Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default my experiences with the Switch so far

Since I've had this thing for four months now I figured I'd talk about it, especially as this is my first foray into owning a modern gaming console since the PS2 days.

So....

1. Advice: While I do think everyone should get a MicroSD card for additional storage... wait until you've used up the internal storage first. Because once you put it in the Switch defaults to using it, and you can't force it to use the internal storage first. This even includes if you download DLC for games that are already on your internal storage, and you don't want the data for one game to be split between two storage mediums.

On that note.... get a brand-new card, not a used or refurbished one. I kept having issues with mine "crashing" and deleting all the data, causing me to have to re-download stuff, and I got sick of it.

EDIT: fluid_matrix's post below also brought to my attention that fake MicroSD's were a thing, so I recommend following his advice as well. The one I got might've been a fake and thus that would explain the issues I had.

2. Lots of people say that the Switch convinced them to embrace having a digital-only library. I.... don't entirely concur but I do like having a mix of download games alongside games on cartridge, since if I'm bored of the cart game I can switch over to something else.

3. That reminds me.... okay, sometimes my Switch has issues connecting wirelessly, but I've noticed the times it acts up the most tend to be when I've got the joycons off, so I think the bluetooth signal is interfering with the wireless internet somehow. When they're on the system it tends to start working.

4. Twister Road is more addictive than it has any right to be, especially considering what a simple premise it is (basically, its an endless runner, last-as-long-as-possible game).

5. I wound up finding this cheap game called Kitten Squad, which plays like.... I guess like Smash TV but with talkie parts? One thing I didn't notice before buying tho... its co-produced by PETA, so of course all the missions and "real-world facts" are intent on selling you the horros of how animals are treated in the real world. It still seems to be a decent game if you don't mind it having a clear agenda.

6. So I actually bought Minecraft.... and wound up.... its weird, whenever I start a new game, Minecraft is generally captivating, however as soon as I hit iron the game starts to lose steam for me. I wrote a longer document -> here <-, but the short version is it commits a common sin of sandbox.... it succeeds at allowing you to do whatever by just being really, really shallow to the point where your decisions don't really carry any weight or meaning.

Needless to say, Dragon Quest Builders 2 is the better game despite the plot railroad.

7. Speaking of Dragon Quest, I was at Gamestop earlier today and saw an announcement that the player character from Dragon Quest VIII (mind if I insist on calling him Bippydoo?) is now a DLC fighter in Smash Bros Ultimate... along with Terry frickin' Bogard.

I hope I get a lot of Christmas money...

That's all for now. What have ya'lls experiences with the Switch been, if you had any?
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 12-18-2019 at 05:18 AM.