Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your pickup loot and finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I went to a Game X Change store in McKinney, TX today. I didn't find any games I wanted but I was amazed to see that one of their glass cases was filled, FILLED with APF MP-1000 cartridges, mostly boxed. There were only three titles; Catena, Blockout, and Blackjack. But they had dozens of copies. Apparently, one of the guys who works there is a collector and had a bunch of old returned stock. There's loads of markdown stickers on the boxes, probably from store chains that don't exist any more. They had no consoles, otherwise I would have grabbed one up. I've never even seen one in person before, and I've only spotted loose cartridges a few times in my life. They're selling them on eBay mostly, at $50 each. If they would have been cheaper I'd have bought one or two just for collecting sake, but I can't blow that much on games that I can't play and I know aren't fun. I left empty-handed.

I did buy something at a Movie Trading Company store, filling in a few holes in the PS3 collection - I've got around 400 titles now. I also picked up a Blu-Ray of Pacific Rim 3D, just for the hell of it.

Last edited by Steve W; 06-13-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was forced against my will to get up extra early (my manager is forcing me to work 6am to 2pm all next week, and I've been trying to change my sleep schedule with only moderate success) and decided to go flea market shopping. Didn't find anything. On the way back I stopped at a Game X Change store and bought Little Big Planet 3 and Mass Effect Trilogy for the PS3 and The Wizards for the PS4. I picked up Street Fighter X Tekken and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe from a Movie Trading Company. On the way home I realized there was a Half Price Books, stopped, and found the game on top, Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle. I love finding imported games in the wild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I was forced against my will to get up extra early (my manager is forcing me to work 6am to 2pm all next week, and I've been trying to change my sleep schedule with only moderate success) and decided to go flea market shopping. Didn't find anything. On the way back I stopped at a Game X Change store and bought Little Big Planet 3 and Mass Effect Trilogy for the PS3 and The Wizards for the PS4. I picked up Street Fighter X Tekken and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe from a Movie Trading Company. On the way home I realized there was a Half Price Books, stopped, and found the game on top, Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle. I love finding imported games in the wild.

It's always a kick to find imports out there. There was a retro toy store that had import Famicom and Super Fami games, but usually the sports related stuff. Still neat to find.

The local St. Vinny's has been bolstering the look of their "collectables" (which video games are a part of) by putting them in glass cabinets right by the entrance rather than way in back with the electronics. Prices aren't horrible but not great. They had a PS2 mini with a few games (nothing of note), two controllers and a memory card for $90. I think their PS1 (regular-not sure if it's the kind with the composite ports or not) with controller and memory card for $30. They had a bunch of pretty common Wii games, PS3 and PS4 titles along with some N64 which had their price stickers out of view. They were selling a loose text-only Combat cart for a "cool" $5.

That's all I got for my "catch and release" trip. I haven't had time or much interest to check the usual haunts. I did swing by the above mentioned toy store and another game store looking for "Metroid II" for the 3DS as it looked more interesting that what I read about it online. But decent 3DS stuff was slim pickin's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was up in an area where I used to hit a group of thrift stores on my days off but haven't made the rounds in years, so I decided to check the old stores out. Sadly, out of the six thrift stores on that route only three were still there, and one was closed early. None had anything interesting. It's kind of sad.

I went to a Movie Trading Company and bought Crimes and Punishments: Sherlock Holmes for the Playstation 3. It had a $24.99 price tag but it had a price reduction in the computer but not re-priced yet so it was $14.99. It's one of those I ignored because I wasn't interested in Sherlock Holmes stuff, but it seems like it's really hard to find now so I had better grab it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Over the past couple weeks I've been occasionally looking for games and ordering some off Amazon. I got the Godzilla game a week and a half ago, it was fun but the tank controls were super awkward. I got E.X. Troopers from Amazon a few minutes ago. Sonic Generations and Deadly Premonition are factory sealed as well as E.X. Troopers. I picked up the Simpsons Game (Wii) and Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) from a Half-Price Books (I bought the Simpsons Game because I didn't pick it up for the PS3 and once COVID hit all copies vanished off store shelves) and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 came from a Movie Trading Company store. The other games came from a Game Xchange store.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Haven't had much to post about lately, but I did pick up a boxed Sega Master System at the "NorthEast ComicCon" show this past weekend for $225. Everything seems to be present and correct, including the A/V cable and instruction manuals. Also included were five boxed games. Here are some photos:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I forgot to post that I came across this giant Mario in a thrift store. It was $25. I wasn't sure what it was or if it was worth it, so I left it for some Nintendo collector to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Another Sunday off, another long trip to find games. I hit a Half Price Books and bought John Woo Presents Stranglehold, GTA IV, and Tales of Berseria (PS4). Went to a Game Xchange store and was shocked to see Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon, which wasn't released on disc in the US. There was also a European version of Soul Calibur IV too. Went to a different Game Xchange store and picked up Saw, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Dynasty Warriors: Gundam. Stopped at a retro store in Fort Worth and bought the Japanese game Dynasty Warriors Orochi 2 Ultimate for PS3 and a European copy of Slam Tennis for the original Xbox, and the three RCA Studio II cartridges. They didn't have a machine to play them on, otherwise I might have bought it too. I've only ever seen those consoles at gaming conventions. And on the way home I stopped at a Movie Trading Company and bought Warriors: Legend of Troy. And yesterday my Asian copy of Afrika came in, called Hakuna Matata there. It has English and Chinese language options. It cost me around $50 or so. It was the only way I could get a copy of the game for under $100 or more, it's going for insane prices right now.

When I bought a PS3 at the beginning of last year, most stores were practically giving the games away. Nobody wanted them, the PS4 was near the end of its life and the PS5 was on the horizon so PS3 games were priced cheap. But once lockdown was announced everybody ran into game stores and grabbed up any old console and games they could. The announcement of the PS3's online store closing whipped people up too. And now games are getting a little overpriced. The Atelier games were never too expensive, I bought them all between $13.99 and $19.99. One Game Xchange store I went to a few days ago had one title $35 and another one for $45. Ouch. Spider-Man: Web of Shadows was $75. I never bought a Spider-Man game, since I didn't know how crazy the market was going to get. When I started buying PS3 games I focused on stuff I thought would be harder to come by in the future when nostalgia kicks in for that console. And the market's getting away from me. I read that horror games were getting harder to find, that's why I bought the Saw game. It's now going for $35. I wonder if this is going to last, or was the collectability of the PS3 kickstarted by lockdown going to be the new standard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yeah the pandemic really jacked prices up at stores. It’s like they think folks with stimulus money are going to not care how much they are gonna spend on gaming stuff. 2DS systems locally have gone up $10-$20. It’s also been some slim pickings at thrifts even more now as the stores are jacking up prices. The local St Bunny’s had a Wii bundle with a couple controllers and games for $100.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I forgot about the stimulus check thing. A couple times I'd be in a game store around that time and some twenty-somethings at the counter would be talking about spending their stimulus check on a console.

The last couple days off I went game hunting all over the area. Picked up a couple Dynasty Warriors games, a couple James Bond 007 games, GTA IV: Liberty City Stories, Devil May Cry 4, and Amazing Spider-Man 2 since the price wasn't jacked up on it yet. And off Amazon I bought Arcadias no Senki and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

stimulus checks and enhanced unemployment. I overheard a guy yesterday complain that he was only getting $700 a week in unemployment. lot of people out there with plenty of money and idle hands

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

Steve W (07-21-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

$700 a week? I don't make that in my job, and I'm working my butt off while dealing with the dregs of humanity (retail, in other words).

I've been popping around the Dallas area looking for anything I don't already have, and hitting the Half Price Books locations I haven't been to yet. Everything here was from Half Price Books except the Dynasty Warriors 7 and Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge, which were bought at a Movie Trading Company (the Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge is an import, I think it's from Australia - I bought it for the novelty, not to necessarily play).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I went to the only Half Price Books location in the Dallas/Fort Worth area I haven't been to yet, hoping to find another Japanese import PS3 game (I had a pretty good run for a while there)... didn't find anything. I bought Lollipop Chainsaw for the Xbox 360 (this one was $14.99, the PS3 version is going for over $100 in some places) but looking it up it's an average price for the 360 version. I've been neglecting my 360 so much anyway. I also picked up Starfox Zero/Guard boxed set for the Wii U for $19.99 since I can't ever find Wii U stuff in the wild, and even though I've heard they aren't great games I still bought them.

Since I was in the neighborhood I stopped at a great little game store and bought the European version of One Piece: Pirate Warriors and House of the Dead: Overkill for the PS3. I haven't seen the House of the Dead game on any store shelf since the beginning of the lockdown, and I didn't expect it to be so cheap. They had some cheap Ratchet & Clank games but they were both disc-only with iffy looking reproduction covers, and my collecting nerdiness won't let me pull that trigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Ran into a GameXchange after work, picked up Trailblazers, Icewind Dale/Torment, Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (all for PS4), and Mystic Midway for the Philips CD-i. The employees were mystified by that one, neither were out of their teens and had no clue about what the game was played on. I told them to look up the Zelda games on YouTube and have a good laugh.

A few PS3 games I've ordered through Amazon have been trickling in. Painkiller - Hell and Damnation, the Asian release of Ape Escape - On The Move (it's in Chinese and English), and Sega's remake of Strider. Haven't tried them yet, I'm saving them for when I go on vacation at the end of the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I started my vacation Friday, and on my drive I stopped constantly along the way at loads of game stores, used movie shops, and used book stores hunting for mostly PS3 games. The Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash I bought just to be goofy - so many studios in the US have gone "woke" and won't put cute women in games, I was happy to see the Japanese publishers are still ignoring all that crap. Monopoly Streets is a game that I haven't seen in almost a year, there's none in the game stores around Dallas. I grabbed this one up, even though there was damage to the case, for $9.99. This is one of those games that I would only find in a security storage case on game shelves for $25. The Top Gun game is hard to find, all those hybrid movie/game titles are getting difficult to find. I was happy to find the Family Guy game (even though I don't care for the show) because it's another one I haven't seen since lockdown last year and the rush to buy games and consoles started.

I keep finding Spider-Man games around here in Louisiana... they're hard to find in my neck of the woods. And if you can find one on a game store shelf, it's $75. This one was only $14.99.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Sega released a disc based version of Strider? Dang. It looked and played decent but I wasn’t in the mood for another “-vania” styled game at the time.

It’s been a lotta nothin’ when I’ve looked. Only thing I can crow about was finding an active Radio Shack (though part of a hardware store). I picked up a better soldering iron, a desoldering braid and flux paste. The “store” was in its own area next to a US Cellular area and then the hardware store sprawled from there. This had all the RS “essentials” in my book so I will definitely make another trip there again.

For Wisconsinites: it’s in Chilton.
    Last edited by YoshiM; 08-10-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Sega released a disc based version of Strider? Dang. It looked and played decent but I wasn’t in the mood for another “-vania” styled game at the time.

It’s been a lotta nothin’ when I’ve looked. Only thing I can crow about was finding an active Radio Shack (though part of a hardware store). I picked up a better soldering iron, a desoldering braid and flux paste. The “store” was in its own area next to a US Cellular area and then the hardware store sprawled from there. This had all the RS “essentials” in my book so I will definitely make another trip there again.

For Wisconsinites: it’s in Chilton.
    I remember seeing a Radio Shack in NW Wisconsin in 2015 and just being blown away that the store still existed at that point. Same town where I scored a deal on a bunch of rare NES titles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

A few days ago I went into Shreveport to do some game hunting. Picked up some more games for the holes in my collection - Sports Champions is common as dirt, but a couple YouTube collectors have mentioned that the sequel is getting hard to find. It's true, I started looking around Dallas and came up empty. There was one in a GameXchange around here, I talked to the employee who said they've got loads of copies, and then he couldn't find it. They keep game discs in shelves behind the counters and there was no Sports Champions 2, even though they had a box. Bummer. They did have Halftime Battlin' Bands for the Atari 400/800, though. It's an educational game and it seems to be complete. There's a warranty card, a manual, a catalog of their other games, and... a flexidisc record. I guess it's a soundtrack of marching band music to play the game with? It could be jazz - apparently the people who designed it were jazz musicians. It's hard to get any phone signal way out where I'm staying at on vacation, but I'll try to look it up on YouTube so I don't have to track down a turntable to play it.

I'm wondering if this concept couldn't be made into a modern strategy/rhythm game hybrid on modern consoles. Or if it already has and I'm unaware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

In the past week I went game shopping a few times. I already have Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood but this is a European release type I've never seen before, and it was fairly cheap and the box looks better than the one I have, so I grabbed it. That version of Dark Souls (titled as the "prepare to die edition") is also a European release. I bought a copy of No More Heroes for the Wii a couple years back but my copy didn't work, and this one was only $14.99 at a Half Price Books so I snapped it up. I also bought Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled and Sniper: Contracts for the PS4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Went on a flea market hunt Sunday. I only found Bulletstorm and Nail'd at a flea market, didn't find anything else. So I hit a bunch of game stores on the drive back. I already had Mass Effect Trilogy boxed, but it didn't have the slipcover on it so it's just a black spine on the shelf. Found it for $14.99 at a GameXchange that for some bizarre reason had probably over 50 disc-only copies of Sewer Shark for the Sega CD, and around 150 disc-only random Sega Saturn games, all in paper sleeves in a plastic tub. I don't think they'll get rid of the Sewer Shark copies since they seem to be charging $39.99 each for them. The employees said they'd been in the store for at least a couple years, before either of them got jobs there and nobody currently working there knows where they came from. It amazes me how things like this happen.