Thread: Was There Ever a Home Port of Taito's Puzzle de Pon! or Puzzle de Pon! R?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Question Was There Ever a Home Port of Taito's Puzzle de Pon! or Puzzle de Pon! R?

I can't find any definitive information about whether Taito's Puzzle de Pon! or Puzzle de Pon! R ever got a home release anywhere in the world, Japan or otherwise. It's a shame if there are no home ports as Puzzle de Pon! is an excellent Bust-a-Move-style arcade puzzle game.

If you have the time, then you should watch videos of Puzzle de Pon! and/or Puzzle de Pon! R on YouTube to get an idea of how awesome these Taito puzzle games actually are. Sadly, I was able to only ever play it in person once; this was at a Las Vegas arcade perhaps twenty years ago or more. I have never even seen it once in person since then. Information about the games is sparse on the Internet.

I find it strange and ...puzzling... how these games seem to have never gotten a home port to any console or handheld in any way, shape, or form despite how popular Taito's other somewhat similar series, Bust-a-Move (Puzzle Bobble) is. After all, Bust-a-Move has gotten a ton of ports and sequels, many of which were released in the West. But despite all of the ports and compilations of Taito's games, as far as I can find, there have never been any home ports of Puzzle de Pon! nor Puzzle de Pon! R.

I mean, there are the Neo Geo AES / MVS copies of Puzzle de Pon! and Puzzle de Pon! R from back-in-the-day, but while those originals are affordable by Neo Geo standards, the hardware to play them is much more pricey than I'm willing to pay to play! Perhaps I should just buy a MVS copy of Puzzle de Pon! or Puzzle de Pon! R and play it via MAME? I know there is always the option of, "Don't buy anything, just download them from the Internet!" but I'm talking about owning and preferably playing legitimate copies here.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Never even heard of it

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Sorry, but no console releases. Neither even got an AES or CD release. Never included in any of the Taito Legends/Memories compilations, either. MVS only.

EDIT: I linked to playable browser loads but the site has some sketchy ads, and I don't know how many of you aren't running blockers. Google can get you there if you're interested.
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 01-09-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeputyMoniker For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (01-11-2020)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks. I guess I might turn to buying cart(s) and/or running one or both of the games emulated.

That said, if anyone is interested in playing the game, The Internet Archive is hosting Puzzle de Pon! online. Furthermore, there is also a hand-drawn schematic there describing how to fix a common problem with Puzzle de Pon!'s Neo Geo MVS "cassette" (A.K.A. cartridge) where jumper #4 is missing a connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I have a copy of it for my neo-geo cmvs but for ports go it's not even on hamstar arcade archives series either for modern systems.