Thread: Rechargeable 2032 coin batteries? WTF?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Rechargeable 2032 coin batteries? WTF?

Apparently the Dreamcast clock fix requires a "rechargeable" 2032 batt rather than a regular one? What does that even mean? Why wouldnt a standard one work? What makes the rechargeable one a rechargeable one anyways? This is all news to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

They're different battery chemistries to make them rechargeable. Lithium-ion as opposed to just lithium. The rechargeable lir2032's are also a higher voltage. Also, you shouldn't try to charge a regular lithium cell, which the Dreamcast probably tries to do... though I'd hope it has some kind of protection circuitry. I never looked into it.

I recall years ago that someone put AA lithiums in their Wii remotes, and it ended up burning down their house or something like that when it had its buttons held down,I think, in the couch cushions. Moral of the story... don't use the wrong battery type.

Edit--
    I checked the story. The Wii remote exploded damaging stuff in their house with shrapnel... but didn't catch anything on fire. Still though, it was from not using the correct battery type.
    Last edited by jb143; 01-11-2020 at 07:35 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

§ Gideon § (01-12-2020)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

thanks. console5.com is sold out of what I need so Ill have to look elsewhere. i assume its just that it needs a higher voltage then.

i put 2032s in my VMUs and had no issues so it must just be the console that needs rechargeable

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The Sega CD used rechargeable batteries too from what I remember, I'm not sure how easy it would be to replace. I haven't used my system in years and am now wondering how it's holding up.

From what I remember the battery would only be charged when the system was actually powered on, not just plugged in.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you haven't turned on a Sega CD in years, your files are probably all gone and the memory may need formatting as well. I find my files disappear after maybe 6 months of no use. It's similar with my PC Engine Duo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's been many years since I've had my Sega CD hooked up, possibly over 10 years at this point or close to it. I'm just hoping that the battery itself is still good and can be charged when it's turned on. I don't really mind losing the saves themselves as I can start over. It would have been nice if it would charge when just plugged in but you actually have to use the console regularly for it to charge.

With the PC Engine Duo or Turbo Duo it doesn't use a battery for saves, it uses a capacitor, so there's less to go wrong with it compared to a battery. At least assuming the capacitor is still good and not faulty. I don't believe this is a surface mounted capacitor as best as I can recall but they still need to be powered occasionally so they won't go bad. I guess that's something else I'll eventually need to check.

I really need more time to play my games again.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

dont they need to be of the tabbed variety?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    dont they need to be of the tabbed variety?
    You could also get a coin cell holder and solder that in. Then the next time it won't hold a charge anymore, you can simply swap out the battery.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    You could also get a coin cell holder and solder that in. Then the next time it won't hold a charge anymore, you can simply swap out the battery.
    i dont use holders for a multitude of reasons but if it were literally the only option id do that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'm not really sure what you would have against them. When I worked in electronics, we only ever used coin cell holders...and these were high end industrial controllers. What you really don't want to be doing is soldering directly to the battery though. I would imagine that the only reason that Sega didn't use them is to make them cheaper to mass produce.

Your cheapest option would likely be to buy multiples of cells and holders to save on shipping costs and all that, just use the one you need, then sell the rest as lots on eBay or whatever.
    Last edited by jb143; 01-16-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm just glad to know that the correct batteries for the Sega CD are still being made. I thought that years ago people were replacing them with standard non-rechargeable cells because the correct ones weren't available and it caused other complications.

I've actually heard of one time where a battery holder was discouraged and a battery with welded tabs was recommended instead. Specifically it was with a battery for a synthesizer where it was mentioned that the battery could come loose from the holder when being transported. It would have to be opened up to access the battery, but if the battery came out (or just died) then any custom samples would get erased, also if the battery was inserted backwards by mistake it would damage the components. This wasn't a coin cell but a small cylindrical battery. Later revisions changed how the samples were stored so a dead battery wouldn't erase everything to the point of needing recovery software to restore the synthesizer to factory settings.

Besides that it's usually more beneficial to have battery holders and companies avoided installing them to save money, as already mentioned. Except for saving space like with Gameboy/GBC type games where holders won't physically fit in the cart shell.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I'm not really sure what you would have against them. When I worked in electronics, we only ever used coin cell holders...and these were high end industrial controllers. What you really don't want to be doing is soldering directly to the battery though. I would imagine that the only reason that Sega didn't use them is to make them cheaper to mass produce.

Your cheapest option would likely be to buy multiples of cells and holders to save on shipping costs and all that, just use the one you need, then sell the rest as lots on eBay or whatever.
    If they work, they work and for most people im sure thats enough. i just watched a video about batt replacement on SNES and Gen carte that advised against holders because if the cartridge happens to get dropped or knocked hard enough and that battery shifts slightly out of place or falls out altogether than there goes your save data. with my consoles usually on the floor or scattered around I just dont want it getting knocked out od place and would rather have peace of mind knowing its a solid connection

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

ok hang on here.

I have thrown computer towers off of second story buildings and the CMOS batteries never came out of them...
    get a good quality holder and it should be good

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    ok hang on here.

I have thrown computer towers off of second story buildings and the CMOS batteries never came out of them...
    get a good quality holder and it should be good
    Im really interested in knowing what made you throw a computer out of a second story window

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The battery holders I've used have a tight grip. Even if I threw a cart with all my strength against a hard surface, I still doubt the battery would pop loose.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

interesting

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I'm ordering a battery holder and battery for my Dreamcast. I really wish my local game store sold this stuff. I know their logic is "well you'd be the only person buying it" but I could say the same about a loose copy of Carmageddon 64!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I had similar issues with the rechargeable NiCd batteries on the 4 slot MVS boards. Thankfully they did not explode or leak and the boards were spotless.

Managed to switch them to some weird NiMh same spec batteries and they work, though installing them was weird.

There was a hack to use a regular CR2032 but it involved removing a resistor to stop the charging process. I didn't want to risk it so I just placed the recommended replacement.

I presume the Dreamcast should be similar...removing something to stop it from charging and using a normal CR2032. Check online to see.