Thread: How long will it be until the Nintendo-Microsoft-Sony era ends

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default How long will it be until the Nintendo-Microsoft-Sony era ends

Since 2001, the only real console manufacturers have been Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Sega announced that they were exiting the console business in January 2001 I believe. So for 19 years there really hasn't been any change to the the current competitor lineup. Ouya briefly got in the business but failed. Google has attempted to get into the business but isn't it really just console-less gaming? And I dont see them stealing much thunder from anyone.

I dont see any of those three companies going third-party any time soon. I could however see Apple or Tesla put out a gaming console that connects to your TV.

I think that within the next 10 years, we will no longer have exclusive games. Any game will be played on any console. The movie and music industry has been this way for decades. Theres just going to be a generic video game player that will play UHD 4K Blu Ray video games (or possibly 8K) and the royalties thing wont exist anymore.

with all the mergers that keep happening, the less segmented markets seem to be getting (think jail breaking phones and how many phones are unlocked out of the gate so they can be used with any carrier.) I just see a more generic future. controllers are starting to all look the same as well.

discuss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You wonder why some people call themselves PC master race. Everything will eventually go to PC and company will go to the steam type service for their classic console title. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony or Nintendo starts offering apps for PC so they can play their favorite classic game on PC.

As for console, I can see two types of gaming service - dedicated and streaming. Dedicate will be your hardware dealing with the gaming on your local drive while streaming will be using your internet. I am seeing Microsoft go with streaming approach while Nintendo and Sony opt for dedicated hardware approach.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

MS and Sony are already pretty similar. Easy to port a game between the two. Nintendo is the only one really marching to the beat of its own drum. The other two are based heavily on PC-like hardware.

I could see one manufacturer controlling the vast majority of the future, but people will always make niche consoles. Something like how the Windows OS has a vast majority of the market but there's still Apple and Linux, etc. Physical games are here to stay, though.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.