Thread: Anyone still rocking the non-backlit Game Boys?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Anyone still rocking the non-backlit Game Boys?

I have a black GB Pocket that I haven't touched in months. The ghosting effect on the screen is distracting and it can be annoying to find a good angle to view the screen. Still there is something special about playing on those antiquated devices, flaws and all. So props to anyone who still uses them and the original carts.

Would be cool if someone made an ergonomic and wieldy attachment to put over the GB, Pocket, Color, and GBA just to make the games more playable. Hyperkin need not apply for the task. Retro-Bit?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I still use the original carts, but I use them in my GBA SP. I still have an original Game Boy, a two different colors of the GB Pocket, three different colors of the GBC, and an original GBA, but there's little point in using any of them anymore. But I was using them up until around 2005. I even took a GB Pocket with me to kill time on breaks during my jury duty back in the 00s, so even at that point I was sticking out like a sore thumb. And now it's the SP that makes me look stuck in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I still have a glacier GBA that has its original screen but I don't have great lighting in the house to play it. I am tempted to get a backlit replacement screen but at the same time I like it being unmodded.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I still have a glacier GBA that has its original screen but I don't have great lighting in the house to play it. I am tempted to get a backlit replacement screen but at the same time I like it being unmodded.
    I had a glacier one when I first got it, June 2001. My brother had a white one. Really loved the color schemes on those Game Boys. And yeah I feel the same way about not modding them. I feel like thats what the SP and the Player are for. Nintendo really f***ed up by not putting a backlight on it but in a way I feel it's part of the charm/nostalgia

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I have a purple GBA. For awhile I had an SP but for some reason it stopped powering on.... and then I put its screen into my purple GBA using tools I found online and well... its a model that normally isn't backlit, but I fixed that.

It's still the portable I use most often. I wish I could do a similar mod for my Neo-Geo Pocket Color.

EDIT: Actually I probably would've done the mod even if the SP hadn't gone bust.... one issue I had with the SP was it was uncomfortable to hold. The vanilla GBA did not have that problem, at least for my hands.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 02-09-2020 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I had a glacier one when I first got it, June 2001. My brother had a white one. Really loved the color schemes on those Game Boys. And yeah I feel the same way about not modding them. I feel like thats what the SP and the Player are for. Nintendo really f***ed up by not putting a backlight on it but in a way I feel it's part of the charm/nostalgia
    True, but nostalgia ia a funny thing. We can be nostalgic about something that had something negative about it but that doesn't mean we have to deal it. I'm nostalgic for my 1979 Chevy Monza- the bucket seats, great stereo system and the memories that went with it. However I wouldn't want to drive it again: bent frame, front piece held on with duct tape, lazy headlight, vehicle shook at 60 MPH, etc.

I have a front lit modded GBA which I built using a beat up GBA SP screen and a beat up GBA. The Glacier I might keep pristine for collectiblity's sake but I probably won't play it. I also have DS Lites I could us to play GBA games too.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

My GBA is modded for the backlight, as is my Lynx, Game Gear, and soon Neo Geo PC, and probably a GBC too. My eyesight is fine, but you get used to seeing everything you use lit up, and it's tough. The original Game Boy I can still see fine, but any kind of color systems NEEDS to be lit up.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yupyup

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i still play my original gameboy from time to time, there's a nice part in my house at a certain time of day when the light is just right
    Any tennis videogame is a glorified version of pong.