Thread: Arcade 1UP Micro Consoles are coming....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Default Arcade 1UP Micro Consoles are coming....

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

unpopular opinion alert... so the original appeal of the arcade machine was to have these things set up in a public space to allow for competition between strangers. winner stays loser pays. to take these things and put them in your home. yeah its cool if youre popular and are throwing parties all the time, have guests over, etc... but when I go to the gaming festivals and I see the SNES consoles set up there to me its kind of similar to seeing an arcade machine at home.

the NBA Jam machine is cool of course but unless theyre setting them up in a real life arcade, I dont care. id rather have an arcade perfect port of it that I can play on my TV.

and Im not being contrarian just for the sake of it but $250+ buys a lot of video games. the actual arcades are expensive ($200-$2000) partly because they are money makers. I cant justify spending this kind of money on an emulated version of a 25 year old game.

there is a target audience for this but its not me. though id really be pumped if they made a machine that integrated a working coin slot because that meand we could see these machines potentially popping up at different establishments

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It's no different than hanging artwork on your wall, and the point of the post was the micro consoles.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't know how well they would play but I chuckled seeing the mini console TV.

I haven't seen the video but if it's not there, a mini Apple IIe with system, disk drives and monitor would be awesome!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I don't know how well they would play but I chuckled seeing the mini console TV.

I haven't seen the video but if it's not there, a mini Apple IIe with system, disk drives and monitor would be awesome!
    Apple doesn't really license their old stuff like that. Atari, Coleco, and Commodore IP holders would sell trademarked toilet paper if they could!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    It's no different than hanging artwork on your wall, and the point of the post was the micro consoles.
    I think its a lot different due to the price discrepancy. An original Mona Lisa is worth hundreds of millions of dollars whereas a licensed reprint is worth less than a hundred dollars. an original NBA Jam Id say is $600-$1500 and Im guessing the 1up version will retail for $300-$400. for not that much more you can get an original one for a third more than what youre paying. the equivalent is like buying a reprint of Mona Losa for a million dollars. doesnt make sense to me but for some I suppose it does. I just know that a lot of the games they are putting out can be played on compilations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thumbs up

For anyone just tuning in, micro arcade/console coverage starts around 2:10 in the video.

And man, do they look great! If the micro TV sets receive generic input (DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI) with the consoles providing generic output, I am sold... If, however, the consoles are tethered to their TV sets with non-detachable wires, I am sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Yet sega has no problem licensing out golden axe the revenge death adder to arcade 1up.Though they can't be bother to give the game a sega ages for switch release.Wtf sega,come on now locking the game out through another system