Since 2001, the only real console manufacturers have been Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Sega announced that they were exiting the console business in January 2001 I believe. So for 19 years there really hasn't been any change to the the current competitor lineup. Ouya briefly got in the business but failed. Google has attempted to get into the business but isn't it really just console-less gaming? And I dont see them stealing much thunder from anyone.

I dont see any of those three companies going third-party any time soon. I could however see Apple or Tesla put out a gaming console that connects to your TV.

I think that within the next 10 years, we will no longer have exclusive games. Any game will be played on any console. The movie and music industry has been this way for decades. Theres just going to be a generic video game player that will play UHD 4K Blu Ray video games (or possibly 8K) and the royalties thing wont exist anymore.

with all the mergers that keep happening, the less segmented markets seem to be getting (think jail breaking phones and how many phones are unlocked out of the gate so they can be used with any carrier.) I just see a more generic future. controllers are starting to all look the same as well.

discuss