Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your pickup loot and finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Went to a flea market in Greenwood, Louisiana today, bought a battered and dirty PS4 for $75. The controller's missing the left analog stick cap and the right's looking like it'll come off with little effort. Driving back I stopped at store called 2nd and Charles and bought Song of the Deep, Exist Archive, and School Girl Zombie Hunter (such a great name for a game). Hit a newly opened GameXchange store and got Agents of Mayhem, Stick It To The Man, Axiom Verge, and X-Blades (PS3). Got the system home, plugged it in to the TV, and the console powers on but there's no video. Picked up a wired 3rd party PS4 controller, and it's still glowing like its getting power, but I can't figure out why there's no video signal. It took me a while just to figure out where the power button was (again, this thing is fairly dirty, that button was covered in crud). I don't know how to proceed from here. Any ideas?

Yesterday I stopped at a GameXchange in Longview, TX and picked up Demon's Souls, Arcania, Adventure Time-Finn & Jake Investigations, Max Payne 3, The Cursed Crusade (all for the PS3), and Text Tiles for the Philips CD-i. There were actually a large amount of Philips CD-i games and things there... a local has been bringing in all sorts of oddities to that store according to the employees. You need a shrinkwrapped 3DO lightgun with Who Shot Johnny Rock and Mad Dog McGee packed in? They had it. Another big box 3DO light gun game the name of which escapes me. Hotel Mario, Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon? They have those too. Some local wanted to clear out all the stuff he doesn't play, and got something like $2500 in store credit there. And he apparently goes back in almost weekly with more boxes of rarities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I took that PS4 into a console repair place. It seems like the HDMI ports on these are a bit weak and contacts break. I'm still on vacation too, so it's over an hour's drive just to drop it off and another hour or so to pick it up. It'll cost $90 for the repair (that is, if there's nothing else wrong with it). Still, I hope it'll work tomorrow when it's ready. I stopped at a second location of GameXchange in the area and bought Metal Wolf Chaos XD, Has-Been Heroes, and Geometry Wars Dimensions - Evolved for the PS4, and Armored Core For Answer for the PS3. There was a nice Limited Run published rhythm game for the PS4 that I thought I should pick up while I can (the name of which escapes me), but since I suck at rhythm games I decided against it. I'm burning through money a bit quicker than I should be for a vacation week, but if the PS4 is working properly I might pick up a Playstation VR set-up when my paycheck gets direct deposited. The GameXchanges around here have used ones for $119. I'm assuming that'll be without the camera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

I have not posted in quite a whileader here but this past weekend I bought some gi joe figures and the guy gave me a loose vertical force for the virtual boy. I dont currently own a virtual boy but do plan on getting one soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Got the PS4's HDMI port fixed and it works now. Against my better judgement and all my morals, I stopped at a GameStop yesterday. Since I own a current game console, I thought I'd check them out to see if they still suck. And of course they do. But I ended up buying Trine Ultimate Collection, Galak-Z/Skulls of the Shogun for $4.99 each, and Trover Saves The Universe. It doesn't require VR but it can use it, so I'm hoping maybe tomorrow I can go into Shreveport (it's a 40 minute drive from where I'm staying this week) and pick up the PS4 VR helmet. I've been dreaming about a decent VR experience since the early '90s, it's about time the technology has caught up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The local Wal-Mart was clearing out a bunch of 3DS titles at rock bottom prices:

$2.50 Yo Kai Watch (quantity 5)
    $7 Mario Kart 7 (Player's Choice)

I think I got enough YKW titles for the kids that want to play it but don't have saves on their brother's copy. I might even dip my toes into this to see what it's all about.

I pulled the trigger on getting a refurb New 2DS XL from Nintendo, which just arrived today. I got to play some Animal Crossing last weekend and had a blast trying to pay off my mortgage and catching up with the residents. With the local price of 2/3DS systems going up ($120 used at my favorite haunt for a New 2DS XL, $70 for a 2DS), I decided to get something that was already fixed up and with a warranty. The 2DS I got from Nintendo was $49 before shipping and my 2DS XL was $99. Now that I had a chance to hold one, I think the D-Pad is going to be easier on my thumb than on my New 3DS. So today I'll be transferring my files and such.

I also, if Best Buy is to believed, scored the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Game and Watch from Best Buy. Amazon was out so fast I never got a notification. Best Buy was trickling these out bit by bit to give people a chance to get one. It took about ten minutes but I was able to secure one and pay for it. It's sitting at the store for pick up, which I'll get on my way back from an appointment and a work errand.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Picked this up earlier in the week. Lucky Goodwill find. It was in a bin next to about 20 copies of Toy Story

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201114_175118.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	10795

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yesterday I hit a couple GameXChange stores along with the 2nd & Charles store picking up interesting and cheap PS4 games to build up my library, and driving home from my vacation week I stopped at the Marshall, TX location and bought even more. Nearly everything was between $4.99 to $8.99, buy 2 get one free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I came home from vacation yesterday. I go into work today only to find out that my boss changed my schedule and I wasn't supposed to work today. Which means I could have taken an extra day of vacation time. That sucks.

So I headed out and hit a few GameXchange stores and a Movie Trading Company. I really appreciate the indie style games for the PS4, it's not all triple-A developers making lowest common denominator games. And each store has a different selection of games, something else I appreciate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yesterday was payday, so I hit a few Game X Change stores and finally found one that had a Playstation VR set. It was $119.95. But then I also had to get two Move controllers which cost $23 each. Then I needed to get the Rick & Morty: Virtual Rickality game, because I've been wondering about it since it was released. I also came across a remake of Battlezone for VR and a copy of Eagle Flight which looks cool. I only have one charging cable for the Move controllers, so I'm going to have to get one of those cheapo charging cradles with my next paycheck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Got a few things, though much at blockbuster prices.

I swung by a thrift store Saturday as I was getting stuff to make for lunch for the brood. For games they had a very festive complete "Christmas Carol" DS game for $2.50. I also came upon a Samsung Galaxy J3 with charger for $2. That thing looks pert-near flawless. I just had to boot into a "safe mode" to factory reset it as the past owner didn't clear anything and had a swipe code. The local art center where my wife works and is the theater chair for is looking to try and do streaming for shows. I figure I could cobble something together with my phone, this J3, my Sony Handicam and my laptop and use Open Broadcaster Software to make it all happen.

I did get my Super Mario Bros Game and Watch, which is really cool! No stand, which sucks and I need a charger, but it is slick. Emulation feels spot on and the screen is crisp. It is now leaning on my Realistic Desk Cube at work. Once I get power for it, hopefully I can keep the clock running. I also decided to get a TurboGrafx-16 Mini off Amazon for $78. It was used, but save for a slight dent in the box, you couldn't tell. Seems to work well for what little I got to play on it.

The local Wal-Mart lowered the price of "The Legend of Zelda: OoT"for the 3DS to $10. I picked up a couple copies for the kids for Christmas.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Yesterday was payday, so I hit a few Game X Change stores and finally found one that had a Playstation VR set. It was $119.95. But then I also had to get two Move controllers which cost $23 each. Then I needed to get the Rick & Morty: Virtual Rickality game, because I've been wondering about it since it was released. I also came across a remake of Battlezone for VR and a copy of Eagle Flight which looks cool. I only have one charging cable for the Move controllers, so I'm going to have to get one of those cheapo charging cradles with my next paycheck.

oh i was wanting to get a PSVR since they are fairly cheap used now, $120 is better than most places.

Eventhough its not a real granturismo game you should try sport in VR its interesting

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Steve W (11-26-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, I've been having problems with the PS4 and Move controllers. Rick & Morty: Virtual Rickality needs Move controllers, but I could only get one to sync. I think the batteries can't hold a charge, so I ordered a couple replacements off Amazon which should be here in a day or two. Battlezone doesn't need Move controllers to play, so I loaded that up. The visuals are only okay, I can't adjust the internal lenses for my eyes like the Virtual Boy could, and the internal screens seemed lower resolution than I thought they'd be. When I had gotten through the menus and was about to start playing, I was suddenly at the PS4 menu screen and the disc was ejected without me doing anything. And then it refused to allow the disc to be put back in. I knew buying a bunch of second-hand game stuff would mean problems, but I hope nothing else on this thing screws up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Got up earlier than normal and went out flea market shopping. And of course, found nothing. So I hit a few GameXchanges coming home. I forgot to put the Move Controller charging stand I bought into the picture, good thing I have one now since I just installed new batteries in the Move Controllers so I can finally use the things. By the way, the Japanese title on top is OneeChambara Z2 Chaos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I took apart the PS4 and fixed the problem with randomly ejecting discs, so I could finally play games for more than a few minutes. I tried out Battlezone VR tonight... I'm probably not going to play too much of that one. Puke-a-tronic. Real motion sickness issues. Maybe I'll need to get my brain used to VR after playing it for a while, kind of like how not gaming after months or years then playing a first-person shooter can make you nauseous. You've got to get used to the fact your eyes are seeing one thing but your inner ear is telling you something else.

I picked up a UK import of Arizona Sunshine today. And this nice styrofoam head to rest my VR helmet on. Got the styrofoam head from a Japanese store chain that entered Dallas a few years ago called Daiso, essentially a Japanese dollar store. The head was in the art section next to little wooden human pose dolls, and it has a very anime girl inspired face. I'm thinking of going back and picking up one of their cheap cosplay-style wigs to go on it so it doesn't look so much like an alien.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

wigs and glitter

go full kawaii on its ass!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Steve W (12-03-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Spent the day mostly stuck in traffic because everybody decided today was the perfect day to drive like douchebags. It's like people think using a turn signal will make their car explode or something. Ugh.

Finally found a store with Mars Odyssey, which I've been interested in for a while. It's VR compatible, and it's basically just you exploring the surface of Mars with a rover, taking soil samples and examining rocks. It sounds kind of relaxing. Also picked up the Carmageddon remake - the original late '90s game was one of my all-time favorite games, I'm hoping they don't go overboard with it and screw it up (like they did with Carmageddon 2 back in the day). The store I bought those two at is a retailer of the Limited Run line of games, and since the Limited Run website is always sold out of everything, I'm going to have to research which ones look like fun and grab 'em fairly soon since I might not ever see them again. They had a case full of PS4 Limited Run releases.

Last edited by Steve W; 12-05-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Carmageddon 64 is one of my favorites "bad games"

how exactly are you posting photos? what are you clicking on? and are you doing it from a phone or a computer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I only post from a computer, and I use ImgBB for storing images online. It's pretty good, so much better than Photobucket. It takes a little bit of effort (I use GraphicConverter for the Mac to crop the picture and resize it), but the site's drag-and-drop and it gives you a variety of link types for whatever you're using it for.

The original Carmageddon was a great little game, I've always loved vehicular combat games so it was like it was made for me. It was published in the UK but nobody in the US bothered to distribute it for a year, so all I had to play was the 5-minute demo game. But frustrated Americans made patches for the demo to shut off the timer and such, so when it was finally published here a bunch of patches were quickly made for it to unlock all sorts of stuff. I loved the crap out of it, and bought a 3DFX Voodoo 1 card just to get the most out of it. I was so excited when Carmageddon 2 came out, and it chugged along with low framerates and badly thought out missions (and that damn warball you get stuck with dragging behind you that means you can't drive worth crap) and upgrading my OS meant it broke the playability of Carmageddon 1. Sigh.

Played the new Carmageddon last night... it was okay, but wandering around the city I hit a power up and got a damn warball and chain. And had no idea how to get rid of it so I can drive more than 30 miles per hour. I hope maybe I can disable it somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yesterday I hit a Movie Trading Company, one that has had a few foreign PS3 games on the shelf, hoping they might have something cool. All I bought there was The Talos Principle. Went to a GameXchange looking for interesting VR games and bought Race The Sun and Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain, a Japanese import. And for the styrofoam head I keep my VR helmet on I bought a wig, some clip-on cat ears, and a neck warmer from the Japanese dollar store Daiso because I'm weird and I wanted to give it some character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I had time tonight to go to a retro game and toy place that recently opened up in Fort Worth, TX called Retro Madness. They've got a bigger selection of import games since I first visited them right after they opened. I ended up buying Nitro Blasterz and Arslan: The Warriors of Legend. Their PS4 selection was pretty tiny. I guess not a lot of people trading in games to a toy store.

On a shelf next to the counter was this beauty, a Shogun Warrior. I've still got my original, with most of the pieces missing but the stickers still on the buckle and chest unlike this one... In case you can't read that price tag, it says $300. Ouch. At least it seems to have the box, which is amazing in this day and age. They don't make toys this cool any more.