Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Cartridge schematics?

I Googled this and used the forum search function here and havent found anything to suggest that someone has drawn up or found schematics for ANY game cartridges, just consoles. I was thinking about doing this myself but I will preface this by saying I once had the idea of mapping out 2D games using either the Retron 5 or an emulator and assembling screenshots to put together full maps of games but theres a website that already did this.

I would be really discouraged to start doing this only to find out later on there is a already a trove of hundreds of pictures of schematics for carts done professionally and I learned that I wasted my time.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I'm not sure if you're going to find any archive of "schematics" but there are sources that try to capture PCB photos for this purpose.

SNES Central keeps a repository of most SNES PCB variations: http://snescentral.com/system.php

No-Intro also tries to get PCB images of all particular variations of practically every rom-based console out there. Here's Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis/Megadrive for example: https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index...rd&s=32&n=1231

There may be other sites for different console niches (I haven't checked but I'd wager a guess that SMSPower would probably have images of Sega Master System/Game Gear PCBs).
    Last edited by Pr3tty F1y; 12-29-2019 at 02:13 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pr3tty F1y For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (12-29-2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I tried a program but it didnt have all the features I wanted. kinda hard to use. but still better than Paint

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Not exactly sure what you mean by schematics. There are plenty of 3D models for shells, plenty of source code out there too, plus newly created GUI, programming tools, and compilers for new games.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

wiring diagrams. PCB layout. trace drawings. signal flow

well in researching component names I found out the PCB contacts are technically called "gold fingers." I always just called them the contacts. I had trouble finding the universal symbol for fingers on my diagram so I used male pins instead. I couldnt find a symbol in TinyCad for the various microcontrollers and thats where I gave up
    Last edited by gbpxl; 12-31-2019 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The technical name is "Edge connector" and most schematic software should have an option for it. Usually though, it'll just be a rectangle that lets you label the pins.

You're probably not finding existing schematics because most cartridges aren't going to be complicated enough for people to need them for doing repairs and stuff.

Common rom and ram chips should be in most software but mapper and bank switching chips might be custom. But there should be an option to create the custom chips.

You might also try proto and repro building sites.
    Last edited by jb143; 01-05-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (01-04-2020)