Seriously, look up "Nintendo Switch Sega Ages" (altho Shinobi and Space Harrier seem to be Japanese eShop exclusive) "Johnny Turbo's Arcade" (how the heck did the mascot of the TurboGrafx get associated with arcade games?) and "Arcade Archives." It's quite a list. Combined with that the Switch can be played as a portable unit, it seems to me the only way to do better is to run emulators on a laptop.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 01-08-2020 at 03:55 PM.