Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your pickup loot and finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I swung by the local St. Vince De Paul thrift store to find an alarm clock for my eldest step son and came across a red PS3 Dual Shock controller for $3.50. It's charging but I'm not sure if it'll hold a charge. We'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

ok so looks like i'm getting the sega cd..comes with the genesis all the cables, controllers and at least 10 games all complete...i havent seen the games yet...gonna pick this up tomorrow for $160..i'll post pics of it when i get home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I swung by the local St. Vince De Paul thrift store to find an alarm clock for my eldest step son and came across a red PS3 Dual Shock controller for $3.50. It's charging but I'm not sure if it'll hold a charge. We'll see.
    Heh, about the ONLY game related find I've had in recent memory was stopping at a St. Vince De Paul thrift store on Friday and getting a Dual Shock 3 controller. I don't have a PS3 but figured I'd use it for Android games. Seems to work well enough.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

bought a segacd model 2 which came with a genesis, 2 first party 6 button controllers and 11 games mostly complete for $100...the games are nothing great but a couple of them have some value....road avengers probably the most value...also included was microcosm, silpheed, nhl94, fifa soccer, loadstar, jurassic park, mansion of hidden souls, stellar fire, tomcat alley, cliffhanger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I made a trek down to Lafayette, Louisiana to visit the big flea market north of town. Didn't really find much (at least at a good price), but the one dedicated game stall always has Super Famicom titles there for $4.99 each. Picked up Fatal Fury Special, Fatal Fury 2, and Torneco No Daibouken Fushigi No Dungeon.

I bought my first PS3 for $54.95 in a used book store (no backwards compatability but it's the 120GB model), and once I started looking at games I found absolutely heaps of them around the $3 level. There's two GameXchange stores around Shreveport that does a buy-2-get-1-free sale for games under $9.99. I've really taken advantage of that; I probably have between 25 to 30 games now. I have really good luck buying consoles once the games get dirt cheap.
    Last edited by Steve W; 02-10-2020 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Had to fix my picture links and stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I decided to take the plunge and get another N64. Emulation for that system just doesn't cut it for me. I had store credit at the local collectible toy store so a $55 N64 became $17. Only downside is I don't have games for it, so I'm on the prowl for a Super Mario 64, one of my favorite games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

So, I decided to hit a thrift store that I used to have good luck with back in the day but generally don't ever visit any more, and to my shock I found something. Picked up an Xbox 360 Slim with controller for $28. My original 360 red ringed fairly early in its life and I never bothered to replace it since the internet was rampant with stories of people having to replace consoles every couple of months. It felt like too much trouble to deal with, packaging up and shipping off game machines on a semi-regular basis. I assume that the Slim was slightly better designed to not fail weeks after purchasing it. I guess it's time for me to jump back into another console where the games are dirt cheap (Gears of War 1 only cost 99¢!) and at game stores where everything is buy-2-get-1-free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    So, I decided to hit a thrift store that I used to have good luck with back in the day but generally don't ever visit any more, and to my shock I found something. Picked up an Xbox 360 Slim with controller for $28. My original 360 red ringed fairly early in its life and I never bothered to replace it since the internet was rampant with stories of people having to replace consoles every couple of months. It felt like too much trouble to deal with, packaging up and shipping off game machines on a semi-regular basis. I assume that the Slim was slightly better designed to not fail weeks after purchasing it. I guess it's time for me to jump back into another console where the games are dirt cheap (Gears of War 1 only cost 99¢!) and at game stores where everything is buy-2-get-1-free.
    Good deal! I don't see 360's too often in the wild and if I do, it's a Falcon or Zephyr model. If I ran across a Jasper (the "arcade" model that fixed a lot of problems prior to the major redesign), I'd snap it up. Though my wife would probably shoot me.

Addendum to my last post: my N64 works. It's just dirty as hell. Why can't these stores just take time to clean the contacts? Anyway, I got Excitebike 64, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire and my coveted Super Mario 64. Not at grand prices, but with my remaining store credit at my other haunt, I think I spent $32. Most was on SM64 but I'm ok with that.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Found a copy of Micro Machines with the box and some inserts minus the manual and the guts (SNES) for $30 and then 20% off on top of that. I really havent been looking for video games for a while but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The Family Video near us is closing and they had all their games and movies marked down to 40 cents. I ended up getting a handful of Wii and WiiU games. Not really anything to get excited about, since most of the good stuff was already gone. Probably the best being Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands and Lego Avengers.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    The Family Video near us is closing and they had all their games and movies marked down to 40 cents. I ended up getting a handful of Wii and WiiU games. Not really anything to get excited about, since most of the good stuff was already gone. Probably the best being Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands and Lego Avengers.
    Did they put stickers on the discs themselves? I just removed one yesterday and I am shocked the disc art is still intact. the inner clear plastic part doesnt look the best now though. Im basically at the point where I dont even want former rentals at all unless theyre free

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Did they put stickers on the discs themselves? I just removed one yesterday and I am shocked the disc art is still intact. the inner clear plastic part doesnt look the best now though. Im basically at the point where I dont even want former rentals at all unless theyre free
    They only have a round sticker over the clear center part, not on the artwork portion. I havn't tried to take them off yet though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    They only have a round sticker over the clear center part, not on the artwork portion. I havn't tried to take them off yet though.
    If you take them off, they leave a pretty sticky residue that can prevent the game from ejecting. My kids got a couple games for Christmas from F.V. and I almost had Super Mario Maker become a permanent resident in the Wii U. I had Goof Off but discovered it's pretty destructive to the artwork. Thankfully it was only a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

If you take them off, they leave a pretty sticky residue that can prevent the game from ejecting. My kids got a couple games for Christmas from F.V. and I almost had Super Mario Maker become a permanent resident in the Wii U. I had Goof Off but discovered it's pretty destructive to the artwork. Thankfully it was only a bit.
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I was going to bother trying to get them off before, now I probably will just leave them.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i found a n64 for $10 and two controllers (one green one yellow) for $5 ea at a goodwill.

the joysticks are totally shot though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I know it's old, but a week and a half ago (Feb 6), I managed to obtain two, 4-Slot Neo 25 cabs from my local Pizza place. I know the owner, and we have been talking for some time about me picking them up since she no longer wanted them. Also scored six MVS carts. The price? Free!

Sadly, the monitors seem to be shot. Also, one of the MVS units won't boot, or at least I can't confirm if it does, as at least one of the cabs has sound (that's how I know one MVS unit works). Yet the "damaged" MVS looks great physically, just very dusty.

I'm happy I got the units. Hope it helps my depression. Will be an interesting project.

https://ibb.co/gTLJc5t
    https://ibb.co/x7rjDQB
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Ultimate Sim Series (PC, 1998) - Includes Sim City 2000 Special Edition, Streets of Sim City, and Sim Copter. - $2, from a thrift store.

It has most of the manuals, except for Sim Copter. A previous owner left a manual for The Sims in the box.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 02-19-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I had the same 3-in-1 set. I dont think I ever got around to playing Streets or Copter. or maybe I couldnt figure oit how to play it. dont remember. Most the Sim games kicked the llamas ass, thats for sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I played "catch and release" tonight. Local thrift had a few NES games for $5 each loose: Tiger Heli, Caesar's Palace, Track &Field, Winter Games and Rescue:The Embassy Mission. I debated on Track and Field and Winter Games but put them back.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I played "catch and release" tonight. Local thrift had a few NES games for $5 each loose: Tiger Heli, Caesar's Palace, Track &Field, Winter Games and Rescue:The Embassy Mission. I debated on Track and Field and Winter Games but put them back.
    Caesar's Palace on the NES is actually somewhat rare, it's not that valuable but it's still nice to come across. I managed to see several common SNES games at my local value village today, all priced $19.99 each. I miss finding games at $5 each or less. I rarely see games at all now at thrifts.