Thread: Anyone ringing in 2020 retro-gaming style?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Anyone ringing in 2020 retro-gaming style?

Tonight, as the wife is away, the mice (and this big mouse,) are kicking back playing games. I ventured down to the basement and brought up a small tube TV past renters at one of my wife's apartment left behind. A nice little RCA job. I put it on the dining room table along with my NES (that I've had since middle school). I popped in SMB/Duck Hunt and off we went.

Man...I forgot how nice CRT play was.

My son is currently enthralled with Mario. When my 5 year old step son wandered away during a 2 player game, I took control. When I was 13, it never crossed my mind that I'd be showing my children this game.

However, while my son found it neat to see these new levels, he got bored because he wasn't playing. Needless to say, Luigi bit the farm on 8-2 and the system got reset so he could play. Well, I do have Super Mario Land in a GBA next to me...

Anyone else firing up a retro game to ring in the new year? Some Bust A Move 2 on Saturn to see the seasonal cut scenes? A little Animal Crossing to watch the fireworks?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Probably nothing more since beating Super Metroid earlier today, since the family will want to gather around midnight, and then I'll likely head to bed not long after, but I might start up Illusion of Gaia tomorrow.

That reminds me, exactly 20 years ago, on New Year's Eve, I decided to pick a game as the last game I'd play in the previous millennium and another as the first game I'd play of the current millennium. So right before midnight, at the end of 1999, I played Super Mario Bros., which seemed fitting to me for whatever reason, and the first game I played at the beginning of 2000 was Chrono Trigger, my favorite game at the time, which seemed like a good way to start a new millennium of gaming.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

sick as hell. slept through the new year for about 12 hours

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Was a couple of days before New Years, but in keeping with my tradition of sorts, I hauled some of my mini consoles to a family gathering where several of my younger relatives were. The Genesis Mini didn't get any use, but the NES, SNES and PlayStation Classics all got some screen time with both me and my cousins. I especially had fun giving a size comparison between their original PlayStation and my Classic mini; really wish they'd given it an opening door over the 'optical drive', akin to the working 'cartridge slot' doors on the Genesis Mini. Maybe if Sony ever decides to rectify their mistakes with a new version..........

ETA: There was some modern gaming going on as well. The cousins (and my brother) were playing around with the Nintendo Switch (and Switch Lite) they'd gotten as Christmas gifts, and I finally got around to playing with the New Nintendo 3DS XL I scored at a flea market last year for all of $10(!). Have yet to fully get used to the 3D effect, but Mario Kart 7 is quite fun nonetheless.
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 01-04-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Modern gaming content added