Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your pickup loot and finds

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Considering how crazy rare and expensive Darxide is, I'm guessing it was an online transaction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was in the area anyway so I hit a GameXchange to see what else I can get in their "buy 2 games under $7.95 and get 1 free" sale. Bought three games. Then decided to drive way outside Dallas to go to another GameXchange in a nearby town that I hadn't picked clean yet. That's where the rest of them came from. The J-Stars game was $12.95, the rest were between 99¢ and $4.95. They must have recently started marking down their Wii U games lower because all three were freshly re-priced $4.95 each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Late last month, or early this month, I found a copy of ROBOCOP for Tandy 1000 / IBM PC/XT/AT. It was like new in the box, for $2. No idea if it works.

A few days later, I found:

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (with case) - $5
    Mario Tennis (GBA, loose) - $2
    Pokemon Colosseum (Gamecube) - $5 (with a Memory Card. They knew it was there.)

- Austin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Went to a GameXchange on the far side of Fort Worth, TX because I've plundered most other locations around here. Tales of Graces was $18.99, and since Dark Souls had been reduced to $6.99 it fell within the "buy 2 under $7.99 get 1 free" sale, so Mighty No. 9, Shift 2 Unleashed, Split/Second, Rage, and Kane & Lynch 2 were picked up as well. At a Movie Trading Company store I picked up that British release of Star Wars The Clone Wars (another foreign release! I just keep finding import games in the wild!) and Record of Agarest War 2. On my previous day off I picked up Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late at another Movie Trading Company. It seems like there's other collectors like me out there, just discovering the PS3 library, and a lot of games tend to disappear off store shelves, I've gotten to where I see a game I don't have I grab it up because I might not see it for a long time, maybe never again.

I'm hoping to go on vacation in a couple weeks, and I'm planning on hitting a bunch of different game stores en route. I'm hoping to find some games I haven't come across yet. The PS3 seems to have a lot of them. That makes the collector in me happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

After doing my assorted stuff on today's To-Do list, I ended up getting some games at a Movie Trading Company - they had a "buy 3 at $9.99 and get 1 free" sale. The top game Dunamis15 came from the import cases at a store called Game Over. Most of the other games they had were either Japanese language versions of games already released here in English, or Japanese language sports games. This is the only one that jumped out at me. I haven't got a clue about it. But it was the only PS3 game in that store that was interesting - Game Over closed two other locations nearby, so I'd guess their stock ended up consolidated at this one store. But the selection was not great. A whole lot of blank label games on the shelf with the title scribbled in marker on the front. They're almost as bad as GameStop for all the unlabeled games. I won't even consider buying one of those unless it's a game I really want now and I can find a proper case/label later. At least they knock a large chunk off the generic case games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Once my day was clear, I headed out to pick up stuff for my upcoming vacation week, and hit another GameXchange. Resident Evil, One Piece, and Dragon Age were $4.99 each, with Dragon Age being free. Rune Factory and Jurassic: The Hunted were $13.99 and MotorStorm Apocalypse was $9.99.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've gone out of state for the week. Stopped at several used movie stores and game stores along the way, making my trip extra long. Picked up a whole lot of stuff. I bought a copy of MAG, since I don't see it that much. Found out that it's an online-only game, so I can't and/or won't play it. Bummer. A bunch of buy-2-get-1-free titles in here.

One game store I wanted to go to had obviously had a "smash and dash" incident happen to it - the front of the store was missing, covered with boards. I think they relocated but I haven't found out where. Again, bummer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

After my stint with Little Big Planet on my PS3 Saturday, I wanted to see if I could find the Vita version. I stopped by a local game store, which usually doesn't have much in Vita and there the game was on the shelf in its box. And at a good price too. It has the code card, but I'm not sure if the previous owner used it or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've never found much for the Vita at any game store ever. It's one of the reasons I never bothered picking one up. I went to a game store on the far side of Dallas, one that has an excellent selection of PS3 games, and they had more Vita stuff than I ever knew existed. And good stuff too, a lot of RPGs and such, not loads of Madden or anything. I think that was Sony's problem... they released the PSP, but I would see 5 games on the shelf mixed in amongst 100 of the worst movies I would never want to watch. Again, there were plentiful games by the end of its life but I would never see them, there would only ever be a small amount on any store shelf. And piles of bad movies. I wish the Vita had the same kind of shelf presence as something like the Nintendo DS series, but there were only ever a handful of games in comparison to hundreds for whatever Nintendo portable was out at that time. Now that I can play the PSP in emulation, I'm beginning to understand just how vast its library was.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Vita has a really big library if you include all the digital-only games, but even if you narrow it down to physical US releases, there are over 300. But a lot of those were only available online, and even with the ones that went to brick and mortar stores, it's only the first couple years' releases that got any kind of wide distribution. With the more niche games that came out in later years, I think it was pretty typical for the average Gamestop to get maybe 2-4 copies. Enough to cover a couple preorders from diehard Vita fans and one or two extra to put on the shelf in whatever minuscule section they had for Vita.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I haven't shopped at a GameStop since the days of the Nokia N-Gage. So I wouldn't know what their shelves were like. My thing is either small or independent game stores, Movie Trading Company stores (a relative to the Vintage Stock chain), or GameXchange stores. And back in the days of the PSP, I'd go check them out at Fry's Electronics and find (again) 10 games hidden amongst 150 movies. I do remember on a visit to Fry's where they had dumped all their UMD films into a shopping cart next to the register, all titles now $1 each. So much for that movie format.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Picked up Otomedius Excellent Special Edition for the Xbox 360 at a 2nd and Charles store in Bossier City, LA today. $42.95, and turns out it's factory sealed too. Nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Just came back from my all-too-brief vacation week. I hit a bunch of stores that were well off the beaten path driving home... it seemed like I wasn't making much progress to get home for half the trip. At least I found some good stuff at GameXchange stores along the way.

Opoona for the Wii is empty. The box was in the store but the game disc couldn't be found anywhere, and I was upset because I've seen it at a game store or two but never in its original box. So they gave me the box since they don't need it without a game to sell it with. That was good of them.

I bought an Xbox 360 copy of Otomedius Excellent for $8.99. So now I don't need to unseal my sealed copy of the Special Edition version to play it. The rest are odds and ends that I rarely see in game stores around where I live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The Xbox games were bought at a thrift store for $1.99 each (there was a copy of Star Wars: Battlefront II there but it was too scratched). The other games were picked up at a couple Movie Trading Company stores. I only picked up the Project Diva F game for collecting purposes... I completely and totally suck at rhythm games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee was a limited edition PS3 release, new and sealed, for $49.99. Lost Dimension is also new and sealed, that was $39.99. A few days after buying those two I picked up the others; the Cartoon Network game looks like a knock-off of Smash Bros., and not one I see too often, so I broke down and bought it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Last month, probably:

360:

Guitar Hero II "Xplorer" Controllers - 1 with a Gibson logo, 1 without. One was missing a USB Break-away cable.

Gamecube:

The Sims 2: Pets (With Case, Manual, Warnings Booklet.)

Wii:

Guitar Hero: World Tour (with case.)

I also bought a Brass 1920s or 1930s Floor Lamp at the same store. The total was $15.

I then bought a 360 breakaway USB cable for $6, online.

EDIT: After that, I got a complete copy of Zelda: Skyward Sword on Wii for $5. That included the music CD.
    Last edited by Slate; 09-16-2020 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The local Family Video is going out of business, so I picked through remains. No games though as they didn't have anything I wanted. Most notable are two seasons of Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 for $7 each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Getting that Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee for PS3 made me want to track down other limited releases, so I ordered the two sealed games on the bottom of the stack, Steins;Gate and Class of Heroes 2G. I kind of want to try out Class of Heroes 2G but the shrinkwrap has a holographic seal on it from the studio, and now I don't want to open it.

I hit a few thrift stores today but found absolutely nothing of interest. So I hit a GameXchange and a Movie Trading Company store and bought the rest of the games in the stack. The Devil May Cry Collection says "Favorito" on the cover but none of the text on the back is in Spanish, so I bought it out of curiosity since I've never seen another copy like this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

A couple of days ago I went up to a game store that has a few games that I hardly ever see in stores, bought Knight's Contract, Burnout Paradise (I do see this one more often in stores but more expensive), DC Universe Online, and Zone of the Enders HD. The ones with the day-glo price tags are buy-1-get-1-free, so DC Universe was free.

Found out a local retro game and toy store opened up a new location recently, so I went there today and bought Terraria, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Rayman Origins, and the PS1 game called Iwatori Penguin Rocky & Hopper. I've read that the PS3, no matter what version of the machine you have, should be downwardly compatible with PS1 games (regardless of whether your machine has PS2 compatability). But I wasn't sure if the PS1 functionality is region locked. So I bought a cheap game to try that out. That store had a lot of Japanese games, but most of them were either text-heavy RPGs, oddball Simple games like tennis, or games that came out here in English so there's no benefit to buying them. Anyhow, I'm going to try that PS1 game out later tonight. I'm really hoping it'll work, I have a few PS1 games from Japan but I don't have a modded PS1 console to play them on.

Edit: No, the PS3 can't play region-locked PS1 games. Bummer.

Last edited by Steve W; 09-21-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Went to a different location of the retro game and toy store that I bought the games in the previous post at. Bought a Super TV Boy in a battered box for $15. I had to have it. About 25 years ago there was a store in a local mall called Robotica that was all about toy robots of every kind. I came across a markdown table there that had the original TV Boy on it, the oval-shaped one. But they wanted $30, and I didn't have it. Went back weeks later to get it but it was gone. And I've never forgotten about it. Now I have my own version, the upgraded console in fact. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to display on a modern TV.

I also bought Saint Seiya Sanctuary Battle at the same store, it rang up at $35 instead of $38. It's the European version.